Security enabled repeaters

Hi,
I have been using VeraLite close to a year. I am very pleased with the product, but have a huge problem with getting secure signals across the home. The unsecured signal gets repeated with very good results. The door locks for example, will not work if I place my VeraLite in the basement (ideally that’s where I wanted it to be).

I know we need to have security enabled modules that are capable of beaming/repeating the single. My questions is what are some modules I can buy that will work with my Schlage door locks? None of my Z-wave switches, dimmers or door openers are security enabled repeaters (at least that’s what I think they are because the signal get to everything in the house except the door locks; unless the VeraLite is on the first floor) .

Will Leviton Vizia RF+ ZWave Plug-in Appliance Module (RZP15-1LW) repeat the secure signal to the door lock? If not, do you guys know any Canadian company who sell anything that will do the job? I have been using http://www.aartech.ca/ which is a good company IMHO.

For starters you could think about perhaps modifying Vera’s antenna, folks have gotten much better results by doing so.

Your issue maybe that once you reposition your Vera, that the lock is out if beaming range (required to wake it), and that maybe you’ll also need to heal so that perhaps a nearby switch can relay a beam or hail to wake it once it sleeps.

[quote=“strangely, post:2, topic:178413”]For starters you could think about perhaps modifying Vera’s antenna, folks have gotten much better results by doing so.

Your issue maybe that once you reposition your Vera, that the lock is out if beaming range (required to wake it), and that maybe you’ll also need to heal so that perhaps a nearby switch can relay a beam or hail to wake it once it sleeps.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I read about opening up the VeraLite box and attaching an antenna in this forum. But I feel that I might break the box by tying to do something like that. If all else failed, I will do that. I hope the next version of the Vera will comes with better antenna and are external.

Just want to say that if anyone knows any plugs, switches or something external that I can use to extend the range, please post what they are… I really don’t want to break my controller by opening it up.

I pretty sure most of the GE Jasco products support beaming. I know the levitons do not.

I am testing aeotec.com range extenders. Check this.

Thanks guys for all your help. My dad decided to pull part the VeraLite and added an antenna outlet. I guess he is brave enough to do it and now I have a great signal coverage. I have no idea why MCV company developers overlooked such a simple issue: internal antennas are NOT good for large houses (specially with large homes in US and Canada).

This is what we did:

1. Took apart the housing
  2. Took the antenna connector wire from an old D-Link Router (took that one apart too)
  3. Drill a hole on the front of the VeraLite
  4. Removed the Vera antenna and added the D-Link UFL To SMA connector inside VeraLite
  5. Put back everything together

The only thing is that the D-Link Antenna is a 2.4 GHz one. Now I need to find an antenna with the VeraLite range. What is the frequency for the VeraLite transmitter? I know it is not 2.4 GHz for sure. According my dad (an engineer) using a 2.4 antenna will cut the signal amplitude of a lower Hz level. Idk if this is true or not. Is that true and if it is what is the frequency VeraLite?

Do a search for external antenna, has been covered a lot.

I did and found some says it is OK to us 2.4 Ghz and others here are using 800 - 900 Mhz depend on which thread you go to. Just wondering if anyone know for sure. I am also doing my best to find this info on Google as well. Thank you for the help. Also found this thread to be useful… http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11276.0.html AND this Z-Wave - Wikipedia

Trying to search FCC to find out exact values.

For those who are looking for teach info, this is what I found:
The antenna on both VeraLite and Vera3 is 908 MHz with a gain of 2.21 dBi

My issues are now resolved. Consider this thread is closed. Thanks everyone.

You really need to read harder. It depends on your country. If you are in the US, it is 908mhz. The threads you point to tell you exactly what you need depending on where you are and provide you links to the antennas people use. Also for security modules, if you search for beaming, you’ll find many posts on what devices are beam capable. Search is your friend.

• Garrett