Using Vera with a non-Vera remote controller

After months of looking, I finally bought a VeraLite and 1 light controller (I’ll add more later.). Because I am trying to replace the functionality I used to have with an X10 setup, I also bought a GE Wireless Lighting Control Remote. On my X-10 setup I have an automatic setting that turned the light on at a certain time and then off several hours later. Because sometimes you want the light on/off at other times than the scheduled time, I had a separate manual controller that I could push the button and turn the light on or off.

I want to duplicate that process with Vera. I setup a scene to turn the light on at dusk and off at 10:00PM. My wife doesn’t have a smart phone so I wanted a way to push a button on the GE wireless controller to turn on/off the light at other times. I can’t figure out how to use the GE device. Do I connect it as an additional controller to the Vera and if so, how do I do that? Can I pair my modules with both the Vera and the GE controller and if so, how is that done? For reference, the GE device is a Wireless Lighting Control Remote Model 45600.

Thanks

Which GE remote? There are several.

Lots of ways to skin this cat, but I’d recommend keeping it simple.

Add the handheld controller as a secondary controller, this will transfer all the information about the Z-Wave network’s devices into the handheld controller.

In the Vera UI5 click the Devices tab and then Add Devices. At the bottom of the page is the section “Advanced Z-Wave devices”, click Add and then “Add one”, etc.

Next you’ll need to associate a button on the hand held remote to a scene or device. To do that:

[ol][li]Click the wrench icon on the scene you wish to work with.[/li]
[li]Go to the Triggers tab and click Add. [/li]
[li]Give the trigger a name and set it to immediate.[/li]
[li]Choose your handheld remote from the Device dropdown and choose a scene is activated from the What type of event dropdown.[/li]
[li]Name the trigger.[/li]
[li]In the Which scene number field, enter the scene button number on the remote that you wish to assign to this scene. Let’s say 4[/li]
[li]Now click Confirm changes. Then click Save.[/li][/ol]

At this point pressing the Scene button and then button 4 on the handheld remote should run the scene you just configured, turning on your light.

Thank you for the quick reply. Your answer works perfectly. I have one other question that I don’t understand. I created a scene that turns on the light and assigned it to button 1 on the remote. When I press the on from button 1 the light comes on and works great. When I press the off from button 1, the light goes off. I’m not complaining because that is what I want it to do, I just don’t understand how it is working. I don’t have a scene assigned to the button that turns the light off. How does it know to turn the light off?

As a test, I tried the other buttons as well. Every button turn on and off the light. Why is it doing that?

This is a confusing “hidden” feature of this remote. Each numbered button sends two different commands(at least), Scene_On and Scene_Off(there is dim as well). Vera rather intelligently interprets the Scene_off as device_off or opposite of scene_on, rather than just end_of_scene.