Setting up Vera Alerts

Using UI7, I am having some trouble setting this up…

I add a notification for various devices under the notification tab.(Should I be checking the box there next to the user?)

I then go to the Vera Alerts plugin and some of the Notifications I created show up, a lot do not, and one, shows the Name from one alert with a description from another.

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this?

[quote=“johnes, post:1, topic:190155”]Using UI7, I am having some trouble setting this up…

I add a notification for various devices under the notification tab.(Should I be checking the box there next to the user?)

I then go to the Vera Alerts plugin and some of the Notifications I created show up, a lot do not, and one, shows the Name from one alert with a description from another.

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this?[/quote]

Yes you need to check the user or nothing will happen.

If they do not so it’s because of issue above or because you went to fast and didn’t reload Luup before leaving the notifications tab. (it didn’t save)

It’s really weird… I have now removed all notifications from all f my devices.

I reload Luup, reload browser, go to Vera Alerts… 4 alerts are still there for 2 devices. I go to the devices and tey are not there.

Then, I add alerts for a device, go to Vera Alerts and those don’t appear.

Even stranger… if I click on Report on Vera Alerts, it shows me the new alerts I created, plus some of the old ones that no longer exist.

[quote=“johnes, post:3, topic:190155”]It’s really weird… I have now removed all notifications from all f my devices.

I reload Luup, reload browser, go to Vera Alerts… 4 alerts are still there for 2 devices. I go to the devices and tey are not there.

Then, I add alerts for a device, go to Vera Alerts and those don’t appear.

Even stranger… if I click on Report on Vera Alerts, it shows me the new alerts I created, plus some of the old ones that no longer exist.[/quote]

Sounds like the goofy vera UI playing tricks on you. I’m sure witha little more playing you’ll find the right combination of how to reload luup (might just do a full vera restart) and browser clearing. Maybe after the restart try from another computer or atleast browser to test. But it sounds like it’s just not getting the right reload and refresh going on.

I just installed this app and I’m having trouble configuring it.
I would like it to send me push notification messages for my PLEG home and away notifications.
Currently, I’m receiving email messages for such actions.

How do I setup this?

Thanks

[quote=“embeeded, post:5, topic:190155”]I just installed this app and I’m having trouble configuring it.
I would like it to send me push notification messages for my PLEG home and away notifications.
Currently, I’m receiving email messages for such actions.

How do I setup this?

Thanks[/quote]

First you need to get your device or phone paired up with it. What are you using the andriod app? Or somthing else?

After you get that setup… in PLEG you need to setup notifications and choose the person to send the alert too.

thanks, I was missing the paring.
I configured a profile for my android phone and attached my user to it.
the send alert option does nothing, I tried to send a test notification.

Inita steps are easy

On Android:

1. On Android Phone … Settings Menu Register
  2. Go Back to settings menu and write down your Vera Alerts Mobile ID (Its a randomly generated 12 character string)

On Vera
3) Create a Profile of type Vera Alerts Mobile
4) Set the VeraAlertsID from step (2) above.
5) Goto Settings page
6) Turn on Process Notifications
7) Turn on Internal Alerts
8) Select your user name in the bottom left, select the new profile on bottom right
9) Select default user on bottom left, select the new profile on bottom right
10) Goto Send Alerts
11) Click the profile name OR your user name
12) Specify a message text
13) Send

I’ve followed the steps and still the send alert option did nothing.
Do I must register? it allows 30 days of free usage doesn’t it?

Hello!
I have some thoughts and questions.

If you have a profile in Vera Alert with the name “mail in the mailbox” and you want a notification to 2 cell phones
Do you have to have two profiles then?
both my wife and I want a signal when the postman comes. (2 mobiles with different ID)

Another question.

How is the idea how you should setup Vera Alert?

How have other users setup the profile of Vera Alert?

I would like to have it as a profile in Vera Alert is a scene in vera. So you choose in Vera Alert the user that will receive the notice.

As it is, you have to make a profile in vera with the have a name like “garage door open” and then choose the profile of Vera Alert who should have the notice

I get short circuit in the head when I try to figure out how to set up the settings in Vera Alert.
I bought the profiles, I have 4 of them.

We are 5 in the family and have 5 profiles (users) in Veran with our names.

I know it can be messy to understand me … blame it on the Google Translate;-)

//Lars

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:8, topic:190155”]Inita steps are easy

On Android:

1. On Android Phone … Settings Menu Register
  2. Go Back to settings menu and write down your Vera Alerts Mobile ID (Its a randomly generated 12 character string)

On Vera
3) Create a Profile of type Vera Alerts Mobile
4) Set the VeraAlertsID from step (2) above.
5) Goto Settings page
6) Turn on Process Notifications
7) Turn on Internal Alerts
8) Select your user name in the bottom left, select the new profile on bottom right
9) Select default user on bottom left, select the new profile on bottom right
10) Goto Send Alerts
11) Click the profile name OR your user name
12) Specify a message text
13) Send[/quote]

That works up to Step 7 (Once I realised it meant the plugin Settings page) but I grind to a halt at step 8. There’s nothing on the bottom right! And where is the “Send Alerts”? The Editor Option/Send Message Now tells me it’s sent a message, bot nothing ever appears on my phone, so something is still missing. I just have no idea of what.

