Something very strange happened with Vera this morning

When I got up this morning I thought it was kind of warm in the house (live in AZ so yes it’s still warm), I checked my Train Z-Wave thermostats and they were set at 77 degrees (Vera is supposed to set them to 73 at 3am, and even if she fails there is a built in schedule to do it at 3:05 am). There is no time throughout the day that they are set to 77 so no logical reason for them to be at 77. Then I logged on to Vera to check and low and behold all of the other switches that were supposed to be on were off and vice-versa.

So, either there was a very strange glitch in the system last night or someone hacked my mios account. I’ve changed my password but I would love some feedback on this one.

Thanks folks,

Mark

vera 1 or vera 2 what version of firmware, how long has it been in service.
:slight_smile:

Vera 2, 1.1.1047 on the firmware and it’s been in service a couple of months.

Thanks for the reply,

Mark

Can you check the logs. I hope you did not power it off.

I did power it off, sorry. I still haven’t figured out on this thing how to get to the logs, it doesn’t work from the UI.

Mark

You need to ssh into Vera. You can find the directions on the wikki I belive.
I hate they have removed the quick and easy log viewer.

Hi Folks,

I’ve been trying to figure out how to ssh in to Vera to get the logs. I’ve followed the instructions here http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Somfy_Walkthrough#Step_1:_SSH_into_Vera but when I try to telnet in to set the root password I get “connection refused” and of course the “Advanced Network Options” don’t work in UI4 so I can’t set it there. I can’t ssh in as I don’t have a password and it asks for one.

Vera has been messing around since the beginning of this post (couple of days), I’ve rebooted it several times but it still continues to switch things on and off or not do anything.

Since I purchased this device; I’ve been trying to keep positive about it with all it’s little “issues”, but honestly right now it’s about 5 minutes away from eBay. I work for a software company and if we sold something as hokey as this we’d be out of business in a heartbeat.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,
I hear your frustration. I have (6) TStats in my home and all are working fine with Vera2 and UI4. I have several of them changing to ‘night mode’ every evening which changes the set points. They get reset at like 5:00am to cool back down to daytime norms.

I have been using my Vera2 for less than two months and it was a bit jumbled for me in the beginning as well. Once configured though (and once I got to understand it better) it does exactly what I wanted it to do, reliably (so far).

I did find that updating firmwares gives some issues where devices needed to be reconfigured and some scenes remade to get them working again.

[quote=“raskell, post:8, topic:166623”]Mark,
I hear your frustration. I have (6) TStats in my home and all are working fine with Vera2 and UI4. I have several of them changing to ‘night mode’ every evening which changes the set points. They get reset at like 5:00am to cool back down to daytime norms.

I have been using my Vera2 for less than two months and it was a bit jumbled for me in the beginning as well. Once configured though (and once I got to understand it better) it does exactly what I wanted it to do, reliably (so far).

I did find that updating firmwares gives some issues where devices needed to be reconfigured and some scenes remade to get them working again.[/quote]

Hi Raskell,

I had the same experience as you at first, it was difficult to set up, then it worked just fine for a few weeks, then for no reason it starts switching things on and off in the wrong sequences or not doing it at all. I changed nothing, haven’t even logged in to it for a couple of weeks.

I think my real frustration is that I don’t understand Luup or the routers O/S. I’m a Windows guy these days and I haven’t done any kind of coding for 20 years or so, so if it was a Windows app I’d probably at least be able to figure out a bit more about trouble shooting it. Right now I’m starting to consider Homeseer. I went with Vera after looking at various options before because of the touted “ease of use” which isn’t exactly what I’ve experienced after sending the first box back because it was DOA, and then being on the phone with MCV support for over 2 hours just to get the second one to respond. After that it ran fine for a while (the hokey UI4 taken in to consideration), this is just another nail in the coffin. My thought was I would be able to set it, then leave it to control everything and not worry about it, but it sure hasn’t turned out that way.

If I can get some help with the thing I’ll stick with it for a bit longer but I am (as you can probably tell) just about at the end of my tether.

Thanks for the response.

Mark

@MarkC

To your original issue: Have you been bitten by the 24H time base in Vera for your scenes? I had this happen once to me early on where night was day and day was night, on was off and off was on, etc. . . Never had it ‘make-up’ its own setpoint though. Once I set the problem scene(s) for 22:00 and not 10:00 it straightened out. Just a thought. . . . . :slight_smile:

[quote=“raskell, post:10, topic:166623”]@MarkC

To your original issue: Have you been bitten by the 24H time base in Vera for your scenes? I had this happen once to me early on where night was day and day was night, on was off and off was on, etc. . . Never had it ‘make-up’ its own setpoint though. Once I set the problem scene(s) for 22:00 and not 10:00 it straightened out. Just a thought. . . . . :)[/quote]

Hi Raskell,

As I mentioned before; it’s been working find for the past few weeks, plus I’m originally from Europe where we work with the 24 hour time system as standard so it’s unlikely that would catch me out.

I’m not sure what is going on or how to figure it out.

Did you ever get this resolved?

I have experienced a similar issue --not with thermostats but with a scene. The scene is normally triggered by a switch (event trigger not timer), but a couple times it has mysteriously gone on by itself in the middle of the night.

If the scene was timed based like yours, I’d tend to blame the timer code in MIOS, but since mine isn’t timer based, I’m thinking there might be a buffer issue (a command to run the scene got lost in the event stack at some point, and Vera finally got around to it at 5 am).

I’ve sent a trouble ticket in, but thought if your problem was resolved, it might help me.

I need to search a bit and see if this is mentioned somewhere else- but last night i rebooted the router. Prior to the reboot I had a light on at 35% (triggered by a vera timer based scene earlier that eveneing). When i rebooted the vera it shut the light off.

On a Vera2 with UI4- current released version with the beta tag.

on a Vera1 with UI2 it kept track of what was on and left stuff that way with a reboot. (I beleive there’s a table someplace with that info). I’d assume vera2 with ui4 is expected to behave the same. But maybe there’s a bug someplace where it loses track of things from a reboot (like from a short power loss)?