Sonos plugin

I’m very interested in this plugin. But I’ve tried to install it twice and I don’t get any of the control options in scene actions. I’ve got a Play 5.

A control point is a device that controls Vera. These are typically iPad/iPhone/Android/etc apps that provide a UI to manipulate the devices that Vera has.

eg. AutHomation, SQRemote, etc

What do you mean by this?
I’m not familiar with Control Point.

2[/quote]

Which version?

Are you happy with the quality of the product ?
Is the plugin working well for you ?

I'll have a Sonos Connect to go with it in a week or so, but can certainly do stuff with the Play5 in the meantime.

I am considering ordering a Sonos Connect Amp in a first time. Maybe this week…

I suspect it'll include items for the JSON

I imagine that more than the UI, what I would require is to manage the Sonos through Vera scenes. So the important would be to have callbacks on the plugin to handle what we need. Then we could use a remote for example to listen to a radio, up and down volume, go to next or previous radio in a playlist, …

What could be cool is if Android applications (AutHomation, Home Buddy) could add support for this plugin too.

@lolodomo,
I’m running a modified version of the Plugin. I haven’t checked it in yet as my Build/Source control machine died over the weekend and I’m slowly rebuilding it, and restoring the relevant files. My onsite Backup took a partial hit also, so it’s taking longer than expected.

I like the Play5. It’s smaller than you’d expect, but very easy to cart around (via it’s BR port). I plan on using it for outdoor entertainment so I’m not paying as much attention to the sound quality (although it sounds nice… once you tune back the Bass a little)

Extremely easy to operate. I have iPhone, iPad and Android Tablet interfaces for it. The Tablet oriented interfaces are easier to understand than the phone ones…

I got my Connect (not the Amp/ZP120 model, but the ZP90 equivalent) last night and plumbed it into my receiver via it’s TOSLink connector (only on the Connect model). It’s nice and it let me take the Play5 mobile (remove it’s ethernet connection)

So far, I’ve only used the [modified] plugin code to try the TTS stuff and to do packet traces to get the UPnP [tt]SUBSCRIBE[/tt] calls operational. As has been noted prior, the [tt]NOTIFY[/tt] Callbacks can’t work due to limits in the libs that MiOS is using (both in [tt]lighttpd[/tt] and in [tt]mongoose[/tt]) but I at least have it attempting the callbacks when changes occur.

The TTS stuff is slower to respond than you might like, given all the connectivity pieces that have to get going, but it’s certainly a way to freak out the Mrs 8) “Vera has a voice

On the Plugin front, once I get functional again, I’ll push out the remaining changes for Weather, then move attention to the Sonos. My focus is in adding API’s to it, and making them all Scene aware. My JSON stuff will be extremely minimal, likely only a UI to show what’s currently playing… everything else can be done via a CP.

Play 5 chews about 5W when it’s “idle”. I haven’t measured the Connect yet. I’ve gotta work out what else I can turn off to offset the increase in baseLoad.

What could be cool is if Android applications (AutHomation, Home Buddy) could add support for this plugin too.
Yeah, minimal representation of "current status" might be nice but given the richness of the native apps they already have I wouldn't go much beyond that.

Of course, that’ll require some sort of standardization (a “Status” Service perhaps, so it can be broadly used across other deviceTypes)

[quote=“guessed, post:265, topic:169644”]

Yeah, minimal representation of “current status” might be nice but given the richness of the native apps they already have I wouldn’t go much beyond that.[/quote]

Yes, you’re right.

What I would appreciate would be to use a simple remote for ultra basic commands like start a radio, switch to next radio in my playlist, up/down the volume. When I need to do oher thing, I use my Android phone (I will probably buy a tablet soon).

My internet provider provides TV and radio through ADSL. Is the Sonos system compatible with IPTV radios ?

Here is two elements of a playlist of IPTV radios working in VLC:

#EXTINF:0,10007 - Virgin Radio #EXTVLCOPT:ts-es-id-pid #EXTVLCOPT:no-video #EXTVLCOPT:audio-track-id=1003 rtsp://mafreebox.freebox.fr/fbxtv_pub/stream?namespace=1&service=100004 #EXTINF:0,10009 - Nostalgie #EXTVLCOPT:ts-es-id-pid #EXTVLCOPT:no-video #EXTVLCOPT:audio-track-id=1002 rtsp://mafreebox.freebox.fr/fbxtv_pub/stream?namespace=1&service=100004
Several radios are muxed in one stream (one radio per audio track). Bitrate of each radio is 192 kbps. Codec is MPEG Audio Layer 1/2/3 (it could be MP2 or MP3, VLC does not provide a more detailed information).

So, is there a chance I can access these radios from the Sonos ?

