Vera device as a trigger for Alexa routines

@Ioana

For you clarification i am refering to all plugins that currently work with vera and all scenes and all lua code, So i ask you for a third time will i have to re-write, start from scratch?

Am I missing something? How can the Vera Plus be a legacy product when you are still selling it?

4 Likes

LOL. so true

If you want to use Openluup, I have a solution for you:

Coming soon (with 7.32) to a Vera OS device. It is supported under Vera as well, but you need a port of jq that should be available only in 7.32+ firmware (but that I already have installed and it’s working very well for me).

I have several scenes triggering Alexa routines (ie: setting dot not disturb when I receive a call, or based on our bed presence, starting music and dimming lights at Christmas time, and so on).

That’s unfortunate that they’re leaving us behind (I developed Alexa Skills and the requested feature are 2-3 days of a capable dev at maximum), and this should be taken into account when you’ll made your next controller choice… As stated elsewhere, I’ll soon migrate to a ZWay+Openluup solution as pioneered by @rafale77, @akbooer and @DesT.

3 Likes

Forgive my ignorance,
What is UQ package, where to download it and how to install it?

it’s a package to parse json via command line: jq

You’ll have to build yourself and load in your unit.

I have firmware 7.31 which is the latest.
Has anything happened yet that allows VERA to trigger ALEXA routines.???
This has been going on too long :frowning:

Nope. fw 7.32 (in beta now) it’s the minimum, unless you want to install openLupp on a RaspberryPI or similar.

So FW7.32 allows vera devices as triggers for alexa routines natively ?

1 Like

No, we’re speaking about VeraAlexa plugin here.

Well hoping it is something easy to deploy and keen to test this integration

It’s not very difficult and a lot of people here are already running it for text to speech.

Well I still have no means of triggering Alexa routines from my VeraPlus motion and temperature sensors.

And there is NO WAY I would but a new device from the company that supplied my current device because my current device is not supported. Support my old device, and I’ll upgrade when I’m ready.

Well, I’m an independent developer and I’ve stopped supporting my Vera plugins, so I’m happy you don’t need this feature, since I’m not gonna support it anyway.

I’m confused. I DO need this feature. And I will add this feature. Obviously not with Vera. My point was that I will not be upgrading to ezlo in order to get this feature. I will use another solution.

Regards.

Coming in late to this conversation…after reading through…not sure where we are at today after original request (4 years later).

Is there a way to make a Vera z-waze devices a trigger for Alexa routines? Using a plugin for virtual switches perhaps?

I would think it would be more organized to have Vera host the automation and not Alexa.

Use scenes to create the actions desired.
Trigger these scenes with logic in Vera; trigger off of a device, a schedule, or a manual trigger in Vera, or a voice command from Alexa. In this scenario Alexa would just be an input device to Vera which seems pretty stable.

The main issue is we’d like to take advantage of the features offered by alexa.

For example my usecase is:

1. If motion sensor tripped in morning after 7am, then
  2. Run “alexa, start my day” routine. Which does the following:
    2a. State the Date.
    2b. State the weather.
    2c. State today’s family calendar.
    2d. State tomorrow’s family calendar.
    2e. Start playing Tunein Radio on Sonos.

This calendar is already linked to alexa.

Pobably my own in-experience, but although all this can be programmed into vera, I have found the Gcal plugin complicated / non-functional. It seems simpler just to make alexa recognize my motion sensor as a trigger then execute built in functions.

As it is currently, I just have to say “Alexa, start my day”. But of course…i want to automate… :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth I am able to trigger a scene using my Ezlo. She just says “someone is here” when the driveway sensor is tripped.