S-F's Progress

So I mosey on over to Digi-Key and search for terminal block.

Here’s the result:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=terminal+block

here’s the cliff notes for those uninterested in following the link:

Results matching criteria: 103,523

:o

[quote=“S-F, post:61, topic:179989”]So I mosey on over to Digi-Key and search for terminal block.

Here’s the result:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=terminal+block

here’s the cliff notes for those uninterested in following the link:

Results matching criteria: 103,523

:o[/quote]

That’s a lot of terminals. I hope you’ve got a powered screwdriver. ;D

LOL, you might want to try Home Depot, the shipping charges from Digi will kill ya:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-22-10-AWG-8-Circuit-Terminal-Block-GTB-408/202522560

I’d get an 8x block, and either run 2 sets of input wires or “jumper” the inputs on every second terminal.

Should be large enough to fit several wires on the other side of each terminal.

There are better options, but looking a Digi all day will send you blind 8)

Come on the digi-key catalog is almost as good as the old Sears catalog,

+1

When I was a teenager and subsequently a young electrical engineer, getting a new Digi-key catalog was like getting a Playboy mag in the mail ;D

Yeah, I’m a geek.

I’m not following you there. So run power to one or two and then make little jumpers to connect the other six or seven?

The local RadioShack has these for about $2.5 so I’d like to use them.

@Bulldoglowell
Sorry man, If I saw those in a low voltage cabinet, I’d go find my gun! If any of my techs even had those in their toolbox, they would be fired on the spot!

Here is how I use terminal blocks. The right side shows the power wires coming in. Each block is + or -.

You can also just get a block with all terminals joined, so no need to make jumpers. I happen to have these in stock, so I used them.

@Bucko, thank you for that picture. I honestly couldn’t figure out why so many terminals didn’t have the bus bar like this one:

I now realize that using the jumpers is key to using terminal blocks. Seems like more would have the bus bar, but I could only find the uncovered one above.

@Bucko - Maybe if I was in a pinch, but you should be using Blue Sea Systems Terminal Block Jumper for 30A Terminal Blocks instead of the ugly jumpers. You can get blocks with the jumpers already in place, but I can’t find a source on Amazon at the moment.

They aren’t your style, but camera installers like these DSC-TB01, 8 Way Terminal Block Bus Bar,Splits 1 Input to 8 Out

@ bucko,

Good God! Looks nice. I simply don’t have the patience for that kind of thing though.

@Z-Waver,

Wish I’d seen that yesterday before I went and got a regular one from RadioShack. Making and connecting all of those tiny jumpers sucked!

@Z-Waver
" You can get blocks with the jumpers already in place, but I can’t find a source on Amazon at the moment."
That was my problem so I had to make do. However, the next time I’m in Shenzhen blocks are on my short list. Those DSC’s look good. When I find in Shenzhen, they would cost me about $1 each.

Anyway, my current setup is working fine.

For cams I prefer my set up.

What does this mean exactly?

I’m with you bucko, we always use at least an 8 - 16 port camera power supply in a can on our installs. Nice an clean.

@Bucko - Yours are cameras done right! Though I figured you for a PoE IP cam guy.

@ S-F
That is Shenzhen China where 90% of all electronics are manufactured. (I live in China).

@ jimpapa
Yep, the best way to go I think. Also makes rebooting cams a breeze as well. In fact I use two of these cans and power relays, screamers, sirens, pir’s and what have you. These cans cost me about $15 here.

@ z-waver
TU. LOL about the Poe. I originally thought about using them, but I’m actually old school. Plus I found that Poe switchers run too hot for my likening. Ain’t no big thing to run 18/2 anyways. Plus you get lots of cool lights. haha

I’m not following you there. So run power to one or two and then make little jumpers to connect the other six or seven?

The local RadioShack has these for about $2.5 so I’d like to use them.[/quote]

Sorry for the delay, my in-laws arrived on Tuesday so been flat out. Looks like you’ve worked out what I meant, and others have presented alternatives in the meantime… I like the shielded variant.

The alternative for me was a vendor specific option, which is really pretty but very pricey:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paradox-Security-Systems-JCB8-Bus-Terminal-Splitter-Din-Rail-Input-Junction-Box-/351042789898?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bbc7e20a

Some of the blocks have “comb like” jumpers, but figured that was overkill and hard to source locally.

I wired up a jumper mockup this morning before I read the thread. Use of twisty ties for amusement only 8)

Can anyone tell me how alarm wire crimps work? Are they regular butt connectors?

Alarm wire crimps? Not sure what you are asking here. But if it refers to connecting wire to the sensors, beanies are a good way to go.

I’m talking about these things:

Beanies?

https://www.google.com/search?q=beanie&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=oTRIU9K9MvHLsASFwYKYBg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=845

Those are called beanies.

Slide your wires inside, and crush with parrallel jaw pliers. Tiny spikes inside will pierce the wire to make a connection.

But don’t buy the ones you showed. Be sure to buy gel filled beanies.