Thermostat State Visual For T-Stat Button?

VeraMate,

Is there anyway to add support to show on the thermostat icons within the app whether or not a z-wave enabled thermostat is heating or cooling?? The actual device itself in “dashboard” for my Radio Thermostat CT-80 does show in words “idle” or “heating” or “cooling”, but when I add the thermostat as a “button” in VeraMate, it will only show the heating/cooling setpoints and has the red color for the temp if set to heating or blue color for the temp if set to cooling.

Is there anyway to add something to a thermostat “button” to show whether the device is idle or heating/cooling? It would save me from looking at the device itself in the dashboard and just have a nicer effect to seeing everything on the VeraMate home screen at a glance.

It also displays a grey color when the thermostat is off. I think you are looking for the fan status. Perhaps a fan symbol when the blower is on if on auto. Not sure what you would do if you have fan set to on, are you also looking when the thermostat is calling for heating/cooling?

Don, I don’t get a color change with my buttons… does the VeraMate background, theme or button colors need to be set to a certain setting to see the color like that? I get color changes for state changes but I’m looking for some sort of visual change specific to the t-stat buttons to see if the device is heating/cooling or idle.

From what I can see, VeraMate does not indicate if the unit is running, just blue for cooling, red for heating, gray for off, and green for auto (which I do not use). This is similar to the Vera app as well.

Don,

Thanks for the information. I didn’t realize that the color of the thermostat icon in the UI changed depending on the value of the ModeStatus variable/setting. However, I am interested in something similar to agoodman82 in that I am wanting see the current state of the HVAC unit. This is reflected in the variable ModeState. Is there a different device file that I can apply to my HVAC thermostat to display this variable to the UI? I am assuming that since my thermostat is listed as a generic Z-Wave device, it applies a generic profile.

Thanks for your response in advance!

[quote=“admccray@gmail.com, post:5, topic:194234”]Don,

Thanks for the information. I didn’t realize that the color of the thermostat icon in the UI changed depending on the value of the ModeStatus variable/setting. However, I am interested in something similar to agoodman82 in that I am wanting see the current state of the HVAC unit. This is reflected in the variable ModeState. Is there a different device file that I can apply to my HVAC thermostat to display this variable to the UI? I am assuming that since my thermostat is listed as a generic Z-Wave device, it applies a generic profile.

Thanks for your response in advance![/quote]

What variable are you talking about specifically? If it’s idle, heating, etc? VeraMate should show that, either as text under the temperature values in a list view, or, as Don has said, the colour of the icon (red, heating; blue, cooling; gray, idle).

Changing the device file (adding a new device), probably isn’t recommended… I doubt Vera would be able to pick up any other value if the thermostat doesn’t support it, but the guys on the other forums may be able to help if necessary. It depends if VeraMate isn’t showing something that you can see in the webUI/Vera app.

VeraMate:

Attached is a screenshot of my VeraMate main screen where I have two instances of buttons for my CT-80 thermostat. I have a small button for the device at the top because I like all my sensor’s temperature readings in a row at a glance and I have a larger button below under “My Home” to show the actual heating/cooling set-points.

Are you saying that I should be seeing on my thermostat device’s buttons visually either via color change on the button or in words below it whether or not the unit is heating/cooling or simply idle? The “63” current temp shown by my screenshot is in orange which from my experience with VeraMate indicates that the unit is set for “heating” (in the summer the number would be in blue for “cooling”). From what I’ve seen, without going to the actual thermostat device in “My Dashboard”, I can’t see if the unit is heating/cooling or idle (the device in the dashboard displays the current state in words).

If I am supposed to be able to see the current state status in the buttons, what do I not have set properly? Is it something with my background/button color choice or are the buttons simply too small (even the slightly larger one?) to display the device’s current state? The device icon is obviously a custom icon I imported with a .jpg of a CT-80 Thermostat for visual appeal :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the help.

This does look like a bug in VeraMate :confused: I’ll double check, and if it is I should be able to get a fix out after the Apple christmas freeze period.

Thanks! Sounds good to me VeraMate.

VeraMate: Just wanna say the new app update adding the visual thermostat stat via colored buttons works great. My tstat buttons on the VeraMate home screen accurately shows when the tstat is heating, and Im assuming it’ll work the same when I’m running the AC again in the summer. Thanks!

+1 VeraMate for the new thermostat information.