Thermostat View - Nest

I recently installed the Nest Thermostat at home and corresponding plugin. The plugin is working well, but control of the Nest via Automator is a bit clunky. I don’t have any previous experience with Thermostat control and Vera, so I’m not sure if what I am seeing is normal.

I say that control of the Nest via Automator is clunky because of the way the Thermostat is displayed in the app. The controls for the thermostat are larger that the default size for the controls so you have to move the display around to be able to see all of the controls.

I am wondering if this is ‘normal’ or is this specific to the Nest?

Thanks for your feedback.

I experience the same with my Trane thermostat. Turn your phone 90 degrees (landscape) and it should display correctly

It’s not optimal for wide devices such as thermostats but Automator.app works differently than other apps. We use the same rendering/layout mechanism as you would find on the Vera desktop. As such this does not fit very nicely for thermostats. I am working on some ways to improve this usability.

Thank you for the feedback. One other issue with the Nest view is that the actual temperature is not displayed in the Automator App. It does show through the UI5 GUI.

Yep, I am working on it. Thermostats devices have special logic to show temperature; nest and regular heaters do not benefit from this. I will add generic support for this status display more like the Vera dashboard does.

Yep, I am working on it. Thermostats devices have special logic to show temperature; nest and regular heaters do not benefit from this. I will add generic support for this status display more like the Vera dashboard does.[/quote]

I realize this is a year old thread, but any updates or timelines for the ability to see he Nest temp in Automator? Just bought the app and otherwise love it but this is a huge feature for me. Really appreciate any info.

Thanks!

Yep, I am working on it. Thermostats devices have special logic to show temperature; nest and regular heaters do not benefit from this. I will add generic support for this status display more like the Vera dashboard does.[/quote]

I realize this is a year old thread, but any updates or timelines for the ability to see he Nest temp in Automator? Just bought the app and otherwise love it but this is a huge feature for me. Really appreciate any info.

Thanks![/quote]

This was added (generic support). I don’t have a nest available to test. I take your post to mean it still isn’t working.

@automator.app:

I am having the same issue with my CI800 (utilizing the Radio Thermostat plugin) as knewmania is with his nest thermostat: Automator.app won’t display the tstat’s temperature (see attached photo). I previously had a Trane Z-wave Tstat which Automator.app had no problem displaying the current temperature of. The current temperature of my CI800 is displayed in Vera’s free mobile app, “Vera Mobile”… but I love your app so much better, and this is the first instance with it that I’ve ever had an issue (other than as noted prior wide devices need to be in landscape mode).

Any ideas of how Automator.app can display the tstat’s temp?

[quote=“agoodman82, post:8, topic:173700”]@automator.app:

I am having the same issue with my CI800 (utilizing the Radio Thermostat plugin) as knewmania is with his nest thermostat: Automator.app won’t display the tstat’s temperature (see attached photo). I previously had a Trane Z-wave Tstat which Automator.app had no problem displaying the current temperature of. The current temperature of my CI800 is displayed in Vera’s free mobile app, “Vera Mobile”… but I love your app so much better, and this is the first instance with it that I’ve ever had an issue (other than as noted prior wide devices need to be in landscape mode).

Any ideas of how Automator.app can display the tstat’s temp?[/quote]

The application has special logic to display the temperature for devices of type urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:HVAC_ZoneThermostat:1. What is the device type for the CI800?

In hugheaves Radio Thermostat plugin for my CI800 the device type is listed as: urn:schemas-hugheaves-com:device:HVAC_ZoneThermostat:1

When making the Nest plugin, I discovered that the end of the device has to be “HVAC_ZoneThermostat” or you will get % instead of degrees in the dashboard, so I think mobile apps can “sort of” rely on “HVAC_ZoneThermostat” being part of the device type (assuming it’s not possible to inspect the supported service IDs and thus ignore device types).

watou