Thinking about a security system....

What companies, if any, are currently installing security systems that can be interfaced with Vera? I’m looking for something that’s wireless for obvious reasons…

Wireless what?

I mean, you can tie into a DSC/Vista panel with AB2USB. There are other options, but that one I know because that’s how I have mine setup.

Honeywell Vista 20p with AD2USB here, too, though mine is wired. A quick search says it will do up to 40 wireless devices as long as you have the wireless receiver addon.

[url=https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/how-many-wireless-transmitters-can-a-honeywell-vista-20p-security-system-support]https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/how-many-wireless-transmitters-can-a-honeywell-vista-20p-security-system-support[/url]

By wireless, I meant the sensors and stuff. I don’t really want anyone trying to drill holes and run wires all over the place. What I was asking is if any of the alarm companies (ADT, Safetouch, etc) installed equipment that can be interfaced.

Google says [url=https://www.adt.com/wireless-security]https://www.adt.com/wireless-security[/url]

Oh, right.

So, my experience is that the alarm companies want to install the wireless panels, etc. Because it’s quick and easy money for them. Once I realized I needed hardwired vista panel for the ad2usb, I had them take out the flashy panel and put in the vista one. They tried talking me out of it for a bit but finally gave me what I wanted.

You just have to insist on what you want…

I replaced a GE alarm panel with a DSC panel and Eyezon network adapter. Pretty easy to do. I used a DSC control pad that acts as the wireless controller and installed a few wireless sensors (along with my wired ones). The alarm system programming initially can be a little tricky, but Google/youtube helps a bunch with that. I then use the DSC plugin to expose my sensors so that they can trigger events. I don’t see why you couldn’t use the same system in a very robust and modular design using only wireless sensors.

I would not go with z wave sensors and Vera for an alarm. A good alarm system should work with or without your home automation, reliably and quickly, in a closed loop system. I have both z wave (non-alarm) and DSC sensors. The DSC sensors are MUCH faster and FAR more reliable.

Be careful going with an alarm “installer” to get a system. They can be VERY shady and/or VERY expensive. Alarm equipment is relatively cheap compared to home automation. You could probably get by with around $200-$250 before buying sensors if you do it yourself (US prices).

The reliability issue is part of the reason I would like to add the alarm. Don’t really know if I need it monitored at this point, but the sensors are more reliable and way cheaper. Seeing as you can see them in the HA environment, this is kind of a no brainer in the long run.

Hmm, I’m not sure that is a given. The behaviour our Visonic motion sensors is such that they only do something along the lines of sending a motion trigger a couple of times in a given time frame. While I’ve not really had any joy with the Vera plugin (constant reloads) this as a system that can interface with HA.

With that one I think the circumstances where you find you can use the motion sensors are limited. If you were looking at say getting an email alert when there is an “intruder” etc. all well and good but I think if you were looking at “dual purposing” so say it light the corridor every time a person passed by i think you’d be on a loser with that one.

Not looking for the motion sensors so much as the security sensors for the doors and windows. Only place I really count on a motion sensor is outside the front door and I use it to automate the light at night. I’d really only be wanting to be able to tell if windows / doors were open / closed for the most part. Motion sensors inside for security are, in my opinion, only somewhat useful if you have pets.

OK, I guess we all find different things useful.

We only have 2 Visonic door sensors. One is the entry/exit door in the kitchen and the other acts as a “hold/override” for the bathroom light and not a trigger for the alarm panel to set the siren off. With regards to that second particular more HA usage, I have found it far more reliable than the 433mhz devices I tried previously.

To drift ontomotion sensors, we have both Visonic and (of late, replacing earlier 433mhz bits) Z Wave ones (and the alarm really is stand alone that can interface - I’d not like it dependent on HA) . The particular Z Wave ones (Fibaro 4 in 1) can be adjusted for sensitivity but I’m using them at a point where a cat will trip them and didn’t find them responsive enough for a “pet safe” setting in our usage (and we can live with say the cat turning on the corridor LED light one in a while). The Visonic alarm motion sensors we have are supposedly “pet safe”. Our cats don’t trip these. I’m not sure how things would go with say a larger dog though.

The motion sensors have gotten better in respect to being pet friendly…

I’m actually helping out some friends with an install at the moment, and here’s the best option I found:

A DSC 1832 with a keypad that supports wireless sensors, an Eyezon EVL-4, and sensors. If you don’t have the guts to program yourself, the linked site does it for $159, but from what I hear it’s not too hard to diy. Haven’t actually gotten the product yet, but it looks like the site has good phone tech support to get you going as well.

Here’s the kit with everything but the power adapter and sensors. You can click a button on this page to add the power adapter.

Here’s the EVL-4