Stop buying the current generation Aeotec 4-in-1 sensors

If you’ve ever bought these sensors you know they are a PITA. Great in concept, terrible in real world use. Confusing setup of Z-wave parameters. They eat batteries like candy.

Aeotec now has a 5th generation version of this sensor, based on the latest Z-Wave plus standard. Because of the new standard and chips, battery consumption is greatly reduced while improving radio transmission.

I have not found any distributors selling these yet, but I suspect after January CES there will be an onslaught of newer Z-wave Plus devices.

More info here:

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1163

http://fccid.net/pdf.php?id=2445061

Thanks TC1! I would be happy with just a motion sensor that … worked. Perhaps a Vera Edge in conjunction with these Zwave “plus” devices is the answer…

There are plenty of good motion only sensors out there already. Ecolink, Schlage, and Monoprice are all bascially the same PIR Z-wave sensor guts on the inside. As a a bonus, I know the Monoprice also does temp readings.

I looked at the Monoprice one. It doesn’t seem to have any way (eg dipswitch) to adjust the sensitivity. Which is what I need with 3 large German Shepherds. Anybody has these running on Vera and if so any way to adjust the sensitivity?

The 4 in 1s aren’t good at anything… I have 2, and reading any of the 4 data points is completely laughable. Humidity off by 10points, temp off by 6, light all over the place, and the motion can detect motion in a dark shoe box.

I have one right in front of me. The PET1 and PET2 jumpers are indeed in there. Also, though not documented, you can adjust the the re-trigger timeout variable through Z-wave parameters.

Fibaro has just released their equivalent of the Aeon 4-in-1 and I’ve ordered two to replace my Aeons. I’ve had nothing but problems with them since I got them. Aside from going through batteries like a kid in a candy store, as you note the reported values seem to be all over the place. And, in our case, on the odd morning when the weather turns cold and the house is unusually cool they seem to have more problems detecting motion.

Hopefully Fibaro will do better.

Thank you for the clarification TC1. I’ll add one of them to my next MonoPrice order and see how well it does. Monoprice has the manual on the product page (Products no longer Available) and it doesn’t specify those jumpers. Nor do teh diagrams seem to show any jumpers.

Thank you for the clarification TC1. I’ll add one of them to my next MonoPrice order and see how well it does. Monoprice has the manual on the product page (Products no longer Available) and it doesn’t specify those jumpers. Nor do teh diagrams seem to show any jumpers.[/quote]

Yup, definitely leaves something to be desired. There’s sometimes a trade-off with Monoprice, due to, well, the price.

BTW, here’s how to modify the re-trigger value (taken from another thread), I have played with this and it indeed does work:

You can modify the On time via parameter 1 (1 byte hex). The default is 3 and valid values are 1 → 127 minutes.

Fibaro has just released their equivalent of the Aeon 4-in-1 and I’ve ordered two to replace my Aeons. I’ve had nothing but problems with them since I got them. Aside from going through batteries like a kid in a candy store, as you note the reported values seem to be all over the place. And, in our case, on the odd morning when the weather turns cold and the house is unusually cool they seem to have more problems detecting motion.

Hopefully Fibaro will do better.[/quote]

Hi

When you have time can you provide an assessment of the Fibaro motion/temperature sensor? Thanks

Don

no doubt, one that can be used outside and the sensitivity can be set remotely via a vera config would be nice

My application is simple… walk in the room, turn on the light, leave the room, turn off the light. The response is poor to say the least (unless I walk real slow) LOL. If I use a Minimote, the response is instant leaving me to blame the 4-in-1s.

My latest “solution” is to install an external antenna on the Vera, and have the 4-in-1s talk directly. Perhaps my GE Zwave switches don’t work as repeaters as well as we think…