thermometer for Pool/Spa temperature monitoring???

So, I’m not sure how you would connect the DS18B20 or whatever to the door sensor… Could you just vacuum seal the door sensor into a plastic bag and throw it in the hot tub? OR maybe use the Fibaro motion sensor? That way, if someone opened the hot tub cover you would get the alarm.

The Fibaro door sensor has a terminal strip at one end for connecting the DS18B20. I got a couple of them off EBay that are waterproof and I made a sensor that screwed into my pump housing. I used a nylon plug and drilled a hole in it that the wires would pass through. I sealed it up with JB-Weld and coated the sensor probe for good measure. I suppose you could just seal it up in a ziploc bag, but it’s $40 you’re gambling with. Better to find a drain plug in the filter basket or pump you could replace. I’d still wrap the Fibaro sensor (I have mine in a PVC box) to protect it though…

As for Z-Wave needing a device for pool temp, it’s not a common need like a light switch. Be happy that there’s an easy way to get it done at all. There are WiFi pool thermometers out there, and I believe 1 or 2 that are Z-Wave, but the reviews aren’t that great…

Thanks Mike. Any pics you could share of your handy work?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I’m not sure I kept any but I can look. If not, I can take a few. Really not much to it though…

I succesfully use the following sensor:

In connection with a NodeMCU ESP8266 using GET command to get into Vera.
Concept used for pool pump control (PVC T-1/2" NPT) as well as CH floorheating pump control.

Here’s the original sensor I put together. This one was nothing more than a thermistor slipped into a piece of copper tubing. I eventually covered the copper tubing with a thin coat of JB Weld. This sensor is still in use today on my dad’s pool.

I later refined this by using a DS18B20 waterproof sensor I picked up on EBay. I got 5 of them for something like 4 bucks or so. The build was the same basic thing. I drilled a hole in the pipe plug big enough to pull the wires through, put a dab of JB Weld on the end of the sensor that seated into the plug and pulled it in. Then I put a light coat of JB-Weld oover the body of the sensor. The only purpose of the JB-Weld over the sensor is to prevent corrosion. I have a salt water pool. The original copper sensor would have been eaten alive fairly quick. The DS18B20 is in a stainless steel casing, but I coated it anyhow. Doesn’t affect the readings…

Thanks Mike. I guess somehow I was thinking you had them directly into the pool. I didn’t think about the tubing but I appreciate the ideas and pictures.

By chance did you ever find anything for the pressure gauge? I have a salt water pool tool and always wanted the pressure gauge monitored so I would see when to clean the filter.

I found several options for pressure, but they’re all rather expensive and you have to come up with your own method of getting the data into your system. If you only want to know when the pressure exceeds a given amount, that’s a lot easier and quite a bit cheaper. Not very informative though. How much work are you willing to put in and what’s your budget? I just decided to walk out and check the pressure gauge on the filter every few weeks…

[quote=“Mike Yeager”]I found several options for pressure, but they’re all rather expensive and you have to come up with your own method of getting the data into your system. If you only want to know when the pressure exceeds a given amount, that’s a lot easier and quite a bit cheaper. Not very informative though. How much work are you willing to put in and what’s your budget? I just decided to walk out and check the pressure gauge on the filter every few weeks…[/quote]:slight_smile: I can walk out there I just wanted the ability to graph it in datamine so I can see the history and changes over time.

With datamine I can add variables with other devices so the graph shows outside temp, setpoint, current temperature, and mode state.

My ideas for the pool would be outside temp, pressure, and water temp overlayed so I could see the effects and change in the pool. Helps me spot correlations.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Well, how accurate do you want it to be and what’s your budget? Pressure range will determine the range you need for the transducer. Your best bet will be to read it with a wifi enabled Arduino or an ESP8266.

Mike, I?m curious how long the battery in the Fibaro door sensor last? Please give me a rough idea. Thanks

I had one that would go 7 or 8 months on a battery and another that was eating them in 6 weeks. Thought it may have been the battery, but I’m beginning to think it was actually the sensor itself. Still have issues with that one sensor now and then even though it’s hardwired. I have several of them hardwired and it’s only that one…