Suggested dimmer? LED bulbs, not happy with Leviton DZMX1-1LZ

I’ve installed a couple of DZMX1-1LZ, and I’m not 100% happy with how little they dim. I’m using Phillips SlimStyle bulbs (3-5 per dimmer, 10.5W per bulb). I find that they dim LEDs so poorly that I’ve tossed incandescent bulbs into the fixture (3) in my bedroom. I realize it’s due to the low total wattage. My “dumb” dimmers work just fine with the same bulbs (and same numbers).

Are the GE or Evolve dimmers any better? Any other dimmers I should look at?

Hi Teapot,

I’m not familiar with the bulbs you are using, however I recently changed to LED’s on one controller circuit. I have a Linear WD500Z-1 with 2 35W eq EcoSmart PAR20’s from home depot. I run them at about 40% brightness with no issues.

JohnRob

I’m tempted to try one of those WD500Z-1s. They aren’t too badly priced ($43CDN on Amazon.ca). I worry that they won’t dim low enough, as I am pretty close to the 40W minimum.

The WD500Z-1 can dim any wattage. I’ve tested them with a single 6watt LED with no issue.

I have not tested the DZMX1-1LZ in the same way, but I have not seen any reports of issues like you describe with the DZMX1-1LZ. It may be an issue with that specific type of bulb. Since the DZMX1-1LZ utilizes a Neutral, it should not suffer minimum wattage issues.

To my knowledge, the only issue with the DZMX1-1LZ is that it lacks Instant Status.

I’ve ordered a WD500Z-1. I’ll post my findings when I get it in and installed. Hopefully it dims a nice amount with 3 bulbs.

The WD500 definitely dims lower than the DZMX1 using around 30w of LEDs. I’ll be swapping some of other switches to them and save my DZMX1s for my basement once I decide to amalgamate the lighting down there (currently it’s wired silly, but I’m in no rush to change it).

[quote=“Teapot, post:1, topic:191126”]I’ve installed a couple of DZMX1-1LZ, and I’m not 100% happy with how little they dim. I’m using Phillips SlimStyle bulbs (3-5 per dimmer, 10.5W per bulb). I find that they dim LEDs so poorly that I’ve tossed incandescent bulbs into the fixture (3) in my bedroom. I realize it’s due to the low total wattage. My “dumb” dimmers work just fine with the same bulbs (and same numbers).

Are the GE or Evolve dimmers any better? Any other dimmers I should look at?[/quote]

Are these particular SlimStyle bulbs labelled as dimmable? The ones I have seen are not. I originally had some Cree LEDs connected to a DZMX1-1LZ, but they tended to hum and had a poor dimming range, especially at the low end. I then tried Philips LED “replacement” bulbs which are labelled as dimmable, and they work much better.

The Philips “SlimStyle” bulbs are labeled as, and are functionally, dimmable…

But, other than being very solid bulbs, they do not do dimming well… Even connected to a traditional dimmer, they have a minimum dim level of about 10%, and do not dim smoothly…

The Ecosmart bulbs, besides being less expensive, have a much better dimming range and are much smoother…

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:4, topic:191126”]The WD500Z-1 can dim any wattage. I’ve tested them with a single 6watt LED with no issue.

I have not tested the DZMX1-1LZ in the same way, but I have not seen any reports of issues like you describe with the DZMX1-1LZ. It may be an issue with that specific type of bulb. Since the DZMX1-1LZ utilizes a Neutral, it should not suffer minimum wattage issues.

To my knowledge, the only issue with the DZMX1-1LZ is that it lacks Instant Status.[/quote]I called Leviton and ask about the DZMX1-1LZ vrs the VRCZ1-1L they said the DZMX1-1LZ has Instant Status but some controllers have a problem with them.

I have many WD500Z-1 and they dim LED well, even at low wattage. The downside is no instant status and the neutral wire requirement. The matching scene controller, WT00Z-1, works flawlessly for 3-4-5 way circuits, even with Vera unplugged.

LED are changing constantly, especially Philips. These new small LEDS work well for bedrooms, as they warm when dimmed. (I like warming some placed, but not in all fixtures.) Only $9.

[quote=“Timon, post:9, topic:191126”]I called Leviton and ask about the DZMX1-1LZ vrs the VRCZ1-1L they said the DZMX1-1LZ has Instant Status but some controllers have a problem with them.[/quote]Call them back and ask them exactly which controllers do work. I expect that there will not be an answer.