Note that there are to lists …
One for activities on ANDROID …

The long list is labeled for Vera … Those are all done on your VERA!!!

Yes, I know the long list items are done on the Vera. My points still stand: there is nothing in the lower right and there is no Send Alerts button that I can see.

And going into Editor Option/Send Message Now doesn’t work. I can select the recipient or the profile, write a message and hit Send Message but thing happens. No alert is ever received on the App, and no email is delivered if I use the SMTP profile either.

I suspect that there’s something fundamental missing :frowning:

[quote=“JDL, post:13, topic:190155”]Yes, I know the long list items are done on the Vera. My points still stand: there is nothing in the lower right and there is no Send Alerts button that I can see.

And going into Editor Option/Send Message Now doesn’t work. I can select the recipient or the profile, write a message and hit Send Message but thing happens. No alert is ever received on the App, and no email is delivered if I use the SMTP profile either.

I suspect that there’s something fundamental missing :([/quote]

Yes, there was something missing. I hadn’t registered the app on the phone. Important step that!

Forgive me if this doesn’t belong in this thread, but I’m not sure where else would be more appropriate.
I’ve just “upgraded” to a Vera Plus (UI7) and I’m really confused with scene creation. I don’t see any place to input LUUP code, and I can’t see an option to add a Vera Alerts message either.
Maybe I’m more clueless than I suspected, but am I totally off track? Where am I supposed to set up these messages to send and connect them to triggers?
Maybe someone can point me to an instruction document for this plugin (and maybe one about the differences of UI7 compared to UI5 in general)?

Thanks!

There are three options to send alerts from a Scene in UI7

1. In the Scene … there is a place to “Notify these users”
    Here you select a Vera User. If you have a Vera Alerts Profile(s) associated with that user, then it will be processed by Vera Alerts.
    Need to do the Vera Alerts Configure Notifications, when ever you add or modify an Alert.

2. In the Scene … there is the Advanced Editor.
    You can add the Vera Alerts Device to send an Action, select the SendAlert action.
    Use a VeraUser name or Vera Alerts Profile Name for the recipient. (You can have more than one)
    Then specify your message.

3. You can call Vera Alerts from the LUA code in the Scene … you can search to find examples, or check my web page.
    I do not discuss this much, because most people have problems dealing with the details needed when working with LUA.

Thanks for your help!

I think I’ve figured it out.

One of the problems that I just discovered was that when I was selecting “create a scene” I was presented with this annoying basic “wizard” where I chose a device as a trigger (for example a motion sensor), and then it prompted me for a device action for step 2. I didn’t realize that I could just scroll down, skip step 2 and select “notify these users” or add LUUP code in step 3. I can also see that I can access the advanced editor there.

This is pretty great! The only thing I’m a little concerned about is how this overlaps with UI7’s built-in notifications. While experimenting thus far, I’ve found that using method #1 as you’ve instructed blows up my phone with alerts (an email and text message from UI7, and then the alert from Vera Alerts). I’d like to keep the email and text alerts for certain things for redundancy, for example: if my alarm system is triggered, but I can see that it would become very annoying to have all of these messages for most triggers.
Just for clarification, if I were to set a scene to ignore the “Notify these users” in step 3 of scene creation, but then use the “SendAlert action”, I will not receive a message if I’m not on my home LAN, correct?

I can figure out the Lua syntax on my own if/when I need it. Thanks again.

Edit: Finally noticed the help file. It answers most of my questions.

Just for clarification, if I were to set a scene to ignore the "Notify these users" in step 3 of scene creation, but then use the "SendAlert action", I will not receive a message if I'm not on my home LAN, correct?

I do not know how you would do this …
I turn off ALL MCV notifications and then select the ones I want via Scenes or Device Notifications. (Mostly the latter) … and occasionally as PLEG actions.
If you want some Events to go one place, and other to go some where else, just create a different Vera User.

i.e. Vera User Vera Alerts Profile
Owner Joes Android Mobile
FamilyMember Mary’s Pushbullet on IPhone, Tom’s PushOver on IPhone, Elizabeth’s SMS via Twilio

Then assign Notifications for Devices and Scenes to Owner, or FamilyMember, or Both.

Got it, thanks.
I’m not sure how I missed it, but I finally noticed the help file and it explains a lot. I’ve been in a little bit of a fog today. :confused:

I think I may turn off the MCV notifications and opt for the SMTP feature if I can figure it out. I recently cancelled the data plan on my phone because I was routinely racking up obscene charges for overage fees. When I’m out and have no access to wifi I rely on text messages to receive my notifications. Fortunately, I can send myself a text message by emailing an address tied to my phone number. :slight_smile:

Love your work! I’ll purchase my license next week.

Sorry – one last thing –
I’ve tried setting up the LAN profile with 192.168.1.71 in the Host field, which is the LAN address of my phone, then going into the app settings on the phone and entering 2048 in the port field to match the default in the UI7 plug-in, but even after jumping back to the “Configure Notifications” tab, I’m unable to send a message. Also, I noticed that the “Configure Notifications” tab shows no alerts, though I have 3 set up. Am I overlooking something here?
Thanks.