Starting out Advice

I have been playing with vera automating my christmas lights and am ready to go the next step. Problem is, I do not know the best way to accomplish what I want which is full lighting control. Problem is, my house is older and does not have a neutral at any box. Plus, several locations (house on slab with a second story) would be very hard to run a neutral.

So my question. Would you:
A) buy dimmers and switches that do not require a dimmer?
B) buy Aeotec type devices that install in the light fixture (I already have two of these)
C) try to run neutrals to those places that can be.

I like the cooper style of switches (not sure I like leviton paddle type) and want devices that do not have a noticable relay pop when activated. But if I went with Aeotec, I could buy the regular Cooper switches with the Aeotec in the ceiling.

Also, is there any hope for 3 or 4 button scene controllers without a neutral?

Thanks,

[quote=“Reylas, post:1, topic:178548”]So my question. Would you:
A) buy dimmers and switches that do not require a dimmer?[/quote]
I might use a dimmer that does not require a neutral if I wanted a dimmer at that location and did not intend on using dimmable LED bulbs.

B) buy Aeotec type devices that install in the light fixture (I already have two of these)
This seems like a very good option to me. With Fibaro supposedly going to start selling in the U.S. real soon(TM) I might wait for their more flexible relays and dimmer modules.
C) try to run neutrals to those places that can be.
If it's going to be really hard, as you said, then I probably would not choose this route.
Also, is there any hope for 3 or 4 button scene controllers without a neutral?
If you mean the likes of the [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050T2O1O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0050T2O1O&linkCode=as2&tag=zwavec-20]Leviton VRCS4-M0Z 4-Button Scene Controller[/url], then no. A neutral is required.

But, these GE/Jasco 45631 Wireless Keypad Controllers are battery powered and might suit your needs.

I’d agree with Z-Waver.

A is ok, but with the law in the US that takes effect on 1 January, unless the HR removing the incandescent ban actually goes somewhere, you will eventually have to deal with dimmable LEDs.

B is probably the best. I’ve been out of the HA scene for a few months (focus has been elsewhere), so I can’t really give you an opinion on these yet.

C is an option only if you don’t mind hiring an electrician to bring your house up to code, which is what you might as well do if you want to run neutrals in your house. Plus, depending on the jurisdiction you live in, you might be able to do your own electrical work as long as you live in the house, but be ready for paying for the re-wiring if you do run neutrals to only certain parts of your house and not the whole house.