USB to serial device not recognised

Hi,
After having no luck with the USB UIRT I tried a USB to serial device.
All i have tried is plugin it in as thats all I can find on the forums.
The device is not recognised. I have tried both usb ports & tried restarting the Vera3 ut still no luck.
I need to at least get one of these devices working.

Cheers
Beags

Not all usb to serial devices are created equal. Please tell us what usb serial device you have.

• Garrett

Hi Garrett,
It is a prolific USB to Serial port adaptor.

Cheers
Beags

[quote=“Beags, post:3, topic:180804”]Hi Garrett,
It is a prolific USB to Serial port adaptor.

Cheers
Beags[/quote]

Hi, Have you confirmed Vera has found/seen the adaptor ?

By using SSH access, you could try this on the command line and look for the prolific adaptor

dmesg | grep -i tty

Hey Parkerc,

Not sure what you mean

[quote=“Beags, post:5, topic:180804”]Hey Parkerc,

Not sure what you mean[/quote]

He is asking if you have logged into your vera via ssh and issued the command that he specified to see if the underlying OS recognizes the actual usb device. If you do not see any reference to the usb device, than Vera will not be able to use it.

• Garrett

Hi Garrett,
I meant not sure what he means by SSH. Is there a how to somewhere?

Cheers
Beags

I have downloaded & try to use Putty.

I can’t get past the password.
I have tried the user name & password I use for the web interface. Is that correct?

Cheers
Beags

User name is root and password is located under your Vera 3.

• Garrett

I tried a different one & this is what has come up.

Kernel command line: console=ttyS1,57600 board=NA900 rootfstype=squashfs,jffs2
console [ttyS1] enabled
serial8250: ttyS0 at MMIO 0x10000500 (irq = 13) is a 16550A
serial8250: ttyS1 at MMIO 0x10000c00 (irq = 20) is a 16550A
usb 2-2: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Any idea how to get started with this?

Cheers
Beags

Hi all,

What I want to do is setup the serial device & send the following commands
ka 01 01(CR) This will turn the tele on
ka 01 00(CR) This will turn the tele off
Ultimately I will need to setup a couply of buttons using Authomation & Tasker on the tablet

Is there any current documentation around that would help guide me through the process?

Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
Beags

Is this even possible?

If I go to Develop apps my devices is there.
What I need is direction from there.

Can anyone help?

This is becoming way to frustrating,
After searching & searching I believe I need the simple serial plugin.
When you try find that it goes in circles & even examples are no longer available.

Am I wasting my time? or is there genuin help around

Beags, your best bet is to find an existing plugin that sort of does something similar to what you want, then copy it and modify it until it does what you really want. There is no manual, no SDK, just a body of working sample code that some of us have figured out. The biggest repository of code is at code.mios.com. Or you can install a plugin from apps.mios.com and then look at the new D_.xml and I_.xml files that it installed on your Vera.

You should not need the Simple Serial plugin. That was a hack which is now made unnecessary by the presence of the luup.io.open() function. Which you also do not need if you are doing everything over serial, because you can associate a plugin with a (USB-to-)serial port directly in its Advanced tab. Your plugin should just do calls to luup.io.write(). If you search for that function name on code.mios.com or here on the forum you will probably find some sample code to mess with.

Controlling AV equipment over a serial line is definitely possible, but you are going to have to get over the learning hump largely with your own effort. We other users on the forum can probably help it you have a targeted question, but you’ll need to show some progress before we invest our free time. Historically most new users don’t follow through once they realize how much time they have to invest in making a custom plugin, so the onus is on you to convince us you are not like them.

Be aware also that only a few of us are doing the infrared thing (I’m not) so you may find that the pool of users who have been there before you dwindles quickly. You may find yourself trailblazing sooner than you like.

Don’t be afraid to post the code you’re working with. The more specific your question the more likely someone on the forum will be able to point out a mistake or a wrong assumption.

Thanks futzle,
I try login at http://code.mios.com but it doesn’t except same user name & password?
I have fumbled my way around looking to for code or plugins to control my LG TV & found the following 2 files D_LGSL8x00TV & I_LGsl8x00
I attempted to change the following lines in the I_LGsl8x00.xml file
luup.io.write(“ka 1 00” … string.char(13))
with this luup.io.write(“ka 01 00(CR)” … string.char(13)) as it needs the CR
I uploaded these files to Luup files sections
I created a device called D_LGSL8x00TV
I reloaded & i saw The lg appear as a device
I tried to run the off command & got a error & then the device disappeared.

I don’t mind learning but i need to be pointed in the right direction. I am stabbing in the dark here now for 2 weeks & achieved nothing.
Initially all i wanted to do was install a USB UIRT but this apparently wasn’t compatible with UI6
I downgraded as per supports request & still cant use the USB UIRT.
so I try save them the effort I get 2 different USB to serial devices & manage to get one recognised & then run into this.

It shouldn’t be this difficult.
All I want to do is turn a TV on & Off

Thanks for the advice I appreciated it
Cheers
Beags

I attempted to change the following lines in the I_LGsl8x00.xml file luup.io.write("ka 1 00" .. string.char(13)) with this luup.io.write("ka 01 00(CR)" .. string.char(13)) as it needs the CR

the appended … string.char(13) is a carriage-return. Try: luup.io.write(“ka 01 00” … string.char(13))

I tried to run the off command & got a error & then the device disappeared.

What was the error? Was there an entry in LuaUPnP.log?

[quote=“Beags”]It shouldn’t be this difficult.
All I want to do is turn a TV on & Off[/quote]

Reality check: you are the only person in the world who wants to do this, with that TV model, with Vera, this month. It will be hard. Until it is easy.

It’s not clear to me that you know the exact series of bytes that you need to transmit. You’ve written “ka 01 10(CR)” or something similar. That is a 12-byte string starting with “k” (ASCII for byte value 107) followed by “a” (97) followed by " " (32, space), and so on. Is that right? Or are you actually needing to send binary bytes outside the ASCII range?

You are trying to learn how to create plugins, how to do serial communication, and how to talk to a device (the TV) all in one go. Perhaps you are also learning how to program. Is there a way for you to break the problem into smaller pieces? Can you control the TV from a Real Computer first? (My point is: your plugin may be perfect, and we will never know.)

Do you know about the LuaUPnP.log file? Without looking at that file you are flying blind.

I have no idea about anything :slight_smile:
So no i don’t know about the LuaUPnP.log file.

I know that comand works with the equipment because it worked with Girder & a GC-100 device (Which i know means nothing when it comes to the Vera3 box.
The manual say

Power Off (Command Charset) ka 01 00(CR)
(Command Converted hexadecimal) 6B 61 20 30 31 20 30 30 0D

Mate I have [quote=“futzle, post:18, topic:180804”][/quote]
You are trying to learn how to create plugins, how to do serial communication, and how to talk to a device (the TV) all in one go. Perhaps you are also learning how to program. Is there a way for you to break the problem into smaller pieces? Can you control the TV from a Real Computer first?
[/quote]

Your right trying to do all this with no idea. It did work like I said with a pc running girder sending commands to global cache device.

Can’t even post properly :frowning: