"Type the letters shown in the picture" forum usability

Dear Micasaverda,

Would you please reconsider putting forum users through this agony? On my last post seeking assistance I had to re-enter information over 20 times because the letters shown in your captcha are something only a mother could love. Once it was finally posted I went back to edit 1 single character in the post and was greeted with the same frustration. They’re illegible and very difficult to work with. Being human and having to re-enter something oodles of times because the server argues it’s incorrect whilst it’s actually true is nothing but a nuisance.

[ul][li]Type the letters shown in the picture[/li]
[li]Write the 2nd, sixth and last letter of the word ‘bookmark’[/li]
[li]What number is considered unlucky?[/li]
[li]What number is betweem nine and 11? (yes, typo included)[/li]
[li]flower, boy, copper, plane - which is a metal?:[/li]
[li]The letters you typed don’t match the letters that were shown in the picture.[/li][/ul]

I didn’t have much trouble with the questions, except the ambiguous “unlucky number” one.

The captcha letters are a real mess, though. Many are totally inscrutable, and I have to take a few guesses before I find something that takes. “W” for some reason is always destroyed by the lines.

It’s not making me do them any more, though, so I must have graduated from captcha class.

[quote=“GroundLoop, post:2, topic:173382”]I didn’t have much trouble with the questions, except the ambiguous “unlucky number” one.

The captcha letters are a real mess, though. Many are totally inscrutable, and I have to take a few guesses before I find something that takes. “W” for some reason is always destroyed by the lines.

It’s not making me do them any more, though, so I must have graduated from captcha class.[/quote]

Oh that would be ideal. Perhaps it’s only for the first X number of posts. I’ve got my fingers crossed!!! :slight_smile:

The captchas are annoying, but it’s been the only way we have been able to keep spammers off the forum. MCV is pretty hands-off with respect to the forum. Speaking as a selfish user, I prefer the status quo over dozens of spams.

Once you’ve hit 25 (I think) posts you won’t see them any more.

[quote=“futzle, post:4, topic:173382”]The captchas are annoying, but it’s been the only way we have been able to keep spammers off the forum. MCV is pretty hands-off with respect to the forum. Speaking as a selfish user, I prefer the status quo over dozens of spams.

Once you’ve hit 25 (I think) posts you won’t see them any more.[/quote]

Yay! Okay I’m a happy camper again. Rock on.

Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture: mrhkuu
Write the 2nd, sixth and last letter of the word ‘bookmark’ (no separator): oak
How many 1 must be added to 1 to get 10? (numerical): 9 (your grade 2 teacher would not accept that question.) (also, hope they didn’t mean binary!)

me too.

(click post)

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
The letters you typed don’t match the letters that were shown in the picture.
You did not answer the verification questions correctly.

Type the letters shown in the picture: mrrkuu
How many 1 must be added to 1 to get 10? (numerical): 1 (wtf?)

me too.

(click post)

Verification:
How many 1 must be added to 1 to get 10? (numerical): 0 (I really don’t get it for real now! Am I applying to google here?)

me too.

(click post)

hmm… how ironical. But clearly I can’t NOT post this NOW. Besides, I am a technically inclined new MCV owner, and I will very likely need this forum, so it’s worth it to PLOUGH through the first 25 annoyinstances. think think think… young grasshopper… how many 1 must be added to 1 to get 10? Is the answer 42? Unlikely. Maybe 10? I’ll try 10:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the 2nd, sixth and last letter of the word ‘bookmark’ (no separator):
How many 1 must be added to 1 to get 10? (numerical): 10

me too.

(click post)

Didn’t expect that to work. Maybe 9 was okay and it didn’t register because I got mrrkuu wrong. I’ll try 9 (the least incorrect answer) again. This should count as 6 posts not one!!! My f*&@ing bank asks me for a password. Are we really that scared someone will infiltrate our conversation here?

Verification:
How many 1 must be added to 1 to get 10? (numerical): 9

me too.

(click post)