Trane w/ MultiZone System

Anyone know if I can use one of the Trane ilink thermostats with a multizone system? I bought a house with both an AprilAire and Trane multizone controller. It has 2 thermostats on one unit and 3 on the other. I wanted to replace one of the thermostats on each unit with the zwave enabled Trane thermostats so I can control them via Vera. It appears that the multizone controllers wouldn’t care what thermostat is connected, but wanted to see if anyone knew… ???

Thanks

I have an HVAC system with 2 zones in use, [1st flr and 2nd flr] (electrically controlled dampers), run by a Trane multizone (3 zone) controller, the Trane Zwave thermostats work just fine, the controller also supports the 24 VAC “C” wire, if you have at least 5 wires running between the controller and the thermostat, so I have the Trane multizone controller supplying power to 2 Trane Zwave thermostats, works perfectly.

Mitch

@mitch672

Thanks! Actually the unit upstairs is a Tran Multizone controller… Do have the zwave tstat on all the zones or just one of them? i.e. I do not want to have to buy 5 tstats that are zwave only zone 1 on each unit…

Huh? Each thermostat in my case is on a different floor, so of course I have to have both of them, how would it get the “local” tempature? You are going to have to buy a Zwave thermostat for each location you want to control. The thermostats only control/work with a single zone, though they work fin\e on a multizone controller.

sounds like you have something different than what I have. My 3 zone controller is mounted above the furnace, each thermostat connects to it, and it connects to the furnace controls, and the AC compressor control, as well it controls each damper in the ductwork…

@mitch672

Sorry wasn’t clear. Today there are two Trane A/C systems for my house. One for the first floor and one for the second floor. The first floor system uses an AprilAire multizone controller and has 2 tstats connected to it (Trane XL900). The second floor system has a Trane MultiZone system with 3 tstats connect (all XL900). I want to replace one XL900 on each system (zone 1) with a Trane zwave so that I get remote control of each multizone system. THe multizone system does control dampers etc… I have a large home so it requires 2 separate systems.

sounds like you will need 5 Zwave thermostats if you want to be able to control all of it.

each Zwave thermostat replaces an existing thermostat, and control just that zone/area.

[quote=“mitch672, post:2, topic:168756”]I have an HVAC system with 2 zones in use, [1st flr and 2nd flr] (electrically controlled dampers), run by a Trane multizone (3 zone) controller, the Trane Zwave thermostats work just fine, the controller also supports the 24 VAC “C” wire, if you have at least 5 wires running between the controller and the thermostat, so I have the Trane multizone controller supplying power to 2 Trane Zwave thermostats, works perfectly.

Mitch[/quote]

Mitch,

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I am curious what type of Trane zone controller do you have?

I have the ZSASSMAL0100, and it looks to only support special thermostats. (data+ (s1), data- (s2), B, and R). You said your zone controller works with normal thermostats?

I would love to be able to keep my multiple zones and still have z-wave thermostats, even if it means switching controllers.

If you have a data wire, then you probably have the ComfortLink II communicating system. The zwave thermostats will not work with those. You’ll be limited to a trane communicating thermostat.

The only way I’ve found to control my system is to get the expensive XL950 thermostat. My system isn’t zoned at all. But you can sign up for an acct with Nexia and control this thermostat for free using the web or their iPhone app. I haven’t figured out a way to link it to Vera. It is not a zwave thermostat.

For zoned systems, I believe the other zoned thermostats would be the XL940.