Temporarily Disable EventWatcher

akbooer, like a lot of users, I am fighting restarts. And when fighting restarts, pretty much EVERYTHING installed on Vera is a suspect. All plug-ins, devices, etc… So one of the things I want to test is disabling EventWatcher.

In the past I have removed it, and then after a factory reset I initially didn’t reinstall it, etc, so I understand those options, but I am tired of redoing the whole system every time I need to test something. And I consider EventWatcher one of the critical plug-ins I need installed to manage Vera and log activity to my Syslog server.

So my question is whether there is an easy way to essentially disable it? If I remove all entries from WatchCategories, will that bypass all variable_watch commands and mean that the only overhead from EventWatcher is the 5 minute interval checks on system health?

I’m really glad you find it helpful.

So my question is whether there is an easy way to essentially disable it? If I remove all entries from WatchCategories, will that bypass all variable_watch commands and mean that the only overhead from EventWatcher is the 5 minute interval checks on system health?
Yes, assuming that you've not enabled your Vera's Alternate Event Server, and you aren't manually asking for device list reports or anything like that, then from a CPU point of view, if there aren't any watch callbacks happening, there's nothing going on (except as you note, the 5 minute status.)

The problem is, that CPU is not the problem, it’s memory. And doing this will do nothing to reduce memory usage. You could cut the internal cache size down, but really all the space is simply taken by the allocation of a plugin device.

It is relatively straight-forward to imagine configuring [tt]EventWatcher[/tt] to work without creating a device and running in the startup / scene thread, which would save that device memory allocation completely. I have done this for my [tt]DataYours[/tt] suite of applications, and there’s at least one person out there (apart from myself) running it like this.

Come to think of it, if all you are interested in doing is reporting some variable changes to syslog, then you can do this today with [tt]DataWatcher[/tt] running in startup with no device allocation.

Perfect - I am worried about CPU and I/O, so disabling all the WatchCategories should get it done. I want the full functionality of EventWatcher, I just need to to rule it out as contributing to my deadlock restarts…

Hi akbooer,

how can I run EventWatcher on Rpi where is Datayours ?

My VeraEdge restarts daily frequently and I’m trying to identify the origin . So I’m disactivating gradually scene, plugin, device to stabilize the system and isolate the problem.

tnks

donato

[quote=“d55m14, post:4, topic:186812”]how can I run EventWatcher on Rpi where is Datayours ?

My VeraEdge restarts daily frequently and I’m trying to identify the origin . So I’m disactivating gradually scene, plugin, device to stabilize the system and isolate the problem.[/quote]

There probably aren’t going to be any useful events for [tt]EventWatcher[/tt] on the RPi. I do have it running there, but the only thing of interest is really the memory usage. What does [tt]EventWatcher[/tt] do for you that [tt]DataYours[/tt] does not? What are you actually wanting to monitor?

[quote=“akbooer, post:5, topic:186812”][quote=“d55m14, post:4, topic:186812”]how can I run EventWatcher on Rpi where is Datayours ?

My VeraEdge restarts daily frequently and I’m trying to identify the origin . So I’m disactivating gradually scene, plugin, device to stabilize the system and isolate the problem.[/quote]

There probably aren’t going to be any useful events for [tt]EventWatcher[/tt] on the RPi. I do have it running there, but the only thing of interest is really the memory usage. What does [tt]EventWatcher[/tt] do for you that [tt]DataYours[/tt] does not? What are you actually wanting to monitor?[/quote]

Priority is for memory usage for frequent restart.

tnks donato