Support told me to remove batteries in Smoke CO alarms at night!

So since the last update my smoke alarms have been triggering the house siren randomly through out the day and night. I called support and they said its a known issue and that they are going to fix it in the next patch. I asked what I can do and was told to take the batteries out at night. I also asked if I should downgrade to the previous version because the alarms did not go off, support said he recommends me stay on this version and just remove the batteries.

Why would a company [size=14pt]EVER[/size] recommend a customer to remove batteries in a smoke CO alarm??? Especially at Night! Are they just looking for a lawsuit? I think the better answer would have been to assist me in a downgrade.

So can anyone point me to the previous version firmware so I can downgrade?

Hi Matt,

The agent you worked with, asked you to remove the batteries during the night only temporary, for 2 or 3 days, until we can check with our developers to see if they managed to find a quick fix, or if we will have to wait until the next firmware release, in which case it does make sense to downgrade to a previous version.
Today we found out that the issue will be addressed in the next firmware update and one of our agents already sent you instructions on how to downgrade the firmware.

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused to you. Please let us know if you’re encountering any issues with the downgrade.

Regards,
Daniel

MEB, with all due respect, if you are counting on z-wave/vera for your smoke alarm notifications… you are already taking a huge risk. What is triggering the alarm and what alarm is it - like actual smoke detectors siren (which should only happen when actual smoke is detected) or triggers that you built in Vera (which is probably the case)? Instead of taking the batteries out of your detectors, disable the scenes/triggers that trigger the alarm; or disable the device in Vera temporarily. I would never depend on home automation (regardless of the brand) for life important events such as fire notifications. I use vera to do announcement over my sonos when different alarms are detected, but I would never rely on it in life threatening situations, technology is just not there yet.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with the above.

You can downgrade vera firmware for everything to function back like it used to, or you can disable your scenes (or PLEG or what ever you have setup for the logic) to trigger your siren.

The smoke has its own built in siren and that still works and functions fine right now. Only problem with the latest firmware is Vera see’s it triggered when it’s not. This was noted on the forum the first day the update was released. I would recommend you check on here for issues before upgrading to save yourself some issues. Newest is usually not the best.

[quote=“daniel, post:2, topic:188781”]Today we found out that the issue will be addressed in the next firmware update and one of our agents already sent you instructions on how to downgrade the firmware.

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused to you. Please let us know if you’re encountering any issues with the downgrade.

Regards,
Daniel[/quote]

i have yet to get any instructions, please have them sent again.

[quote=“MEB, post:6, topic:188781”][quote=“daniel, post:2, topic:188781”]Today we found out that the issue will be addressed in the next firmware update and one of our agents already sent you instructions on how to downgrade the firmware.

Regards,
Daniel[/quote]

i have yet to get any instructions, please have them sent again.[/quote]

They are available here on the forum.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,32278.0.html

Run a backup. Go to firmware upgrade in your ui7 vera settings enter the URL for the version you want to install for your vera (don’t confuse edge with the others) enter the url in the section that says Advanced:
URL for custom Vera firmware:
and click download. After you can restore if needed.

For the people telling the OP that he can downgrade… all I can offer is that that is not a solution. It took me about 30 tries over 3 full days to upgrade/downgrade, get this thing working. I don’t care what issue I am having, I am not wasting another day trying to downgrade and then go and upgrade again.

Well its always good to read the warnings and pass thrm along but your a rare bird. Also we not suggesting he down grade then upgrade. We are suggesting he downgrade and stay there. Reatoring a backup can help if issues arise. But before upgrading anytime read the forums first and find out the possible problems and own them before you just upgrade beacuse somthing is new. I have three veras and have downgraded many times on atleast one of the veras that i use for a test. I have also never had an upgrade error yet either but they can and do happen. Save backups before assuming anything and dont try and fix whats not broken.

I agree, removing the batteries is not a solution. But I would never trust Zwave or Vera to handle such a task. For smoke, fire, CO2, break in etc I use zwave devices but my primary devices arer hard wired and tied into my alarm system.

[quote=“MEB, post:1, topic:188781”]So since the last update my smoke alarms have been triggering the house siren randomly through out the day and night.[/quote]I have the same issue with my smoke detector. The Vera Edge concluded my Everspring SF813 detected smoke, but the smoke detector itself didn’t trigger (and I know, since I was within 5 ft away from it).[quote=“MEB, post:1, topic:188781”]Why would a company [size=14pt]EVER[/size] recommend a customer to remove batteries in a smoke CO alarm???[/quote]This is insane and extremely irresponsible. As indicated before in this thread, the best thing to do is remove the escalation of the smoke/CO-detector to the siren, and let the devices work in stand-alone mode. I am deeply disappointed that tech support lacks this kind of fundamental product knowledge to point a customer in the right direction.

Jaap

[quote=“ykamenet, post:3, topic:188781”]MEB, with all due respect, if you are counting on z-wave/vera for your smoke alarm notifications… you are already taking a huge risk. What is triggering the alarm and what alarm is it - like actual smoke detectors siren (which should only happen when actual smoke is detected) or triggers that you built in Vera (which is probably the case)?[/quote]Please note that there is an extremely fine distinction between “counting on z-wave/vera for your smoke alarm notifications” and “maximizing survival chances by aiding evacuation”. Most smoke alarms have their own siren, but using a Vera to propagate it to other sirens, initiate emergency ventilation and illuminate evacuation routes maximizes the chances of survival might a real fire occur. Being able to do that is one of the major benefits of Home Automation.

I got a similar alarm tonight, and the Vera definitely thinks it is a regular fire-alarm triggered by a smoke detector. In my house, the sirens were all triggered, and the Emergency Evacuation scene was triggered (setting the ventilation into emergency ventilation mode, and illuminating all rooms, hallway-lights and outside floodlights). Since my evacuation-scene can only be triggered by a smoke alarm, the Vera must have some freak detection. It was just that the smoke alarm itself didn’t think it was triggered (no siren).

Jaap

Had another incident, same sensor (which is within feet of the Vera Edge) turned on the Evacuation Scene. But the sensor didn’t give an alarm. Since I removed all sirens and lights, no practical problem, but it does make you wonder…

Jaap