Using US frecuency Z-wave products in other countries (Argentina)

Hi, my name is Diego Recondo, I’m from Argentina and I would like to know if I’ll have any problema if I install Z-wave products with US frecuency in Argentina (I think there isn’t any frecuency defined here yet) and in the future the country adopts a different frecuency for Z-wave.
Thanks

I would suggest that you search this forum as there have been a number of posts asking of using products with different frequencies from another country. You will have to look up the laws in your country to see if it is legal to use that frequency. You will also have to make sure that the US products work on the power your country runs on. US products work on the 908 frequency and on 120V. You will also have to use a Vera that has the US based z-wave chip in it.

• Garrett

There is a problem. But it’s not so much about the frequency, which is unregulated in Chile. The problem is finding devices that are compatible with your electrical system. Something I suspect you are already familiar with.

U.S. Z-Wave products operate at 908.4MHz. Due to the U.S. electrical system, most U.S. Z-wave devices operate at 120Volt 60Hz. These would not work with Argentina’s 220Volt 50Hz electrical system.

Chile uses an electrical system compatible with Argentina’s 220Volts 50Hz and Chile’s Z-Wave frequency is 908.4Mhz. So, if you source your Z-Wave products from Chile, you may be better served.

Alternatively, EU Z-Wave products use 230Volt 50Hz electrical and a Z-Wave frequency of 868.4Mhz. This may be an option.

Brazil uses 921.4MHz for Z-Wave but their electrical system is also incompatible with Argentina’s, so they won’t be much help.

Hi,
I’m located in Argentina too… what Garret said is 100% true… (in fact, he is one of the most experienced in Z-wave in this forum).

Because of most of the US versions have a great variety of devices for 908.4Mhz BUT, all of them 110VAC, it does NOT apply at all.

You are allright, ARGENTINA has not defined frequency yet… but who cares?

In my case, due to several devices already available for 220VAC and with IRAM2073 plug (same as China/Australian), I’ve decided for the EUROPEAN frequency version, that can manage both… 220VAC and IRAM2073.

Take a look at aliexpress and you can see some TBK plugins & dimmers with chinese/australian plug and EU frequency (868.4Mhz).

I hope this helps!
Cheers from Buenos Aires! ;D

Z-waver deserves the credit. He was very detailed in his response.

• Garrett

Hi guys, I also live in Argentina and love Zwave (I have around 25 devices currently installed), what I chose in order for everything to work was the Australian band (921.42mhz) since the plugs are the same as the argentine IRAM2073 plugs in Australia, so it requires little modification for devices that plug into the wall. In order to get the products, I have had a very good experience having www.smartliving.com.au ship me stuff here, as long as you ask them.

Note that IRAM 2073; although very similar to australian plugs; it’s not the same.
Besides the insulation; it can be very dangerous to swap australian and IRAM cables; because the neutral and live are REVERSED. It can damage products and risk of fire.

Australia:

Argentina:

In Costa Rica there is no certification of Zwave frequencies but it makes sense to use Zwave US ( 904 Mhz) and not Zwave EU ( 868 Mhz) or other Zwave frequencies as many latin america countries follow US standards like for electricity ( 1 phse 110V + neutral or 220V using 2 phases of 110V) or like for GSM network in 850 MHZ band ( Europe is 900 Mhz ) .

So it is not good to mix frequencies spectrum , for example Zwave EU 868 Mhz and GSM US 850 Mhz due to possible interferences.

On my side i am using the Zwave US version even if nothing is defined by the regulator in Costa Rica.

Concerning the Power supply , The Zwave controllers (like mobile phone) are compatible 110-220V so no issue except the power connector which can be different in some counties .

In conclusion : My Verlite US version is 100% working fine in Costa Rica.

The Zwave alliance has published a document showing the certified ZWave frequencies for 86 countries , including Costa Rica

—>> http://z-wave.sigmadesigns.com/docs/Z-Wave_Frequency_Coverage.pdf

So that a lot of different frequencies to support for Zwave suppliers

Hi!, I?m in Argentina too!, I?have Zwave US (904 MHZ) because the devices are more cheap and there are more options, in my case, for the AC control i used ZWN-RSM2 modules, they are 120-277VAC, 50/60Hz, an i?ve one Philo PAN04 that works in 220v and have power meter too!.
The rest of devices works with different voltages, for example the FIBARO RGBW (12v), or batteries.
this is my experience! :wink:
best regards!
Marcelo

I’m on the same boat. The frequency adopted in Brazil is the same as the freq. adopted in Australia. The prices for these products is simply ridiculous. So I decided to use US z-wave products anyway. But there is a but… I live in the southern region of Brazil, which runs on 220v/60Hz. Because of that, I’ve had a hard time finding switches that use the US frequency and are also 100-240v/60hz. Eventually I decided to give Leviton’s VCRS2 (2 switches controlling 2 loads) a try. They DO WORK well, as long as you can get the Vera do include them without breaking the buttons associations with the loads. It takes several tries and you DO HAVE to take the Vera as close to the VCRS2 as possible. Your mileage may vary…

[size=10pt][font=arial]Hi, my name is Ramon and I have no experience in z wave. I want to buy a controller and devices. Can someone explain to me what happens with the issue of frequencies? The controller and devices have to be either from the US or the US? For the frequencies … Thanks[font=arial][/font][/font][/size]

Due to various reasons (mainly legal regulations) some frequencies free foru use in one part of the world are restricted in another part.
Your devices and controller should work on the same frequency to be able to communicate, otherwise they won’t work.
For example if your controller works on US frequency then it won’t work with devices sold on EU, Australian or Russian market, to name few different ranges.

Here you have wikipedia page where Z-wave frequencies are listed: Z-Wave - Wikipedia

Sometimes people want to use controllers from other region than they are located, for example because the network in their neighbourhood is crowded on the “local” frequency. Using different one may improve range in such case. But you have to remember that if that frequency is restricted (i.e. reserved for emergency services) you may pay a penalty if they find that you use it.