Sorry, I can't control that device

Just purchased VeraMate (and the Watch app). I’m trying to use the voice commands and am running into some difficulty. Running scenes seems to work fine but I can’t control any individual devices. In all cases, I get the response, “Sorry, I can’t control that device” and the circle turns purple. The text on the screen matches the name of the device. Also, if I try to turn on a device that doesn’t exist, I get a different response. Usually something like, “Sorry, I didn’t understand that.
For example, I have a device called Deck Porch Light. If I say, “Turn on Deck Porch light”. The screen shows “Turn on deck porch light”. But says, Sorry, I can’t control that device”.
But, if I say “Turn on Deck Porch Lamp” (which doesn’t exist), I get the response “I beg your pardon”.
So it seems the app is getting the device correct and knows it exists but can’t follow through on the control.
If I attempt to control the Deck Porch Light from the control menu, it all works fine.

Any thoughts?

I know this has caused a bit of frustration, but changes made getting ready for iOS9 have broken the functionality for many users. A patch is with Apple, and providing they don’t do their normal rejections for new/unknown reasons, it should be released very soon.

Thanks for the response.

I’ll await the update and stop yelling at my phone. :slight_smile:

And an update, this should be fixed in the just released 9.7 this morning :slight_smile:

Applied the update and all works great!

Thanks veramate, very nice app.

Do you Mean 9.2 instead of 9.7?

I am having the same problem.

The version of VeraMate that I updated to this morning is 9.7.2.0
Running iOS 9.0.1

I see an update version of iOS is available 9.0.2. Will update that tonight.

Yep - I figured it out.
It just so happened I just downloaded Veramate on Tuesday. So when I could not make the voice commands work I started researching what I was doing wrong.
This AM I found this thread about the version. I confused the IOS version with the Veramate Version.

I updated Veramate and all is working now - Very excited about customizing this.

Thanks

Hi,

I just purchased version 9.7.2.0 and am having this problem. I cannot control anything via voice command.

Thanks,
Andy

I do think this should be working. There is a known problem where you may have more then one device similarly named, in which case VeraMate can’t quite determine the one to use. I’m working on making this more explicit/better detection, however for now, try changing the name to be more unique.

Eg - “Light one” and “Light one b” might confuse it currently.

Hi,

I had my lights named “Family Room Lights” and another device called “Family Room Heat”. This was the issue as when I renamed teh lights to “Light 1” VeraMate was able to control them via voice. I do look forward to the update you are working on as I would like to keep the original name for the lights but for now this will do. Thanks again for all the hard work and the great support!

Andy

That’s great - just fyi 9.8 will be out in a week or so and it’ll definitely have some better code to try and detect the correct device, as well as better feedback.

Just wanted to follow up on this. I downloaded the newest update a last week and voice control works great! Thanks again for the hard work!

Andy

I’m having problems getting my voice control to work. I just downloaded the latest version 10 I’m running iOS 9 and have a Vera edge. When I try to say Run or activate as scene it says sorry I cannot control that device I have tried to rename the lock. Any idea what’s going wrong ?

It looks like some scenes may not activate properly in version 10 - a fix has been made and will be out as soon as possible.