Setting up Vera 3 using wifi client mode?

I want to set up this thing using wifi since getting to cables and fumbling around behind where the computer is a PITA. It turns on boots then that is it.

The computer doesn’t see the vera3, it doesn’t show on the network anywhere. Now what? Connecting through their website just gives an instant error message about no devices found.

Dave, we get two or three posts like this a month. You’ve provided so little information that it’s impossible to help you.

Did you ever get Vera3 working over a wired connection?

How have you configured the other end of your wireless network (the access point)? Have you configured Vera3 to match? Does the access point see Vera3’s MAC address as a client?

Try to provide as much information as you can.

[quote=“futzle, post:2, topic:172032”]Dave, we get two or three posts like this a month. You’ve provided so little information that it’s impossible to help you.

Did you ever get Vera3 working over a wired connection?

How have you configured the other end of your wireless network (the access point)? Have you configured Vera3 to match? Does the access point see Vera3’s MAC address as a client?

Try to provide as much information as you can.[/quote]
I didn’t use a wired connection. I was trying to use wifi as that is what they said vera 3 could do. Messing with cables is more fumbling around so I didn’t do it. My computer connections aren’t easy to get at.

How do I configure the access point? I have no idea how to do that and there aren’t any instructions anywhere. No the access point (I assume my computer through the router?) doesn’t see anything.

If I didn’t give enough information it is because I don’t know what to give.

Dave,

To begin with, you will need to use wires, at least to configure wireless. Connect the Vera to the router with an Ethernet cable, temporarily, and make sure that works.

Then we can talk about configuring wireless.

“Access point” is whatever you had in your network (before you brought Vera home) that provides the wireless network. It may be a built-in feature of your router.

[quote=“futzle, post:4, topic:172032”]Dave,

To begin with, you will need to use wires, at least to configure wireless. Connect the Vera to the router with an Ethernet cable, temporarily, and make sure that works.

Then we can talk about configuring wireless.

“Access point” is whatever you had in your network (before you brought Vera home) that provides the wireless network. It may be a built-in feature of your router.[/quote]

Ok I tried that. I at least got to the point where the vera was recognized. So I set up as they said by setting “through an access point” then put in the wifi password clicked “pick” or whatever then save and disconnected cable as they said.

Now nothing sees the unit anymore. They claim the computer will see the device but it does not. It is not seen in any network. Now if I turn it on and either leave cable out or try with cable again nothing works and the WAN LED just flashes quickly on the vera in both cases. Yes I tried power cycling the vera, still nothing recognizes it, WAN LED flastes fast. So I supposed something went wrong and it is now not able to connect by any means. I guess this means I need to return it? This thing is getting to be a real pain and time waster already.

Hi Dave,

I’m sorry this is so frustrating for you. There are a couple more things to try.

There are some network troubleshooting instructions at http://docs5.mios.com/doc.php?language=1&manual=1&platform=3Pro&page=network_troubleshooting

Walk your way through them until you hit a snag. Tell us how far you get.

Double-check your Wi-Fi settings such as the spelling of the SSID and the password.

If your Wi-Fi router has an admin interface log into it and see if it can see the Vera as a client. Look for a matching MAC address.

After that, I’m out of ideas. You will need to phone MCV tech support.

I get stuck at the get IP thing.

There is no communication at all anymore to the Vera. The WAN light flickers and that is it. Any attempt by any means to connect with it gives an error. Maybe I switched it to wifi client but the settings are wrong. So now I can’t connect with cable because it is set to wifi, and I can’t connect by wifi because something is set wrong. I can’t check wifi settings because I need to connect to do that, I can’t connect. This thing needs a 3 button combo to factory reset.

I tried to contact MCV and all I get is that damn irritating dump right to voice mail.

Well I guess this was an experiment that didn’t go well. I guess I should return it, it is obvious this thing is only for programmers and computer techs and I must have bricked it just by trying to use it.

Hi Dave,

“the get IP thing” isn’t very specific, so my response will have to be vague. If you really have bricked it, then there would be no flashing WAN LED. You should definitely be able to get to it on one of the LAN ports on the back if the Vera3 (NOT the WAN port). But you have to set your computer temporarily to a matching address first, which is what that page I sent you to us trying to do.

If I recall, Vera3 has a reset button on it. Since you haven’t set anything up, you haven’t got much to lose by trying it.

Sorry I wasn’t able to help you.

I was having the same trouble getting my new vera up on my internal wireless network as well.
finally (several reset later) I noticed that when it scanned for wireless networks, it listed the Encryption method for my network as “NONE”. Seems
it can’t deal with WEP (yes, i know…) encryption. So I changed it to WPA. (now i have to deal with what to do with the legacy device that can’t do WPA)
This may have been the previous poster’s problem as well though I suspect by now he’s returned his device.

[quote=“scbuzz”]it listed the Encryption method for my network as “NONE”. Seems
it can’t deal with WEP (yes, i know…) encryption.[/quote]

Vera’s snarkily trying to tell you that WEP is the same as No Security. :slight_smile:

Thanks for reporting that. I would hope that most folks are on WPA2 at least by now, but that’s not always possible…

Is there a solution? I’m having the same problem. Can’t get to use my wifi. If I hook it up using ethernet everything is fine.

I tried to activate “through a wifi access point” under setup-Net & Wi-fi

It looks like nothing happens if I click on “save and apply”.

It also doesn’t do anything when I click on “scan and connect to a wifi network”