US USB Dongle and Europe USB Dongle at same time

Is it possible to have an US USB Dongle and Europe USB Dongle working at the same time on Vera and controlling different z-wave modules?
Best regards,
Marcelo ???

Did you ever receive a satisfactory answer to this inquiry, K.??

I think it’s an interesting question, and wonder if many others besides you would ever want/need both US and EU functionality (and why).

I have the same question as well.
In my situation, I live in 220 volt electricity and would like to use Schlage LiNK (US version only). So, I currently need to use both US and EU usb dongles on the same Vera controller.

The last I was told, this will not work. Vera will recognize only one of the sticks. A few possible solutions/suggestions but MCV will have to give the official answer.

1. Add code to be able to use 2x sticks
  2. Once the code comes out to use multiple Vera’s, have 1 with a US and the other with an EU.

I never fully understood (well, probably because nobody has bothered to explain) why Z-Wave broadcasts on different frequencies in different parts of the world.

On the one hand, it would make sense if this is strictly an “available RF spectrum” question and the Z-Wave Alliance, along with Zensys, had no choice.

However, it would make less sense if the dichotomy arises solely due to marketing pressures, such as the infamous “DVD Region Code” for movie distribution, etc.

Can anyone shed some light on just why there are EU and US versions of Z-Wave? I’ve read the wiki and emerged unenlightened.

It’s strictly an RF spectrum issue. The 900 MHz spectrum used in the US is not available worldwide.

Same issue occurs with other 900 MHz devices. The 2.4 GHz spectrum doesn’t have this problem hence its wide usage.

For line powered stuff there’s also the added complications of needing to deal with different voltages, frequencies, and certification authorities.

[quote=“steveg, post:6, topic:164692”]It’s strictly an RF spectrum issue. The 900 MHz spectrum used in the US is not available worldwide.

Same issue occurs with other 900 MHz devices. The 2.4 GHz spectrum doesn’t have this problem hence its wide usage.

For line powered stuff there’s also the added complications of needing to deal with different voltages, frequencies, and certification authorities.[/quote]

TO me it looks like everyone has 900 MHz – but slightly off :wink: :wink:

The Z-Wave is on 900 MHz ISM band:
908.42MHz (United States);
868.42MHz (Europe);
919.82MHz (Hong Kong);
921.42MHz (Australia/New Zealand).

Z-Wave operates on a variety of sub-GigaHertz frequencies throughout the world:

Australia: 921.42 MHz
China: 868.42 MHz
CEPT*: 868.42 MHz
India: 865.22 MHz
Japan: 951-956 MHz
Hong Kong: 919.82 MHz
Malaysia: 868.10 MHz
New Zealand: 921.42 MHz
Singapore: 868.42 MHz
UAE: 868.42 MHz
USA/Canada: 908.42 MHz
Brazil: 908.42 MHz

*CEPT is the European regional organization dealing with postal and telecommunications issues and presently has 45 Members: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, San Marino, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom and Vatican.