Upgraded to UI7... How the F do you add Insteon Devices????

So I upgraded from UI6 (1.6.644) to UI7 (1.7.719) after receiving emails from Vera about running obselete software.

Well… the upgrade didn’t really go that well… VeraLite firmware install took more than an hour… stalled… and all previous settings disappeared. Re-installed UI7 1.7.719 and restored backup, and all previous devices/scenes appeared and have been working perfectly (including all my previously added Insteon devices).

Now I’m trying to add a new Insteon device… I go to “add device”, Insteon. I have tried adding by holding “set” button (nothing pairs like it did previously). Tried adding the device ID manually … again … nothing. WTF???

I tried going through theses steps:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,31052.0.html

But that didn’t solve anything (and not even sure what its supposed to do to be honest).

Can someone please please please tell me how the hell I’m supposed to add an insteon device now? I have my Insteon USB adapter connected to my VeraLite. I previously had an Insteon App (which no longer exists).

I NEED HELP!!!

Many thanks.

Martin

Guess the solution was pretty easy. Figured it out… in UI6 the Insteon Plug-In App automatically put the Insteon USB adapter in “listening” mode to facilitate for the device sync. In UI7, adding a an Insteon device through the “add device” option didnt put the Insteon in USB adapter in “listening” mode (you can hear a noise from the USB adapter). In UI7, you have to manually push the “SET” button on the Insteon USB adapter first… you’ll hear a “beep”, then you can proceed to “add device” by pressing the Insteon setting button on the device you’d like to add. Nothing will appear immediately, it takes a minute or two, but if you proceed back to the “Devices” dashboard, you will see the device after the Vera dashboard has refreshed itself. Hope this helps for anyone else having issues with adding Insteon devices.

I’m trying and Still cant get it… Did you have to do anything once you added the device to the insteon modem

You need to go to “Add Device” … “Add Insteon”… then put the USB Modem in “pairing mode” by pressing the “SET” button on its side until you hear the “beep”. Then quickly run to the Insteon Device you want to add and hit the “Setup” button on the Insteon device until you hear the beep. Give it a few minutes and then refresh your vera dashboard and go back into Devices and it should show up there. That’s what I did. Hope that helps.

When you say “Insteon USB modem” and " Insteon USB adapter" are you guys talking about the 2413U Power Linc Adapter or an Insteon hub? I’ve got both and haven’t been able to add them to Vera Edge.

Ok, well, it almost worked for me. I spent two hours and now it after midnight and I’m calling it a day.

I setup the PLM 2413u both in UI7 and using the link previously mentioned and the adapter worked. I also made sure that i set the serial port configuration to recognize the instead device. I followed the instructions for pairing the fanlinc (2475f). I set the fan speed set to high, pressed set on PLM (green light flashing), pressed fan set on fanlinc, heard the beeps on both, wait for it…wait for it…wait for it, and created in UI7! I turned the fan off, turned the light on, and attempted to pair, and heard the beeps! Good to go, right? Think again! No device created for the light. Then I toggled the device created for the fan and the light turned on/off. UGH! Removed/reset/deleted/recreated and same results. Then tried to create the fan as an X10 device, but the fanlinc kept timing out before I could get Vera to perform three on/off cycles.

Sidenote…pairing with the fan light red results in the communicating error. At least that is what I think I discovered.

I’m done for the night. Anyone have any more ideas? Feel free to share.

Maybe this is why so many run Alsteon on a Raspberry Pi for Insteon integration.

Well, I figured out my own problem. According to Vera, they provide support for some Insteon devices, not all Insteon devices, fanlinc not being one that they fully support. Sounds like the Pi will be the course I need to take.

On a side note and to reiterate my last post, idid get the PLM to work well with my Vera using the previously posted instructions.

[quote=“Scoutmedic, post:7, topic:189808”]Well, I figured out my own problem. According to Vera, they provide support for some Insteon devices, not all Insteon devices, fanlinc not being one that they fully support. Sounds like the Pi will be the course I need to take.

On a side note and to reiterate my last post, idid get the PLM to work well with my Vera using the previously posted instructions.[/quote]

This is not what I want to read… This is the only reason I can even see for adding Insteon devices to my Vera… IE: Control of ceiling fans.

[quote=“Sammy2, post:8, topic:189808”][quote=“Scoutmedic, post:7, topic:189808”]Well, I figured out my own problem. According to Vera, they provide support for some Insteon devices, not all Insteon devices, fanlinc not being one that they fully support. Sounds like the Pi will be the course I need to take.

On a side note and to reiterate my last post, idid get the PLM to work well with my Vera using the previously posted instructions.[/quote]

This is not what I want to read… This is the only reason I can even see for adding Insteon devices to my Vera… IE: Control of ceiling fans.[/quote]

I ended up skipping the Pi and went with the ISY994i. Lots of posts here about it. Learning two systems and how they work is time consuming, but I got my fans connected!!

I just wanted to let the community know that I have successfully integrated Altsteon 0.08 on the Vera Plus and have 12 Insteon devices controlled through the USB PLM. The native implementation of Insteon does not run on the UI. If anyone has questions, start a new thread and PM me as I’m just starting to become active in the community. I’ve white knuckled everything by myself so far. I have a pretty vast network of many protocols and plugins going on here that used to run fine on a Lite. I now have the Plus.

Ask away.