TTS current time or temp with VA?

When I open a door, I would like Vera Alerts to send me a greeting message with the current time and local temperature. Does the ability exist to implement an alert like this? Or is this something I would need to do with Luup code? Any help would be appreciated.

I use the wunderground weather plugin for this. If I recall you need to set up an API key, but the process isn’t terrible and you only need to do it once. I can happily report my plugin has worked flawlessly since installation.

Once the plugin is working, it will create several daughter devices. e.g. today’s high, today’s low. current temperature.

I use lua to read the “high” and announce it in the morning, along with other things such as the current time…

local now = os.time()
local timeMessage = os.date("%I:%M%p", now)
local highTemp = luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1", "CurrentTemperature", HIGH_TEMP_DEVICE_ID)
local lowTemp = luup.variable_get("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1", "CurrentTemperature", LOW_TEMP_DEVICE_ID)

hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply! How do you go about importing this data to Vera Alerts, or is that not necessary?

I unfortunately don’t use vera alerts so can’t guide you there. I use the pushover plugin to send important push notifications to IOS or Droid devices (for events like “there’s water in the basement”) and the sonos plugin to speak more routine messages (like “please take out the garbage”)

function notify(message)
  luup.call_action("urn:upnp-org:serviceId:IOSPush1", "SendPushOverNotification", {Title="Alarm", Message=message, Priority=1}, NOTIFICATION_ID)
end

function speak(message)
  luup.call_action("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Sonos1", "Say", {Text = message, Volume = 40}, SONOS_ID)
end

once I’ve defined those functions I can simply call notify(“this is a test”) or speak(“this is a test”) from any luup code

Try this, of course changing it to your correct vera ID number and the device for Weather Underground of what ever device you are using to monitor the temperature

luup.call_action(“urn:richardgreen:serviceId:VeraAlert1”, “SendAlert”, {Message = ?The Current Weather Outside Is {Device([76].TemperatureSensor.CurrentTemperature)} “, Recipients = ?VeraDevice1”},57)