@lolodomo

I do not believe Sonos can separate mixed streams, however if you have VLC doing the separation, then you can feed the single stream into the Sonos via a ‘line in’ - Although saying that - I saw this, it might help http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=24125

@lolodomo,
If you register those URL’s with the Sonos, they translate to something like:
stream x-rincon-mp3radio://mafreebox.freebox.fr/fbxtv_pub/stream?namespace=1&service=100004

in the status page (http://192.168.x.x:1400/status/radiolog), but no matter what you do, it just spins with “Connecting” on the control devices.

So, it really does seem like these won’t work natively (either that, or they’re blocked out of country &/or ISP)

Lolodomo

One big thing also to consider is that Sonos uses (TuneIn Radio) so has one of the most extensive (global) listings of internet radio stations out of the box. Allowing you to access live feeds and podcasts - it is truly impressive. I often listen to US or Australian stations (even though I am based in the UK)

A quick check and I can see a number of Virgin and Nostalgie radio stations listed - check out this link.
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/84/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzQ3NTE4MTI0L3NpZC9BbTVJXzY2bA%3D%3D

[quote=“guessed, post:269, topic:169644”]@lolodomo,
If you register those URL’s with the Sonos, they translate to something like:
stream x-rincon-mp3radio://mafreebox.freebox.fr/fbxtv_pub/stream?namespace=1&service=100004

in the status page (http://192.168.x.x:1400/status/radiolog), but no matter what you do, it just spins with “Connecting” on the control devices.

So, it really does seem like these won’t work natively (either that, or they’re blocked out of country &/or ISP)[/quote]

It can only work for French users having suscribed to the Free internet provider (and so having their box).
It cannot work if you have not subscribed to th internet provider (and you have not their ADSL box).

[quote=“parkerc, post:270, topic:169644”]Lolodomo

One big thing also to consider is that Sonos uses (TuneIn Radio) so has one of the most extensive (global) listings of internet radio stations out of the box. Allowing you to access live feeds and podcasts - it is truly impressive. I often listen to US or Australian stations (even though I am based in the UK)

A quick check and I can see a number of Virgin and Nostalgie radio stations listed - check out this link.
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/84/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzQ3NTE4MTI0L3NpZC9BbTVJXzY2bA%3D%3D[/quote]

I have to check but I believe most of the French radio stations are now available as an Internet radio. My fear is more the audio quality (compression).

Another option would be to connect the Freebox to the Sonos using the line in of the Sonos Connect Amp. The only problem is the lack of a simple user interface to navigate through the stations. Without watching TV screen, it is very difficult to find a new station because they recently suppress the ability to select a station by a number, they now use a kind of library with categories (music, news, … etc).
The Freebox provides a HTTP API but for the same reason (complex navigation) it would be difficult to select a radio from the Vera.

Is it possible with the plugin to select/play the line-in ?

Not yet, but the Sonos Apps just seem to make UPnP Calls so it’s more a matter of working out which one, and then implementing it.

I’m using Vera 2 and UI4 and trying the Sonos plugin. I have Sonos Connect (the Amp) and a few other Sonos devices. I’m using the code from trunk@30, installed it, uploaded successfully, restarted LuuP, and then proceeded to create Device with the IP address of my Sonos Connect.

When in the Advanced Tab and selecting Create Device from Sonos, I get a popup message saying “Invalid JSON for device …”

Any ideas on why this is happening? I followed the instructions on the wiki page. Am I using the latest version of the Sonos plugin (located at trunk@30 where the wiki link drops me)

Thanks

Bob

I wen back into MCV and tried again, this time no JSON error when creating a Device on the advanced tab.

Now the dropdown gets created called Sonos 1 (the name I used).

But then when I go to select from the drop down the action that I want for the scene, the drop down list is blank, only has “Please Select…” but no options like “Play”…

Any ideas why I don’t have the control options in my advanced scene tab?

There are a lot of changes going in to trunk right now to reshape the Plugin. I’ve reset the download link to get the last stable/referenced version (18) for general use.

trunk itself is largely untested, so shouldn’t be the reference for general downloads (unless you can program/debug and/or like pain)

I haven’t worked on the JSON itself, but looking at it there are a number of problems that will need to be fixed up. It looks like the innards of the file have been repeated 3x times, which really isn’t right.

[quote=“bobemorgan, post:276, topic:169644”]I wen back into MCV and tried again, this time no JSON error when creating a Device on the advanced tab.

Now the dropdown gets created called Sonos 1 (the name I used).

But then when I go to select from the drop down the action that I want for the scene, the drop down list is blank, only has “Please Select…” but no options like “Play”…[/quote]

I looked at the JSON and it has a bunch of problems. I’ll try to get around to fixing that. Until then, folks should be using version 18, which was posted a few pages back and I’ve now linked from the Wiki page.

Looks like the AudioIn Service (“[tt]urn:upnp-org:serviceId:AudioIn[/tt]”) might handle this need… once we know what parameters are required.

Not yet, but the Sonos Apps just seem to make UPnP Calls so it’s more a matter of working out which one, and then implementing it.[/quote]