Sonos plugin

[quote=“hadiesper, post:220, topic:169644”]Has anyone tested Trunk 19 and managed to play a playlist?

I have tried the PlayURI option with the following:

x-file-cifs://192.168.2.1/Music/Playlists/chill.wpl

and it didnt work. Any thoughts?[/quote]

It looks like you’re trying to load a windows media playlist, which I don’t think is possible, especially as I believe the Sonos has and stores it’s own playlist (or it might be able to play iTunes m3us (not sure, I’m typing all this away from home so not near my local set up)

Regarding the string to use, (Ive not tried this myself) but I would think it would be one of these commands first, x-rincon-playlist:::* or x-rincon-queue:::* with the * being the internal Sonos playlist reference that you want to play. (I posted a list of the prefixes a couple of pages ago)

Finally, just like the x-file-cifs command (which I only use for an audio file), I guess for playlist/queues you will still need to send a follow up ‘Play’ command to Sonos to kick everything off.

It looks like you're trying to load a windows media playlist, which I don't think is possible, especially as I believe the Sonos has and stores it's own playlist (or it might be able to play iTunes m3us (not sure, I'm typing all this away from home so not near my local set up)

Regarding the string to use, (Ive not tried this myself) but I would think it would be one of these commands first, x-rincon-playlist:::* or x-rincon-queue:::* with the * being the internal Sonos playlist reference that you want to play. (I posted a list of the prefixes a couple of pages ago)

Finally, just like the x-file-cifs command (which I only use for an audio file), I guess for playlist/queues you will still need to send a follow up ‘Play’ command to Sonos to kick everything off.

Thanks for the reply. But what would be the syntax in case I want to play a saved sonos playlist? I think it should look something like this “x-rincon-playlist:file:///jffs/settings/savedqueues.rsq#2” but that does not work. Help with the syntax would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, love what you did with google translate! But when I try it, it seems to always play on repeat. Did that happen with you?

Thanks, I’m very proud that we could get that to work ;), regarding the repeating , I think this is due to the Sonos thinking that it’s lost the stream, (as Google are probably only sending the required information and then cutting you off,) so the Sonos most likely try’s to connect/request it again.

As for a fix, all I can suggest is that you send a Stop command after a preset delay period e.g 10 seconds (depending on the length of your TTS requirements) - if you like we can progress any more of the TTS specific stuff under my other post, as I would love that to evolve (http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11269.0.html) thus, allowing this post to stay focused on the functionality of the @ankers plugin.

So… Back to your desire to load a playlist, I’ve just checked and Sonos supports .wpl, M3u & .pls to be imported, but what I don’t know is how these are used/translated, I always understood Sonos playlist were basically saved queues, so these imported files might be converted to a saved queue (i’m totally guessing here) but I will continue to do some digging as I’m learning something too.

@hadiesper - I don’t think the plugin can load playlists at the moment, but i did some digging, if you look in your Sonos via http://192.168.x.xxx:1400/xml/AVTransport1.xml.

There is an “AddURIToQueue” action that I couldn’t see in the plugin - as I think @Anker is only currently providing arguments from the “SetAVTransportURI” action, which by the looks of things will just load a single request straight in.

Disclaimer :slight_smile: I am so far from being an expert on this (so far from it), but to achieve what you need i believe the plugin will need to have the “AddURIToQueue” action and arguments added to the l_sonos1.xml file.

If you have some coding skills, I’ll stick my neck and and say, you can probably build on @ankers existing code to create the action and all the argument options you need.

Is there a new installation process for this latest Trunk (19) ?

I have tried upgrading from my older Trunk 14 version but couldn’t get it to recognise the correct device type again.

I was following the instructions from the Sonos Plugin Wiki as before.

I was hoping that with the new JSON file this would be simpler, but seems not, or am I doing something daft?

Thanks

Gizmo

Hi @anker, i didn’t realise you had started on trunk 19. A quick fyi, the original flashicon ref i used in the first JSON was too big, so if you can replace it with this one below it seems to work better. (The eventual goal is to put the icon’s png on to Vera that way the json can look for it locally)

“flashicon”: “http://cdn4.staztic.com/cdn/logos/sonos-controller-for-android-352.png”,

Hi @GizmoB73, what do you mean by not getting it to recognise the device type?

Well, I have trunk 14 (or is it 15, I am not sure) working perfectly. I then uploaded the 5 files from trunk 19, and deleted 1 of my Sonos’s.

When I re-add my Sonos using just the device file and the name, and then subsequently add the IP address after the device is created, it doesn’t create the device as Avmisc:1, it is just a generic device that will not work or do anything.

I have restored a previous backup and all is working again, but I was wondering how we are supposed to load and use the new trunk.

Thanks

Gizmo

Sorry guys,

Trunk 19 seems not to work - I have been to fast and notntested this properly. Pls use trunk 18.

/anker

[quote=“anker, post:228, topic:169644”]Sorry guys,

Trunk 19 seems not to work - I have been to fast and notntested this properly. Pls use trunk 18.

/anker[/quote]

Any chance you could include a URL for trunk 18, I am struggling to find where I can get it from this time?

Thanks

Gizmo

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_sonos-wireless-music-systems/browser/trunk?rev=18

• Garrett

[quote=“garrettwp, post:230, topic:169644”]trunk – Sonos Wireless HiFi Music Systems

• Garrett[/quote]

@Garrett, thanks for that.

Does anybody know if I can just replace my Trunk14/15 files with these from Trunk18, re-start the Luup engine and then test it, or do I have to remove and re-create the devices?

Any views?

You should just be able to upload the new files. If nothing drastic changed on the device side, you should be ok.

