Ventilation window Control

Can anyone recommend a switch to provide automated control for a ventilation Window? Hopefully Zwave. The attached photo shows the existing connectivity. Any suggestions welcome.

Looks like it is passing 220V AC. A standard Zwave light switch won’t work?

Agreed - it’s only 6A so a dual-light switch would be fine, but you could go a dual-relay if you wanted to be absolutely sure.

The circuit is on a 5A fuse. When you say a dual light switch, I take it that you’re saying wire it such that each direction then has one switch (i.e. 1st switch on=up and 2nd switch on=down). The current manual switch is essentially a rocker switch each end controlling a different direction. With a dual light switch would that not mean that it is possible to have both ‘on’ and therefore calling the motor in opposite directions? Ideally I was seeking a zwave rocker switch, but I guess that doesn’t exist?

You could wire into that switch on of our dual relays.
https://www.007systems.com/z-wave-relay-dual.html

[quote=“Jamr, post:5, topic:198610”]You could wire into that switch on of our dual relays.
https://www.007systems.com/z-wave-relay-dual.html[/quote]

There are a number of relays which do this. I have curtains controlled this way using a monoprice dual relay.

You need a single pole, dual throw relay which makes it impossible for both contacts to be powered at the same time. The dual Z-Wave relays mentioned can be used, but be aware that an error in setting up your scene or a glitch might turn both on at the same time.

Okay that’s a valid concern.

In that case what about the Fibaro Roller Shutter - https://www.fibaro.com/en/products/roller-shutter-2/

That puppy is specifically designed for exactly this application.

It looks like it has the correct functionality, as least as far as the switch goes. A couple of things—it’s rated for 1.7A for inductive loads, and I think you said you need 6A? This device is designed to run the motors for a short period of time while opening and closing a shutter. I don’t know how it would do (assuming that it could supply the desired load current) if run for a long period of time. I suspect this device is too lightweight for your application.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I’m going to try the fibaro device as having watched the installation video they provide it pretty much showed the exact wiring of my current setup and means that the existing switch is usable as well which would be great in terms of other household members. I’ll try it out and report back and if successful adopt it for other such windows. :slight_smile:

Got one of the Fibaro Roller shutter 2 devices and installed it behind the existing rocker switch. Works no problem at all. I’ve not been able to configure it to do partial opening as opposed to just open and close, but since its just a ventilation window, its not the end of the world. The manual switch works as it did before and I can now control it with Logic from Vera, excellent. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the follow-up—it’s always nice to hear success stories!

Better still, managed to find an easy way to configure to allow partial opening;

Calibration through the switch keys

1. Make sure the module is connected to the power supply.
  2. Include the module into the Z-Wave network.
  3. Press and hold the switch key connected to S1 or S2 input terminal and release it after at least 3 seconds.
  4. Press and hold the same switch key again, and release it after 3 seconds.
  5. Now press and hold the same button, for 3 seconds, for the 3rd time.
  6. After pressing and releasing the button for the third time, automatic calibration sequence will start.
  7. Roller Shutter performs the calibration process, completing full cycle - up, down and up again.

Bingo, works a treat.

Fantastic I thought you’d be okay - the 6A rating was for the switch itself I couldn’t imagine a motor controlling a window would draw even a fraction of that. Worst case all the Fibaro swtiches have overload protection in them so you wouldn’t have damaged it.

I can’t rave enough about their dimmer units - they support all sorts of different types of dimmers, and when first powered up will automatically test and adjust themselves to match what they are connected to. Likewise their dual switches are great, I have them all over my house.

Just a shame I heard as many horror stories about their gateway - in hindsight Vera has turned out to be just as troublesome so I kinda wish I went with Fibaro for that too now because of how good their products are. But at the same time their gateway is very old now - hard to justify paying such a huge premium for hardware that’s so out of date. Odd given all their Z-wave devices have recently been updated and are top of the range - albeit Aeotec still have an advantage with their multi-sensor as it can have power hardwired and then act as a repeater, which at ceiling level is brilliant compared to wall outlet based ones).