Sun Sensor

does anyone know somethings avaiable to “detect” sunlight ?

the idea is to give the vera knowlege about windows being exposed to direct sunlight so it can react to control drapes.

Perhaps using a Luminosity sensor from a 4 in 1 or similar?

Although it isn’t Blinds, I use one to determine if I need additional light in the garage and would use similar to control blinds.

[font=verdana]
Use the device Property from a 4 in 1 and PLEG to make a [/font][font=verdana][size=0.7em]comparison [/size][/font][font=verdana]against a full sun reading and clouded over.[/font]

[font=times new roman][size=12px]pLowPassagelight[/size][/font][size=12px]Passage_4 in 1 sensor (light)[/size][size=12px]CurrentLevel[/size][size=12px]143[/size]

[font=times new roman][size=12px]cLowLightPassage[/size][/font][size=12px]No[/size][size=12px]pLowPassagelight <100[/size]

yeah well i’m not so sure Lux is the value to go with …

for the brians i use plain luup … (more flexible and less load)

its just a matter of “how to sense it properly”

Or the new device 6 in 1 from Aotec

Everspring used to have a waterproof exterior lux sensor with display we used in daylighting applications

Funny (not really) how we had light sensors in a $20 x10 motion sensors over a decade ago and zwave still has only one I know of, in a fibaro motion.
Sad

I’m looking for the same. Found a site a while ago (will post it later cant find it) that tels about using a normal lux sensor with 0-10v output and a fibaro rgb unit to read these 0-10v an use this data to switch.

What do they always tell you about temperature sensors … keep them out of direct sun light …
But in this case a temperature sensor may be of use … This will detect radiant energy as opposed to ambient light … compare to thermostat room temp …

Found it again…(link is run trough a translator because of ducth)
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmartinvanrekum.nl%2Farchives%2F271

The light meter
After much searching, I have noticed that the existing z-wave light meters, often combined with motion sensors and thermometers for use only indoors. This measure only a few hundred to a maximum of 1,000 lux (Aeon 4-1 multisensor). This is to measure sunlight nowhere near enough.
After a long search, I ended up with a brightness (Brightness) sensor Loxone . It measures up to 100,000 lux (adjustable) and displays the measured value in the form of a standard 0-10 volt signal.

and

Fibaro RGBW module
This module can not only send LEDs, but the inputs, he has 4 can process a signal of 0-10 volts. Allows the light sensor can be read. A further input may be used for the rain sensor. This input must then be programmed just like switch. In the future, I want to add a wind sensor here, so much wind at the screen remains closed.

true … i think thats a better aproach then getting a ‘Lux’ value …

however since iam interested in the heat-enegery of the sun … (and i did not think of the temp sensor myself)
i start playing with a Infrared Reciever … allow it to recieve “noise”
on direct sunlight (without IR filter) the noise is so great a normal remote control has trouble working.

BINGO ! since the Heat comming from the sun is mostly Infrared and UV … this makes sense,
but it looks like its alot more difficult to get this way to work in a non-high-tech envioment … (not really want to pull a wire to the raspberry or put a audrino next to the window)

so i guess exposing a temp-sensing chip directly to the sun is a much faster aproach …

(i just wanted to bring the Infrared-idea up, maybe someone can jump on that)

Somfy actually makes a wirefree Sun sensor for their line of products http://www.somfysystems.com/products/9013707/sunis-indoor-wirefree-rts-sun-sensor

Just incase you have them. I am using the production data from my solar panels as input for my blinds. One thing I learned, don’t make it react to quickly to changes or your blinds will go up and down all day long ;). I use a 15 minutes averaging on the sun data to make sure two clouds do not make them go up.

Cheers Rene

Is this ZWave? Does Vera UI5 work with it?

You might eventually replace a sun sensor by…no sensor at all. I am using a combination of WeatherUnderground plugin (exterior temperature and sky condition), Heliotrope (sun altitude and azimuth) and combining this through the Combination plugin.
That is sufficient in order to know when sun is shining through windows requiring covering. As the combination plugin can deal with range values, it can also be used for automatic activation and removal of sun protection.