• Garrett

This topic is very promising.
The TTS feature looks “terrific”. I just made some tests and Google TTS is available for English but other languages too. But speech synthesis looks better in english than in french (sound quality).
Other interesting feature: ability to play music when a particular event occurs or when scheduled.

Today I explored the Web to understand what are the advantages of the Sonos system and I would be fully convinced if the cost was not so much expensive.

I imagine the Sonos equipment go into standby mode automatically when they do not distribute music ? Is the wake-up very fast when a controller sends music again ?

The price is what’s been keeping me away also, although it looks like great kit. Even eBay prices, for used Play3 & Play5 models, are strong.

On the plus side, that probably bodes well for the initial purchase holding it’s value 8)

They use a mesh network, which they have to keep powered up, so the idle power usage isn’t as low as you’d probably like. They do shutoff the Amp section when no music is going through, but the mesh still needs to be kept alive.

There are a few postings on the net about this, and their support site has some data on it also:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/260

Hi @lolodomo

Price was the barrier for me too, I couldn’t justify it intially, but after seeing, hearing and playing with a friend’s i was sold (discount codes, vouchers and birthday, sealed the deal) - and now, having over 9000 music tracks on a NAS, a love of streaming radio and music (via spotify), coupled with a desire not to have to have a PC on all the time, the Sobis has become an integral part of the house.

A true sign of its success is that my girlfriend loves to use it, which is a first for any bit of kit I’ve bought home :wink:

Since moving into HA, my Sonos is now being positioned as a key componant in that, as it’s also used as an Alarm/siren and to play certain mp3s as part of some scenes. But I’m investing more time in TTS* now for my Veralite.

Examples - I had a friend create a php script that looks at any new mail and then generates the TTS URL request for Sonos which tells me "I have a new mail, and who it is from " its freaky stuff !!
Coupled with the alarm clock plug in, it also tells me when to put the rubbish out or to leave the house so I do not miss my train plus, I hope to be able to get it to tell me the status of a room, based on some set variables.

This Sonos plugin is still developing, but thanks to people like @anker & @guessed it proving to be a great enhancement to anyones Vera/Sonos experience. (I just wish I could contribute more on the coding side)

• There is also the Squeezebox, after all we should not only talk about the one product, that will allow you to do much of the same as the Sonos and is a bit cheaper. Not as good IMHO but then I am probably very biased now :wink:

[quote=“parkerc, post:236, topic:169644”]Hi @lolodomo

Price was the barrier for me too, I couldn’t justify it intially, but after seeing, hearing and playing with a friend’s i was sold (discount codes, vouchers and birthday, sealed the deal) - and now, having over 9000 music tracks on a NAS, a love of streaming radio and music (via spotify), coupled with a desire not to have to have a PC on all the time, the Sobis has become an integral part of the house.[/quote]

One thing I could regret is the ability when I wake up in the morning to zap radios from my bed pushing one button of the remote even without looking at the remote.
Is it easy with the (android) controller to at least recall the last thing played (radio for example). Not 10 actions to do on the controller ?
While I am writing my remark/question, I suddenly realize I could probably use a simple Z-Wave remote to zap through a playlist of radios using the plugin ? Is it already something doable ?

One thing disappointing IMHO in the lack of at least one digital input for the Connect and Connect Amp models. As the box includes a DAC, it would be minor additional cost to add a digital input.

Since moving into HA, my Sonos is now being positioned as a key componant in that, as it's also used as an Alarm/siren and to play certain mp3s as part of some scenes. But I'm investing more time in TTS* now for my Veralite.

Examples - I had a friend create a php script that looks at any new mail and then generates the TTS URL request for Sonos which tells me "I have a new mail, and who it is from " its freaky stuff !!
Coupled with the alarm clock plug in, it also tells me when to put the rubbish out or to leave the house so I do not miss my train plus, I hope to be able to get it to tell me the status of a room, based on some set variables.

All this is of course gadget but very interesting ;D

This Sonos plugin is still developing, but thanks to people like @anker & @guessed it proving to be a great enhancement to anyones Vera/Sonos experience. (I just wish I could contribute more on the coding side)

I could help in the future in case I finally decide to go with Sonos.

* There is also the Squeezebox, after all we should not only talk about the one product, that will allow you to do much of the same as the Sonos and is a bit cheaper. Not as good IMHO but then I am probably very biased now ;)

Unfortunately Logitech recently announced they gave up the SqueezeBox familly of products. They will continue support of products during two years.
The problem with SqueezeBox system is the need to install a SqueezeBox server on a PC and to have the PC alive all the time. The choice of Sonos to not be dependent on a particular server is a major plus.

The iPhone controllers is very good, so I would assume the free Android one is too, so both will easily be able to (i’m sure) meet your needs

Looking at the plugin and the list of things you can potentally do with the Sonos upnp commands the future option list is pretty long. Many of the basic/important commands are already there to do the simple things, so i can also create scenes (or code) to do some very specific things too when a certain trigger is hit etc.

Anyway, i’ll stop telling you what you already know :wink:

All i will say is that seeing the great work you’ve done on the RFXrtx Plugin, having you as a contributor to the Sonos Plugin would be very valuable.

Can someone explain to me in which case the Sonos brige is really required ?
If I correctly understand, as soon as a Sonos player is (wired) connected to my home network, a SonosNet WiFi network is created and then other Sonos players will connect to the SonosNet network.
That means a Sonos player can act as a bridge ? And the bridge does not need to be necessarly connected directly to the router but can be somewhere on the home network (even through a physical CPL connection) ?

What is the interest of the two RJ45 ports on each Sonos player ? Does it mean that the player includes a network switch ?

In term of audi quality, is there a real difference between the Play 3 and the Play 5 ?

@lolodomo

In term of audi quality, is there a real difference between the Play 3 and the Play 5 ?

You can look at this test (In French)