Upgrading from VeraLite to VeraPlus (my experience so far)

After ironing out all the issues I would say that I am very happy with my upgrade from VeraLite to VeraPlus. The UI is far better. Creating a scene is almost mindless task now. The new unit is much faster too.

My set up is mostly switches and outlets. I have AD2USB wired to Vista P20. Lenear relay with Ecolink tilt sensor for garage door opening.
I have VeraAlerts, Garage Door, Day or Night, Honeywell Ademco Vista Alarm Panels via AD2USB, Countdown Timer and Vacation Ghost apps.

Cons:

[ul][li]no Homebuddy, or AuthomationHD support for UI7[/li]
[li]Vera app for android sucks major balls - the iPhone version is much better[/li]
[li]there is some learning curve associated with transitioning to UI7[/li][/ul]

Problems I ran into:

[ul][li]Honeywell Ademco Vista Alarm Panels via AD2USB - this plugin migrated with only couple problems. For some reason I see two ports in my serial ports list in Vera UI and to make this plugin to work, I had to associate the panel with the second one.[/li]
[li]Honeywell Ademco Vista Alarm Panels via AD2USB - Alarm panel widget had a message on it that it “Can’t detect device” even thought the arming and disarming worked. Had to clear that by executing luup.set_failure(FALSE, )[/li]
[li]VeraAlerts had to be manually upgraded. The standard going to apps>details> upgrade did not work. Had to run http://YourVeraIPAddress:3480/data_request?id=update_plugin&Plugin=3008[/li]
[li]VeraAlerts needed a new license, but I kind of expected that[/li]
[li]Ecolink tilt sensor gave me some grief. For one, it is not able to be paired with more then one zwave network and the upgrade leaves devices included in your old vera. It took me a while to figure that out. So I basically had to exclude from old vera, delete from veraplus and re-include.[/li]
[li]Ecolink tilt sensor is battery powered and I had to do some juggling to get it working in the new firmware. The sensor goes to sleep before Vera is able to send commands to it, so I had to keep it awake for sufficiently long while clicking on “Configure node now”. Pressing the tamper switch 3 times in 1.5 seconds might have helped to keep it awake longer. I just read it in relation to some other sensor so I tried it. Still not 100% convinced what made it work[/li]
[li]Scenes - when creating new scenes (or for migrated scenes from UI5), you will have to select in which house modes the scenes are active. Otherwise the scenes won’t fire on schedule or trigger.[/li][/ul]

hi Peterv did you have any way of removing the second serial port created? same issue here with my alarm system and i have had some issues setting the device to the alarm device. is there a way to create/remove the wrong device?

[quote=“peterv”]After ironing out all the issues I would say that I am very happy with my upgrade from VeraLite to VeraPlus. The UI is far better. Creating a scene is almost mindless task now. The new unit is much faster too.

My set up is mostly switches and outlets. I have AD2USB wired to Vista P20. Lenear relay with Ecolink tilt sensor for garage door opening.
I have VeraAlerts, Garage Door, Day or Night, Honeywell Ademco Vista Alarm Panels via AD2USB, Countdown Timer and Vacation Ghost apps.

Cons:

[ul][li]no Homebuddy, or AuthomationHD support for UI7[/li]
[li]Vera app for android sucks major balls - the iPhone version is much better[/li]
[li]there is some learning curve associated with transitioning to UI7[/li][/ul]

Problems I ran into:

[ul][li]Honeywell Ademco Vista Alarm Panels via AD2USB - this plugin migrated with only couple problems. For some reason I see two ports in my serial ports list in Vera UI and to make this plugin to work, I had to associate the panel with the second one.[/li]
[li]Honeywell Ademco Vista Alarm Panels via AD2USB - Alarm panel widget had a message on it that it “Can’t detect device” even thought the arming and disarming worked. Had to clear that by executing luup.set_failure(FALSE, )[/li]
[li]VeraAlerts had to be manually upgraded. The standard going to apps>details> upgrade did not work. Had to run http://YourVeraIPAddress:3480/data_request?id=update_plugin&Plugin=3008[/li]
[li]VeraAlerts needed a new license, but I kind of expected that[/li]
[li]Ecolink tilt sensor gave me some grief. For one, it is not able to be paired with more then one zwave network and the upgrade leaves devices included in your old vera. It took me a while to figure that out. So I basically had to exclude from old vera, delete from veraplus and re-include.[/li]
[li]Ecolink tilt sensor is battery powered and I had to do some juggling to get it working in the new firmware. The sensor goes to sleep before Vera is able to send commands to it, so I had to keep it awake for sufficiently long while clicking on “Configure node now”. Pressing the tamper switch 3 times in 1.5 seconds might have helped to keep it awake longer. I just read it in relation to some other sensor so I tried it. Still not 100% convinced what made it work[/li]
[li]Scenes - when creating new scenes (or for migrated scenes from UI5), you will have to select in which house modes the scenes are active. Otherwise the scenes won’t fire on schedule or trigger.[/li][/ul][/quote]
I have authomation working. In the authomation thread is a version which also works on ui7.

I have not found a way to remove it. I just left it in there. My alarm is working as long as it is associated with the right port. As far as I know it will let you assign it only to one port, despite what I have seen other posts claim.

I had Authomation working on my Plus, but I switched to ImperiHome about a year ago and I’m VERY satisfied. I was comfortable with Authomation and it worked great, but as good as it is, it really is inevitable because Authomation is no longer developed. ImperiHome is more flexible and still actively developed.