small motion sensor

I searched through the supported hardware page and looked up products but it’s difficult to find sizes for some of the motion sensors. I was wondering if you all could suggest the smallest motion sensor supported by the Vera. I have a couple of these:

but they are a little big for my liking. Really, the Iris motion sensors at Lowes are an awesome size but it appears that these are unfortunately zigbee.

I have one Aeon Labs 4-n-1 sensor, one EZMotion 3-n-1 sensor, several CA9000 motion sensors, and several Schlage Nexia RS200HC motion sensors.The Schlage Nexia RS200HC motion sensor is the smallest one of the four types I use with my Vera 3 system. None are as small as the Iris motion sensor which is not Z-wave.

Thanks, I’ll check out the RS200HC. Appreciate the help!

I would think a more important question … is what is the most reliable motion sensor …
You would likely be better served with a “Wired” motion sensor from an Alarm system connected via a Z-Wave contact switch … Most of the Z-Wave motion sensors are quite lacking in customer satisfaction.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:4, topic:177071”]…
Most of the Z-Wave motion sensors are quite lacking in customer satisfaction.[/quote]

In what respect? The Aeon 4-in-1’s features look attractive. I read about some of the setup problems, but apparently the newer devices work with Vera. What difficulties should I expect? I would power this from USB.

Thanks.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:4, topic:177071”]I would think a more important question … is what is the most reliable motion sensor …
You would likely be better served with a “Wired” motion sensor from an Alarm system connected via a Z-Wave contact switch …[/quote]

A more important question for your needs perhaps, not mine. My use is to simply turn some lights on and off so reliability takes a back seat to size. I have a separate (non z-wave) security system with good reliable motion sensors.

So it’s ok for the device not to detect motion, and trip lights? Or to detect it late?

If you read back through this sub-forum, you’ll see a long history of the issues people have had with the battery powered Z-Wave based Motion devices. Some of the newer ones may be better, but the likes of the HSM-100’s (Gen1,2,3), ACT HomePOS (etc) have a long history of problems. I have a couple of these in a box in the garage as a result of their poor overall performance.

They often improve a little by being mains powered, but you’re still left with a small # of options.

Once you start wanting to get closer to presence-detection, you need detectors that are fast, have a wide sensitivity range (etc) in order to improve the speed at which lights (etc) come on.

There’s nothing worse than walking into a dark room 30% of the time because a device failed to detect, or detect & act, quickly.

I suspect this is all part of the reliability that Richard is referring to, and it’s why a number of us have integrated our Alarm systems - to give us choice over a wide range of available sensors, and ability to choose the ones with the specific characteristics we need (accuracy, false-detection, spread, size, placement, internal-external etc).

For smaller, powered, deployments you can also use the contact-sensor method in order to give yourself some choice. This gives you the advantage of access to a wide array of reliable motion detectors, in various shapes and sizes, without having to start out with a full-blown Alarm integration.

Out of interest, what make/model is the Alarm system?

Yes, this is ok. Again, I’d much rather have lights turn on late or even not turn on at all than have a big motion sensor in the places I’m needing them put. I have 6 motion sensors set up already (3 from alarm system, and 3 from z-wave system) and they are larger than I’d like but I’m ok with that because of where they are located. In the new spots where I’m looking for motion detection, I definitely need smaller than what I currently have.

I have a Simon XT

Fair enough.

I’d love to see something like a ceiling-mounted motion sensor, but merged into a powered device you already have in the room (like a Smoke/CO2 Sensor, or light fixture, to avoid batteries). Once you mount them up high, the issues of spread/coverage, and to some extent overall physical size, start to be less important (IMHO). Merging it with an existing ceiling-mounted, and powered, device would further ease the installation headaches.

I recently used a ceiling-mounted, and hard-wired, motion sensor and it’s something I’d use again for automation (as compared to wall-mounted). The coverage is great and it’s out of the way - esp once you turn off the detection LED’s. In my case though, it’s wired to my Alarm system (Paradox), so it’s not for everyone. It’d also be a lot more bulky if you had to power it externally. A version that provides direction-of-motion would be even better, as I’m sure you’ll find out soon.