Strange Hardware Problem with Powermax Plus

Guys,

I am just stumped.

I’ve had my Powermax Plus working well with my Vera 2 for well over a year. No problems at all.

I’m using a USB to RS232 converter with the correct drivers, and a DB9 to RJ45 Cisco console adapter cable to connect to the Powerlink port on the alarm.

A few weeks ago, I came home to my alarm being without power, internal battery depleted, and I assumed that the 9V AC power adapter died.

I purchased another power adapter, and the alarm comes up fine, recognizes all zones, etc. However, when I plug the serial cable back into the Powermax+ (for between the Powermax+ and Vera 2), the power light on the alarm turns off, and it starts draining the battery. Just by plugging the cable back in between the 2 systems. If I disconnect the cable from the Powermax+, the power LED comes back on, and everything seems normal again (except I need to connect so I can use with Vera and this plugin that I love so much).

I bought another cable, and even a new USB adapter (on the compatibility list for Vera as plug and play), and it does makes the Powermax+ go into some kind of power failure mode. For chance, I plugged the PowerLink module back in to see of that would drag the power down into fail, and the PowerLink came up just fine, and established comm. This is perplexing. Why would a PowerLink still work fine, yet a previously tried and true connection method (even with new cables/adapters) causes the Powermax+ to go into a power failure mode?

Man, I’d hate to have to buy a new alarm to get this going again. Re-zoning a new alarm to a large installed sensor count is going to suck. Any suggestions, or has anyone been through this?

Indeed really weird. I would guess that the Visonic RS232 kit is broken. You wouldn’t be the first.

I have 2 RS232 kits. One was for the original RS232 kit, and one was for the PowerLink. After the failure, I tried both kits, and each one does the same.

I’d hate to order a new RS232 kit, only to find it does the same. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the Powermax Pro. This plugin work just as well with that version of the alarm?

Nothing wrong with a PowerMax Pro (have one myself), but that looks like a bit of overkill for the problem you have.

Does the problem only occur when you connect the ground of the PowerMax to the ground of the Vera? Do you have the same issue if you connect the USB to the PC?

It does it even with the USB interface plugged into a computer, or into nothing at all.

So it starts draining as soon as you connect a UART->USB to the RJ45 cable?

Maybe someone with an electrical engineering background can help you out with this.