Thermostat/Heater and 'Auto' Setting in Vera Thermostat

I installed Qubino Flush Thermostats in my Vera Edge (UI7). They are connected to an electronic valve which controls an underfloor heating system for each room. The Qubino was (correctly) registered by Vera as a thermostat, but the default thermostat in Vera allows for both heating and cooling as well as an ‘auto’ setting which cnages between heat and cool depending on the temperature. My question is about the Auto setting. Given that the Qubino just has one set of outputs, to control a single device (in my case the heat), what happens if I would set it to auto and a temperature higher than the actual temperature in the room? Say it was 26.5 in the room and I set it to 23. Auto theoretically would trigger cooling at that point, but since there is only the one output and it is connected to heat, does it actually turn the heat on, making it hotter?

I can’t answer with certainty, but I would presume that it would just do nothing, since your thermostat doesn’t have that output. On a normal heat/cool thermostat, there are two different outputs (one for the furnace/heat, the other for AC), and the thermostat toggles the output based on its mode.

If you are running UI7 (at least 7.0.12, may not be available in earlier versions), there is a “Heater” device that you can use, that only exposes the heating portion of the thermostat to the UI.

You would use it by changing the device type from “urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:HVAC_ZoneThermostat:1” to “urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:Heater:1”, and the json file from “D_HVAC_ZoneThermostat1.json” to “D_Heater1.json” and the device file from “D_HVAC_ZoneThermostat1.xml” to “D_Heater1.xml”. Don’t forget to reload the LuaUPnP engine.

Thanks for the responses. As far as the first comment, since the Qubibo doesn’t know if I hooked up an AC or a heater, I’m not sure how it would know to ignore it.

I made the changes suggested and restarted, but now the device has disappeared from the web UI completely. I can see it from the mobile app, and the options are now removed, but there isn’t event an off button anymore, only a way to set the temperature.

1. is that correct (no off)? How would I turn the thermostat off if I don’t want the heat on? Turning the temp all the way down seems like a hack.
  2. how do I made it show up in the web UI?

Oops… I omitted a file (the device file) from the list of changes… Sorry… (my original post has been edited to add the correct info.)
The good news is that the device is still there, it just isn’t displayed… and it can be fixed…

1. find the id for the device… Open a browser and enter “http://(ip.of.vera):3480/data_request?id=sdata” into the address bar… this will display the json encoded summary data for your Vera. Search for the name that the device has… Just after the “name” field will be an “altid” field, then an “id” field… The number after the “id” field is the device id… take note of it.
  2. Go to Apps/Develop Apps/Test Luup (lua) code, and enter the following script.
local DevID = <ID>
luup.attr_set("device_type","urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:Heater:1",DevID)
luup.attr_set("device_file","D_Heater1.xml",DevID)
luup.attr_set("device_json","D_Heater1.json",DevID)
luup.reload()
return true

Change to the device ID you noted in step one, then click on “Go”. The device will be updated and the LuaUPnP engine will reload. Once the reload has completed, refresh your browser and your device will then appear.

If you prefer, You can restore the device back to a thermostat with the following code:

local DevID = <ID>
luup.attr_set("device_type","urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:HVAC_ZoneThermostat:1",DevID)
luup.attr_set("device_file","D_HVAC_ZoneThermostat1.xml",DevID)
luup.attr_set("device_json","D_HVAC_ZoneThermostat1.json",DevID)
luup.reload()
return true

Since this is a new addition to UI7, the mobile applications will probably NOT support it yet. In the UI7 browser display, the heater device shows current temperature, an on/off switch and the temperature setpoint controls.

Oops… I omitted a file (the device file) from the list of changes… Sorry… (my original post has been edited to add the correct info.)
The good news is that the device is still there, it just isn’t displayed… and it can be fixed…

1. find the id for the device… Open a browser and enter “http://(ip.of.vera):3480/data_request?id=sdata” into the address bar… this will display the json encoded summary data for your Vera. Search for the name that the device has… Just after the “name” field will be an “altid” field, then an “id” field… The number after the “id” field is the device id… take note of it.
  2. Go to Apps/Develop Apps/Test Luup (lua) code, and enter the following script.
local DevID = <ID>
luup.attr_set("device_type","urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:Heater:1",DevID)
luup.attr_set("device_file","D_Heater1.xml",DevID)
luup.attr_set("device_json","D_Heater1.json",DevID)
luup.reload()
return true

Change to the device ID you noted in step one, then click on “Go”. The device will be updated and the LuaUPnP engine will reload. Once the reload has completed, refresh your browser and your device will then appear.

If you prefer, You can restore the device back to a thermostat with the following code:

local DevID = <ID>
luup.attr_set("device_type","urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:HVAC_ZoneThermostat:1",DevID)
luup.attr_set("device_file","D_HVAC_ZoneThermostat1.xml",DevID)
luup.attr_set("device_json","D_HVAC_ZoneThermostat1.json",DevID)
luup.reload()
return true

Since this is a new addition to UI7, the mobile applications will probably NOT support it yet. In the UI7 browser display, the heater device shows current temperature, an on/off switch and the temperature setpoint controls.[/quote]

Thanks - the device is back now :slight_smile:

However, I’m seeing the behavior I described in the mobile app in the web UI now as well - the only buttons are to control temperature - no Off/Heat setting. Implying the only way to make it go off is to lower the temperature passed the current temperature which is no good. Can you show me a screenshot of your UI7 with a Heater device that shows the on/off setting? I’m running the latest UI7…

1 Like

I have tried this with my Qubino Flush on/off Thermostat and after a luup restart the three parameters revert back to their original contents. I have tried manually replacing the 3 fields and running the script via Test Luup but cannot get changes to stick. I have even tried switching “automatically configure” to “no”, but every time the original device type/xml/json re-appear!
(The only difference in my Qubino was that my original json file was “D_HVAC_ZoneThermostatNoCoolHeat1.json”, not “D_HVAC_ZoneThermostat1.json”, but my original xml and device type were the same as your post above)
What am I doing wrong please?