Tip on getting motion sensor and hidden door sensor working

This might be obvious to some but coming from Insteon I thought I’d post a tip I just learned that helped me big. To anyone that has used Insteon before, you’ll know that devices are either a controller or a responder. A controller is the device that makes something happen, and responder is what responds of course, but devices can be mixed. Simple example is a switch is a controller of 2 lights, like a 3 way switch. Motion sensor, hidden door sensor, and so on are RF only and battery powered so they can only be a controller.

Anyway I guess when using the ISY, Insteon Hub and other controllers, adding a new device sort of automates it and sets controllers and responders themselves. When using the Vera and the PLM, you have to link them by holding the set button on the PLM, and then also the set button the device. With the Hub, ISY, etc you never touch the PLM, so you only ever do the set button on the device.

Whatever device you hold set on first is set to be the controller, with the second device the responder. That was my problem, I assumed you put the PLM in set mode so that it’s looking for new devices, and THEN press set on the other device. That does work and adds it, but it makes the second device a responder, which something like a motion sensor can’t be. Instead you put the motion sensor in pairing mode first by holding set until they beep or LED flashes, and THEN you hold set on the PLM.

As soon as I did this, the devices immediately worked. I have the Veralite and had UI7 on it but could never get altsteon to work so was using the native plugin but couldn’t get motion or the hidden door sensors to work at all, only the hidden door sensor a bit but it would act like a motion sensor. I downgraded to UI5 today and am using altsteon to do all of this, but I believe this would still help with the native plugin as it’s critical to make sure the sensors are controllers and not responders.

Also for the I/O Linc garage door opener, you have to link both ways, make it a controller first then also a responder, since the sensor needs to be a controller, but the relay a responder.

Hope that might help someone!

Are you able to see whether your doors with hidden door sensors are open or closed?