side-by-side rental units: experiences with one or two veras?

I have two vacation/rental townhomes - one that I’ve had (unit#1) , and one that I just purchased and renovated (unit #2). These units share a common wall, though this common wall includes a cinder-block firewall.

I have had a veralite in Unit#1 that’s been working great, and from the get-go of unit#2, had intended to establish a separate wifi-network and install a new Vers Edge, which I bought already.

But, I am at a cross-roads due to network complexity. I can still establish a separate wifi-ntwork in unit #2 (and the Vera Edge), but it is becoming more complicated. :-\ Thinking about trying to use the single existing network, instead of adding a second.

While in the new unit #2, I get the wifi signal from the unit #1 network seemingly without issue. While I have not tried as of yet (these units are not close to home), I am thinking of trying to run all z-wave devices in unit 2 off the vera in unit 1. I am hoping that the vera signal will work as well as the wifi does between the units - maybe even more so considering nodes and the z-wave mesh.

My question is - does anyone have any experience here? Also, if I do (am able) run both units off of one Vera, would i be best to switch to the VeraEdge versus keepign the VerLite? There are not many devices - less than 20 between both units
TIA

First are we correct to asume these are used by the same person and should never be used or rented or anything by seperate people? If they are sperate then just keep them on different wifi and Vera’s. If not…

For networking have you looked into something like Ubuntu ubiquiti unifi ap’s? Then you can have one big easy to use network rather then smaller seperate wifi.

One vera if you dont have battery devices and you keep vera on thag central wall you may be ok on range.

Even if you use two seperate veras you can use imperihome and combine them in one app.

You have lots of options.

integlikewhoa,

Actually, the units will be frequently used by separate groups/renters. Just that I am trying to share certain aspects of my costs and running separate routers and wifis off a single ISP is not as simple as I thought.

If I could get the signal to reach (Vera is located on the central wall), I was figurig I could just label the various devices appropriately to distinguish between the units.

Instead fo two separate wifi networks, does anyone have experience using two veras in one network? Another thought I had was to run a LAN cord from unit #2 to unit#1’s router and attach a second Vera. Not sure if there is issues with two veras on same network?

I run 2 Vera’s for my own home with no issues. Actually at this time I am running 4 of them. :slight_smile: My 2 production vera 3’s and both their successors (a Vera Edge and a Plus) are also online but still in testing mode.

If you want to use only one Vera, make sure it’s locked away so none of your renters can access it. Otherwise your unit 1 crowd could have a lot of fun messing with the unit 2 crowd.

There is actually a way to run 2 separate networks on one wireless router. Using VLAN’s by connecting a DD-WRT compatible router to your internet connection in unit 1. Run a network cable to unit 2 and set that on a separate VLAN from the one for unit 1. Both units will have internet access but not be able to see eachother’s network. Again, I’d suggest to make sure it’s behind lock and key.

DD-WRT router database → DD-WRT » Router Database

DD-WRT: setting up VLAN → VLAN Detached Networks (Separate Networks With Internet) - DD-WRT Wiki

thanks BOFH,

I have heard about the VLAN setup and am very interested in it, but it sounds complicated. My rental homes are not close by and I’ve found apple routers to be very reliable, but I don;t think they offer such. think it may be simpler to just wire in another vera…especially seeing as you are not having issues running two (four!) on the same network.

That said, I wil check out the links you posted with great interest. And yes, all of my electronics are in a locked electonics cabinet :wink:

I have one of each Vera product wired to the same router on the same VLAN … No problems!

I have never connected any Vera to the LAN via WIFI.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:6, topic:192659”]I have one of each Vera product wired to the same router on the same VLAN … No problems!

I have never connected any Vera to the LAN via WIFI.[/quote]

Yes, I am not interested in doing any Vera via WiFi. didn;t ven know that was an option actually. I’m old school here - veralite on UI5.

So, for the meantime, I simply added devices from unit #2 to the veralit in unit #1 and the signal seems to be reaching fine.

RTSchaefer, you’ve been around a long time buddy - I remember learning alot initially about vera from your posts and a few select others!

Sounds like you have VLAN setup - do you have two routers & wireless networks? If so, what equipment are you using?

I have a commercial Cisco router … but my setup for all of my Veras is the same as someone that has a simple router or switch.

Just Plug all the Vera’s onto the same router.
Let the router assign each Vera a reserved/static DHCP provided IP address.
Then you can treat each Vera as an independent unit. Everything, including remote access, will work fine.