Schlage LiNK vs Vera2?

What advantages does the Vera2 have over the Schlage LiNK system?

For Starters, its FREE (No monthly subscriptions to pay). I looked at LiNK before decising to buy Vera2. From a pure HA standpoint, either can do most of what you want them to do, so there is no technology discriminator.

LiNK sounds like it may be a bit easier to set-up with other Schlage devices since they own the entire network solution. I have stumbled across a few installation and configuration glitches with Vera2 but have been able to work through them.

Lock PIN Code Scheduling seems to be an open issue with Vera currently in UI4 so that is one area where LiNK has a (+1). this appears to be a working issue on older versions of the UI so it should be resolved at some point.

Since the Schlage Bridge bundles with the Lever Lock or the Dead Bolt for about $50 more than the lock alone, you have a $200 delta on the initial buy-in with Vera2 retailing at $248. That covers >year of service with LiNK.

Watch out for the many standard Z-Wave devices that LiNK doesn’t support. If you can find everything you want to control branded by Schlage, then OK. If you want to mix in non-Schlage devices, no-support will be the issue.

I do not know conclusively but I think that Link will not work with Multi-instance devices (3 in 1, etc.). Maybe someone else can verify.

Schlage does not support such devices. I doubt they will in the future. No sensors.

Everyone you need to know that Schlge link bridge does not think on it’s own. No internet no nothing. So if you set a scene it will only activate upon a message over the internet as it is a bridge. Vera is a stand alone controler.

Here are some questions to consider

Are you looking for a time-consuming hobby?

Are you going to put Vera where you can visit her often?? (Not a rental property 450 miles away)

How valuable is your time?

Will you ever require immediate customer support?

If you are starting from scratch, decide which system you want and be sure to buy the supported devices. Also, keep in mind that MCV can ALTER how much support a device can have. (My schlage lock had scheduling pin codes and that disappeared with the upgrade) Word is they may get to it in the future.

I loved Vera, but feeling HIGHLY betrayed by the Vera2 upgrade.

Good Luck!!

It takes less the 10 Miutes to hook up the Schlage lock and never goes down they also answer the phone.
It’s well woth the $99 a year. Both my Vera’s 1 just went out again today I already order my second and third Link. I had enough!!!

What was the process that you had to go through to switch to LINK? Pairing with VERA is a pain and I am wondering if I would have to unpair and the pair and pray.

[quote=“mgtyquin, post:5, topic:166548”]It takes less the 10 Miutes to hook up the Schlage lock and never goes down they also answer the phone.
It’s well woth the $99 a year. Both my Vera’s 1 just went out again today I already order my second and third Link. I had enough!!![/quote]Not true about Schlage never going down!

The reason they have phone support now is because they only have to support two Zwave modules :wink: and most of the users (apart from seven people) all migrated to MCV after the below post was made :wink:

http://zwaveworld.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=665

Very easy to set up the schlage lock less then 10 minutes. I only have the lock and light modules in my 3 places in Florida and no problems yet.

thanks for the feedback, this is what I’m looking to do:

control my 3 thermostats remotely from my iPhone, as well as have them setup for schedules for cooling times…

control lights in the house by replacing actual light switches… mostly ones that control outdoor lighting… setup timing for this as well…

controlling locks is nice as well, although after further research, it’s bummer that you can’t actually lock the door if you forgot to lock it…

I don’t mind the monthly service, I just want a good solution… I’ve been waiting for ADT Pulse to come to my area since I can then monitor my ADT larm system as well, but they are super slow in rolling out their service…

so for now I’m looking at Z-wave control solutions until ADT comes around, they use Zwave, so my existing items “should” work…

thanks!

[quote=“FikseGTS, post:9, topic:166548”]thanks for the feedback, this is what I’m looking to do:

control my 3 thermostats remotely from my iPhone, as well as have them setup for schedules for cooling times…

control lights in the house by replacing actual light switches… mostly ones that control outdoor lighting… setup timing for this as well…

controlling locks is nice as well, although after further research, it’s bummer that you can’t actually lock the door if you forgot to lock it…[/quote]

Vera will do this very well, probably better. You may have a few more headaches initially, but far more options for the future.

[quote=“FikseGTS, post:9, topic:166548”]thanks for the feedback, this is what I’m looking to do:

controlling locks is nice as well, although after further research, it’s bummer that you can’t actually lock the door if you forgot to lock it…[/quote]

The Schlage door lock can be remotely locked if you forget to lock it. The Vera Lock/Unlock buttons work the same as the Lock/Unlock on the back of the handset (in-house side). In Lock mode, the outside handle is disengaged unless a correct code is entered. In unlock mode, the outside handle is always engaged.

Since the Schlage lock uses a clutch to engage/disengage the outside lever, remote locking is accomplished by toggle of the clutch mechanism.

Since the Schlage lock uses a clutch to engage/disengage the outside lever, remote locking is accomplished by toggle of the clutch mechanism.
[/quote]

Raskell is correct. I have 2 and they work well. There are issues with scheduling codes, but this has apparently been corrected and will be included in the next release. This is for those who need to have a code to activate/expire at a specified time. This is critical for rental property owners.

Another current issue is concerning the mobile mios with my locks. The status does not display as shown in the picture. This too will be fixed.

I am looking at the deadbolt locks… you can’t remotely lock the deadbolt as there it’s not motorized… I just saw that kwickset has motorized deadbolts, so I might go with the vera with one deadbolt, 3 thermostats and some light switches to start…

thanks!

You are correct regarding the dead bolts. I used the Schlage Lever set and have a conventional deadbolt, but this is on the primary residence where we decide when to throw the DB. The latest Quikset is motorized so as long as the door is fully closed, throwing it should be OK.

As for TStats, I have (5) of the Tranes currently and they work great with Vera2 & UI4 for me. I have night time saver themes, away themes, etc… as well as romote access to all of them through HomeBuddy (Android). Works well!

thanks, as for light switches, is this the standard on/off switch to use?

Leviton Vizia RF 15A Scene Capable Non Dimming Switch, 3-way Capable - VRS15-1LX

as for AC control, would be nice if i could tie alarm (away/stay) arming to change the AC temps in the different ac zones in the house…

does vera support motion sensing to set ac temps? no motion for 15 minutes across multiple sensors during daytime hours will raise the AC temps?