Using light on as a trigger--lutron dimmer

Not sure the best place to post this, but thought I’d start here and see if anyone had thoughts.

We have lutron dimmer switches installed and I’m running the RadioRA2 plugin. I’m trying to use a light turned on as a trigger to execute a scene (turn on several other lights). The lutron switches have instant status and as soon as the light is switched on it shows up as on in vera, but doesn’t seem to be working to trigger my scene.

Has anyone else run across this? Not sure if it’s the lutron, the dimmer aspect or something else. Any thoughts?

ETA: Just tried this in a simplified fashion with a lutron light switch that is just on/off and worked fine, so for some reason a dimmer switch at 100%, showing as ‘on’ in the UI, isn’t triggering correctly. Would love input if others have used a dimmer to trigger a scene. Trying to figure out if this is a lutron issue or a dimmer issue.

Leviton Zwave dimmers work fine to trigger scenes.

The plugin for the Lutron might only be reporting a change in Loadlevel and not an off/on state, since it is not a true zwave device. You might try using PLEG you can watch for a change in level as a trigger if on/off is not reporting correctly.

I am playing around with lutron and vera. I can make a scene that triggers from a lutron dimmer button switch. In the vera scene i picked the button to turn the dimmer on and it works fine. I imagine if you want it to work from hitting the dim up button you would need that as a trigger.

Each lutron dimmer button is reported seperatly in vera.

edit. I made my scene with the pico companion not the dimmer switch itself. Looking into that now.

It appears when you press a button on the lutron dimmer it controls the load directly and does not send a command to the smartbridge. The pico’s send commands to the smartbridge so they can be detected by vera.

Yes, RS7 but note that the Vera UI does update almost instantly that the light is on.

That is why I suspect you can watch the associated variables on the light (either the on/off target or the light level variables) to trigger conditions in PLEG which will give you the affect of triggering a scene.

[quote=“shallowearth, post:6, topic:188981”]Yes, RS7 but note that the Vera UI does update almost instantly that the light is on.

That is why I suspect you can watch the associated variables on the light (either the on/off target or the light level variables) to trigger conditions in PLEG which will give you the affect of triggering a scene.[/quote]

Yes, it should work, but for some reason I’m not having any luck using the on/off variables to trigger in pleg or using lua commands. I must be doing something wrong, but can’t seem to figure out what.

Attach PLEG status report

Thanks all. Note that after I realized this was a lutron specific issue, I started a thread in the lutron plugin section here:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,17772.msg250663.html#msg250663

Probably more appropriate to continue discussion there. Apologies for the duplicate. Shallowearth, thanks for responding over there.