TIAO 16 Zone Controller - OpenSprinkler Based

I’m preparing to purchase & install an OpenSprinkler Pi system on my property to replace a 12-zone Rainbird unit. I chose OSPI so that I could upgrade it over the network rather than USB, but then I searched for OpenSprinkler on Amazon and found this for only $69.99 (as of the date of this post):

16 zones (which is fine for me as I only need 11) and it uses OpenSprinkler as the OS. It has an ethernet port, so I can use a Powerline networking adapter I already have to get it on the network. At ~1/3 the cost of an OSPI setup, it might be worth dealing with the USB firmware upgrades.

It appears that it can use OpenSprinkler Zone Expander boards, if you need them.

No enclosure, though.

Has anyone tried this yet, or would I be the first experimenter if I purchased it? :wink:

My Etherrain 8 was working fine until a thunderstorm with lightning struck about 250 feet from my home. The circuit blew and now the etherrain doesn’t power up anymore. In fact the netgear bridge I was using to provide it internet also is fried. I’m in the process of contacting Etherrain to see if I can buy a new PCB board without having to pay a full $159 again.

However, seeing this TIAO controller on amazon for $69, makes me wonder if this will work. So does anyone know like gadgetboy was asking?

Unfortunately it all comes down to someone really smart creating a plugin to get it to work for free…

I decided not to buy this model and instead, built a Raspberry Pi version of OpenSprinkler.

However, to answer your question, the TIAO runs OpenSprinkler so the existing Vera plugin should work just fine.

Ive deleted the Zone from the controller, reset the HR92, set the zone up again and rebound the HR92 but exactly the same thing ??

I talked to the guy that runs Etherrain the other day since I wanted to get a rain sensor. He said that he is aware that people use the product with MiCasaVera and that the current plug-in is not the best. He mentioned that they will eventually get to working on a plugin that will improve the user experience. (eg. Not having all valves show open when one is running)