Security system for integration AD2USB OR EVA3/4 for HoneyWell, what's better?

Apologize if redundant post… I am new homeowner and looking to get an alarm system and also some Home Automation. Probably going to grab the VeraPlus, but was trying to figure if it can integrate with the Honeywell security system, I was planning on going with a Vista Panel and wanted to know more specifics on the integration, I saw the links to the AD2USB and EVAS3, but what specific Honeywell alarm systems are compatible and are there specific sensors needed to purchase. Also, what is the better portal for integration? AD2USB or EVAS3? I really do want to have the security tied into the HA by utilizing the sensors or motion units of the security system as triggers. Any recommendations? I’m fairly tech savvy and plan to DIY everything.

Welcome,

I noticed that no one has commented yet so let me point you in the right direction.

Look here for a list of great developers who have integrated (via plugin) an alarm panel into Vera systems.
[url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,20.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,20.0.html[/url]

And here is what I use for my Vista20p. Cybrmage has support for Vista Plus, Enhanced and Turbo series.
[url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,82.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,82.0.html[/url]

As I indicated above, these are integrated into the Vera Systems - I see no reason why the newer products ( Vera Plus/Secure etc. ) would change how the plugins operate. Other options are openHab and openLuup (which I use) which run on a Linux system and utilizes Vera for it’s radio (z-wave) - also known as bridging. Again, we have tremendously talented developers who have invested a lot of personal time into shaping these solutions. I have no doubt you’ll find exactly what you need, if you don’t just reply here or make a new thread in the forum (Ademco, AD2USB, Caddx GE, DSC, ELK etc…) that’s piqued your interest.

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you have any questions…

I’ll jump in to add a bit of info too.

I have a Honeywell Vista 20P (Well, actually it’s the ADT branded version which is similar but not exactly the same). I have been using it with Vera via the AD2USB for years now and I have been extremely happy with it. The AD2USB basically just emulates a keypad on your alarm panel, so it has as much information (knowing the states of zones, arming status, etc) and power (able to to arm, disarm, etc) regarding your alarm system as a typical keypad.

Though I am sure there are many other equally good alarm panels and integrations with Vera, I have been very happy with the AD2USB method because the alarm system and vera still work completely independently of one another. If vera goes down, the alarm is still up, and vice versa. And more importantly, the alarm panel gets to concentrate on being an alarm panel and protecting my home, and vera gets to concentrate on automating things. They are two separate areas of concern that are independent, but can communicate and influence one another. In my opinion, this is the right way to do things.

As far as which sensors to purchase you don’t need anything special. All of your alarm sensors will show up in Vera as Zones. I have both Vista sensors and Z-wave sensors. I use the former where I want the the sensor to be used primarily for the security system to protect the house, and use the latter in places where I primarily am using it to trigger things in vera. You can trigger things in vera based off of alarm based sensors too, however using those sensors on internal doors may require some additional programming in your alarm panel to ensure that they aren’t “armed”, thus making the alarm sound when opening up the door to your basement (for example).

I hope this helps.

These guys have you covered.

Specifically in honeywell terms just stick with a Vista 20P Panel. Any sensor,keypad or what ever that works with the 20p will work with vera. Vera only needs 20p main board and either of the two adapters you mentioned. Siren, Keypads, Sensors wired or wireless all will work with vera from that point on.

The adapter to make the connection from the vista 20p to vera. Biggest difference is how they connect physically from the alarm panel to the vera.

If you alarm panel is not in the same location as where your going to place your vera. Your going to need to physically link the two together, so with the Ad2usb you will run keypad wire (4 conductor wire) from panel to the location of the vera where the ad2usb will be located then a short usb wire from the vera to the ad2usb. If you use the evl-3 or evl-4 adaptor its it connected to your wired network via a cat5e cable. You would have to run a wire from your internet router in your home to the location of the alarm panel. you could also locate the EVL-3/4 next to the router if you choose and use a 4 conductor wire to there. Either way would work but I think more common is to just put the EVL in the alarm panel and run a network cable to the alarm panel. Alot of this just depends on where you Router/VERA/Alarm panel is. Also there is only one usb port on the vera’s (you can add a power splitter tho) so maybe you might choose to not use the AD2USB to keep that usb free?

-Wifi Router should be central to the house for best wifi singal range.
-Vera should be central to the house for best wireless range to all your z-wave devices.
-Alarm Panel (not keypads) should be hidden away in a hard to find secure location where an intruder can’t find (quickly) and damage the alarm panel to stop it from going off. Alarm sirens should be in attic and hard to get to places so they can’t just cut the wire.

If am using the EVL-4 w/ a Honeywell 20P Vista panel, which app should I be installing in the Vera?

Never mind. I found the Ademco plugin.