It’s likely that some physical sun sensors would be more reliable, but the virtual sensors solution is already quite efficent…and is free.

true … that does work as well,
as i did pretty much exactly this for about 2 years.

but here in Thailand you can’t even trust the local weather forecast longer than 10 minutes :stuck_out_tongue:
also the weather conditions are extremly localised … (seriously … it can rain here and 200 meter down the road is not a drop in sight and dry streets) :wink:

the next weather undergound station is about 10km away … too far for this margin of error.

RichardTSchaefer’s idea with a temperature sensor working out rather perfect, as the direct sunlight does heat up the glass (and the sensor directly behind it) within secounds… i have a trigger value set to 45degrees Celsius to “detect” direct sunlight … works like a charm and almost realtime too
the sensor is positioned on the most north corner of the window, so it will cool down almost instantly if the sun passed by.

the vera then ajusts Airconditioning setings (fan direction and +1degree) and re-opens the curtains …

worth the 2,50 USD :wink: (well okay plus another 5USD for 10 meter telephone wire :wink: )

[quote=“reneboer, post:12, topic:187003”]Just incase you have them. I am using the production data from my solar panels as input for my blinds. One thing I learned, don’t make it react to quickly to changes or your blinds will go up and down all day long ;). I use a 15 minutes averaging on the sun data to make sure two clouds do not make them go up.

Cheers Rene[/quote]

Hi Rene,

Can you elaborate on how you did this? Can you share the details?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have an Enphase based solar system and use the Enhpase Envoy plugin I made. I have watch on the Watts variable and wait for it to be above my set threshold. If you like I can post the LUA code behind it.

Cheers Rene

[quote=“reneboer, post:17, topic:187003”]Hi,

I have an Enphase based solar system and use the Enhpase Envoy plugin I made. I have watch on the Watts variable and wait for it to be above my set threshold. If you like I can post the LUA code behind it.

Cheers Rene[/quote]

Yes, please share the lua. That would be great! I?m still figuring out how to read out my solar panels, because I have a Ginlong/Solis inverter and there is no plugin for it. So my best chance is to figure out how to get the output to PVOutput.

Hi,

The code is attached. It assumes the data from the Solar system is reasonably current. With my Enhpase PVOut combination the reading I get from PVOut can be more than an hour, hour and a half old, so not sure how well that works. I did find this for the Ginlong WiFi monitoring [url=https://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7941]Ginlong, Omnik Solar, Solarman and Trannergy Inverters - Domoticz. So maybe I can add a more direct interface with less delay, but I will need some debugging help though.

I use some more sensors to make it all tick. First a rain sensor based on a local Dutch weather service, living room temp, and out side temp and forecast.

The code is used by specifying the this file as Implementation file for my sunscreen device. The sunscreen it self is controlled though a third device. Just to keep it all simple :o

Cheers Rene

[quote=“reneboer, post:19, topic:187003”]Hi,

The code is attached. It assumes the data from the Solar system is reasonably current. With my Enhpase PVOut combination the reading I get from PVOut can be more than an hour, hour and a half old, so not sure how well that works. I did find this for the Ginlong WiFi monitoring [url=https://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7941]Ginlong, Omnik Solar, Solarman and Trannergy Inverters - Domoticz. So maybe I can add a more direct interface with less delay, but I will need some debugging help though.

I use some more sensors to make it all tick. First a rain sensor based on a local Dutch weather service, living room temp, and out side temp and forecast.

The code is used by specifying the this file as Implementation file for my sunscreen device. The sunscreen it self is controlled though a third device. Just to keep it all simple :o

Cheers Rene[/quote]

Thanks for the reply and file! This is quite hardcore :wink: I will need some time to figure this one out.

I have already made the request for a direct interface in your plugin thread :P. That would be great!
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,77969.msg377250.html#msg377250