Scene's not completing correctly

I have two Aeon 4 in 1 motion sensors located front and rear of my house. I created scene’s that when these sensors see motion they would turn on the appropiate spot lights and after 10 minutes turn them off. These scene’s have been working just fine for months but all of a sudden the turn off after 10 minutes part does not execute most but no all of the time.

Any thoughts…?

Is your Vera restarting frequently?

I don’t think it restarts frequently, maybe once a week or so and I only notice that when I see that the IP has changed.

Your IP can only change when it does hard reboot … Maybe you are having power glitches causing this.

You need to check your log or use any of a number of other tools to see how often your Vera Software restarts.
If it restarts during the delayed cycle of a Scene … the delayed action will never fire.

There are other strategies to solve this:
CountDown plugin or PLEG plugin … both that have timer support that survive a Vera restart.

But since your interval is relatively short … 10:00 minutes … I would first find out if you have a frequent restart problem.
That is often caused by memory limits.

I only have a Veralite so I know memory on that unit is light to begin with BUT currently I only have about 30 hard devices (mostly lamp modules) and only a couple of plugin’s running so I would be surprised if I’m hitting the memory ceiling. That said I just pulled out the USB stick to check the log file and the USB stick was not readable on a Mac or PC. This is the very first time that I have attempted to even read the log file so is there some magic to getting access to the log file(s) on a USB stick…?

[quote=“RichardPHarvey, post:5, topic:189126”]That said I just pulled out the USB stick to check the log file and the USB stick was not readable on a Mac or PC. This is the very first time that I have attempted to even read the log file so is there some magic to getting access to the log file(s) on a USB stick…?[/quote]You shouldn’t pull the USB stick out, unless Vera is powered off. There’s virtually no reason to ever pull it out.

The USB stick is formatted with the EXT3 file system. Windows and Mac cannot read this file system without special drivers.

In order to read the Vera log file, you should either read it on Vera, using command line tools in an ssh session like

[code]more /tmp/log/cmhLuaUPnP.log

zcat /tmp/log/cmh/LuaUPnP.log.1.gz | more[/code]
The less is more useful than more but the less used by BusyBox doesn’t support colored text.

You could also use sftp or scp to transfer the files from Vera to your desktop over the network.
Vera Wiki - Logs

Z-Waver, seriously that’s how you access the log files…? Leave it to MCV to make it that difficult for the average Joe to manage this darn thing. I’m sure the logs are going to help figure this out if I can ever get access to them.

I had something even more strange happen with these scene’s this morning. I let the dog out the front door for his morning piss, as expected the motion tripped and the front spot lights came on, so far so good. I then made note of the time it tripped, 6:22am so @ 6:32am (10 minutes later) the spots should go off. I started watching the system via the Vera web interface, refreshing the screen every now and then. At exactly 6:32am Vera became totally unresponsive, the web interface just hung for about 90 seconds (maybe a reboot), when it finally came back not only were the front spots still on but the rear spots that are on the other motion/scene had also been tripped and were also on. Looked at the scene for the rear spots and it showed it was tripped at 6:33:48am yet there was nothing that really tripped it.

The logs are intended to facilitate technically capable engineer types and maybe users to debug the system. The logs were never intended for average Joes to use and that’s why MCV doesn’t readily present them to the user. If you find the access method difficult, just wait until you see the contents.

I think you’ll be better off contacting technical support and let them figure it out for you.