Setting up- account necessary?

is it necessary to have an account at MCV? I would have thought that I could just login to the local IP address while at home and use my static public IP when I am not there…

You can “login” to Vera form your LAN without a MCV account. There is no authentication.

Because there is no authentication, allowing remote access via port forwarding is NOT recommended. In fact, it is stupid!

Having a MCV account is the most convenient way to remotely access your Vera. It is also quite secure and is required by some smartphone apps.

If you must avoid a MCV account and wish to have remote access, the correct way to do it is through a VPN to your LAN.

yeah, you can do what you want to do, but you give up a lot of real benefits, as Z-Waver points out so well.

connecting via the cp.mios.com website is almost as transparent as a VPN connection (which I use frequently for our 2nd home).

Unless you are worried about Edward Snowden, or you are turning off lights at the pentagon, the mios website is pretty secure.

Plus, you will need that account if you want to seek help from Micasaverde…

Thanks guys. I guess I am wondering what the technical need is for a login on their website? Surely password authentication can work on a box like this, given my router seems to handle it just fine?

What else is the benefit for it? I just wonder what happens when this company goes away or has a server problem.

– And what’s with having to answer trivia questions every time I post? Did I miss something?

[quote=“johnes, post:4, topic:179237”]What else is the benefit for it? I just wonder what happens when this company goes away or has a server problem.

– And what’s with having to answer trivia questions every time I post? Did I miss something?[/quote]

If you don’t want mobile apps you always can VPN in or as you mentioned, open the firewall.

Trivia questions? I’m in the dark on that one.

[quote=“johnes, post:4, topic:179237”]I guess I am wondering what the technical need is for a login on their website? Surely password authentication can work on a box like this, given my router seems to handle it just fine?

What else is the benefit for it? I just wonder what happens when this company goes away or has a server problem.

– And what’s with having to answer trivia questions every time I post? Did I miss something?[/quote]
The MCV account provides several (free)benefits, including:

[ul][li]Simple and secure remote access via browser and smartphone apps. (HTTPS <-> MCV | SSH <-> Vera)[/li]
[li]Ability to store and send alerts(SMS and email).[/li]
[li]Automated configuration backups and storage.[/li]
[li]Remote log storage. (only accessible by MCV).[/li]
[li]Direct access for technical support.[/li]
[li]Firmware updates.[/li][/ul]
There is likely more that I cannot remember off the top of my head.

If MCV goes away, then you lose the above features. But, your Vera continues to operate and provide your automation and Z-Wave control. You can still configure Vera via the local IP. You can even setup a VPN and use it for remote access via browser or some smartphone apps. It just won’t be as easy and streamlined as it is with an MCV account.

See, the thing is that from a technical standpoint, you shouldn’t need to link it to MCV to get the following benefits:

[ul][li] Ability to store and send alerts(SMS and email). (My router can do this by using a local SMTP server)
Automated configuration backups and storage (Again, this can be handled by the device)
Firmware updates. (You can tehnically update the firmware without direct access, just like one would update their routers firmware).[/li]
[li][/li][/ul]

It seems that without an MCV account you cannot add plugins, nor can you lock down the device with a username and password. There were a few other things that were not accessible without the account.

It’s really the only negative I’ve had with this product. Since we have no idea what MCV actually has access to (I assume the entire device), there’s no way to know what vulnerabilities that this introduces. Am I going to stop using it? No, but I wish there were a way to decouple it from MCV and have it remain usable.

[quote=“johnes, post:7, topic:179237”]See, the thing is that from a technical standpoint, you shouldn’t need to link it to MCV to get the following benefits:

[ul][li] Ability to store and send alerts(SMS and email). (My router can do this by using a local SMTP server)
Automated configuration backups and storage (Again, this can be handled by the device)
Firmware updates. (You can tehnically update the firmware without direct access, just like one would update their routers firmware).[/li]
[li][/li][/ul]

It seems that without an MCV account you cannot add plugins, nor can you lock down the device with a username and password. There were a few other things that were not accessible without the account.

It’s really the only negative I’ve had with this product. Since we have no idea what MCV actually has access to (I assume the entire device), there’s no way to know what vulnerabilities that this introduces. Am I going to stop using it? No, but I wish there were a way to decouple it from MCV and have it remain usable.[/quote]

If you have a look over the forum, there are a few threads on how to remove ties to MicasaVerde from your Vera.

• Garrett

Yeah, I’m searching now… the search results provide tons of false positives but I’ll get there :slight_smile:

johnes,

You’ll get better results if you use google.

Use this in the search bar:

site:forum.micasaverde.com your search term

• Garrett

[quote=“johnes, post:7, topic:179237”]See, the thing is that from a technical standpoint, you shouldn’t need to link it to MCV to get the following benefits:

[li][/li][/ul]

It’s really the only negative I’ve had with this product. Since we have no idea what MCV actually has access to (I assume the entire device), there’s no way to know what vulnerabilities that this introduces. Am I going to stop using it? No, but I wish there were a way to decouple it from MCV and have it remain usable.[/quote]
Yea right, the average user that picks up a Vera at Best Buy, could setup an SMTP server to send emails and SMS messages. They could setup an FTP server to store their automated backups. They “could” do a lot of things that you and I both know they never could do. Micasaverde provided all of these features and services for free, but you have to log in. Or, if you have the expertise, you can cut off MCV, setup your VPN and do all of this stuff on your own, it’s just not braindead simple, like a MCV account.

As for what MCV has access to; they don’t have easy access to your Vera. For that they need you to enable the remote support feature. But, in a paranoid-computer-security persons theoretical scenario, MCV could leverage the tunnel that Vera creates into full and complete access to Vera and ultimately your LAN. Their level of access is similar to the access that GoToMyPC or LogMeIn has to your PC. The potential is there for open access, but the risk is low and the reward is high.

The difference between all the other products and Vera, is that if you have the expertise, then you have the option of cutting the MCV umbilical cord. All the other products offer no such option.

As for this being the only negative with the product; stay awhile, you’ll find lots of far more annoying negatives to worry about. :wink: