TTL USB cable interface Powermax Pro & Vera(lite)

I understand that there is an alternative for (dual) rs-232/usb serial adapter to connect the Powermax Pro and Vera. This would be an TTL USB cable with ftdi chipset like this one on [url=http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBTTLSerial.htm]http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBTTLSerial.htm[/url] or this one on eBay [url=http://www.ebay.nl/itm/USB-to-TTL-Serial-Cable-FTDI-chipset-6-Way-FTDI-TTL-232R-3V3-Cable-/221215028331?pt=UK_Computing_Parallel_Serial_PS_2&hash=item338171746b#ht_1202wt_689]USB to TTL Serial Cable FTDI chipset 6 Way FTDI TTL 232R 3V3 Cable | eBay.

Can someone confirm if this works (well)? And if so explain how to connect the cable?
Does it replace the spot of the dual rs232? Maybe some pics? I own the PM Pro Partition.

Thanks in advance!

Have a look at this topic at domoticaforum.eu. It has a description including pictures. I use this connection myself as well.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m not so technical and tried to understand the options on the domotica forum. Could you please help me understand what to buy? Some ebay links on the forum are not valid anymore. I hope for plug and play. On some picture.I see a cable with 3 wires for the powermax plug?

I’ve used this one myself (you will need to make a connector), but this one also looks good (includes the wires, so easier). The one on the photo does not seem to be offered anymore, but the end result should be similar.

You should indeed only connect 3 wires (GND, TX, RX). Make sure it handles 3.3V levels.

Thanks for pic! Do you have solder the wires on to the powermax pcb? Is there no TTL plug that plugs into the plugin where normally the rs232 plugs in or something other easy solution? I can’t see on the pic how and where to the wires are attached. Sorry for my technical ignorance…

@ansandro: you do need to be willing to experiment a bit if you go for this solution. There is no standard cable available. If you want an out-of-the-box solution, then use the Visonic RS232 kit. You can make the cable without soldering, just put the 1-pin Dupont connectors on the right pins of the IP interface.

trying this route. usb installed but no option on panel to enroll powerlink under user settings.

???

If you have a PowerMax Pro with partitions then it will auto-enroll. So you don’t have to/can’t enroll manually and the option won’t be in the menu indeed.

That’s what I thought. I don’t have but the single partition. Does it matter which ground I connect to? Currently in the top row.

No, GND is GND, it doesn’t matter which one you connect to. Is there any communication? Are you using a 3.3V TTL->USB?

Same as on the plink2. Getting an unknown status. Trying to avoid standard mode
, I’ll take a screen shot

few screen shots. going to program my zones and on the plink2 that actually worked.

Looks like no communication - everything is on default. Is there a powermax_pdu.txt file? Turn debug on first to generate the file.

laptop died last night so figured it was time to stop ::slight_smile:

But it is just odd, this is the same thing that was happening with the plink2

I have just pulled the logs for this beast. Is there something specific i need to check for connectivity issues?

Send the logs to vera.powermax at gmail.com and I’ll have a look.

otw thanks.

Looks like the plugin is was not correctly installed. Did you remove and re-install it?

Device_LuaUPnP::LoadDeviceDoc can't load /etc/cmh-lu//D_Powermax.xmle JobHandler_LuaUPnP::CreateDevice_LuaUPnP failed to load 79/D_Powermax.xml so device 79 is offline Device_LuaUPnP::CreateServices Aborting device 79 because the topmost device has no interface JobHandler_LuaUPnP::CreateAllServices failed to create 79 Device_LuaUPnP::CreateImplementations Aborting 79 because it failed to load JobHandler_LuaUPnP::CreateAllImplementations failed to create 79e JobHandler_LuaUPnP::CreateLuaInterfaces can't load plugin /etc/cmh-lu//L_Powermax.lua LuaInterface::CallFunction_Startup-2 device 79 function startup failed (null) with return false LuImplementation::StartLua running startup code for 79 I_Powermax.xml failede

What is device 81?

Device_LuaUPnP::CreateServices Aborting device 81 because the topmost device has no interface JobHandler_LuaUPnP::CreateAllServices failed to create 81

There are no “POWERMAX” debug statements in the Lua_UPnP.log, so no clue there…

[quote=“nlrb, post:18, topic:175268”]Looks like the plugin is was not correctly installed. Did you remove and re-install it?

Device_LuaUPnP::LoadDeviceDoc can't load /etc/cmh-lu//D_Powermax.xmle JobHandler_LuaUPnP::CreateDevice_LuaUPnP failed to load 79/D_Powermax.xml so device 79 is offline Device_LuaUPnP::CreateServices Aborting device 79 because the topmost device has no interface JobHandler_LuaUPnP::CreateAllServices failed to create 79 Device_LuaUPnP::CreateImplementations Aborting 79 because it failed to load JobHandler_LuaUPnP::CreateAllImplementations failed to create 79e JobHandler_LuaUPnP::CreateLuaInterfaces can't load plugin /etc/cmh-lu//L_Powermax.lua LuaInterface::CallFunction_Startup-2 device 79 function startup failed (null) with return false LuImplementation::StartLua running startup code for 79 I_Powermax.xml failede

I have done this a few times. Is there a way to uninstall completely?

I was looking at the folders /etc/cmh-lu// and none of those files are there. they all appear to be in //etc/cmh-ludl

What is device 81?

Device_LuaUPnP::CreateServices Aborting device 81 because the topmost device has no interface JobHandler_LuaUPnP::CreateAllServices failed to create 81

81 was some logging plugin i created, but i have just deleted it since it isn’t providing any value, i have winscp on my laptop to view log files.

There are no “POWERMAX” debug statements in the Lua_UPnP.log, so no clue there…[/quote]

[quote=“packhawk, post:7, topic:175268”]trying this route. usb installed but no option on panel to enroll powerlink under user settings.

???[/quote]

I read over the weekend that the TX from the panel connects to the RX on the USB connection. Viseversa for the RX → TX is that valid?