Roomba Control via Vera

[quote=“Aegis, post:40, topic:168380”][quote=“strangely, post:38, topic:168380”][quote=“Aegis, post:37, topic:168380”]I can’t find the video, but I have seen a YouTube vid where a guy interfaces a Roomba with a small Zwave microcontroller hard wired right into it.[/quote]No need for Zwave since the this plugin uses a WiFi controller that somebody already manufactured.
http://www.roomba-wifi-remote.com/[/quote]

It seems to me if you want a scene where your Roomba starts after you leave your house, i.e. triggering off a door locking and no one is there and PCs are off then, you want Zwave. I thought the Roomba hack was so cool because you can do just that and don’t have to listen to it.[/quote]

Still no need for z-wave that is what the plugin that is being discussed that works with the wifi model does. It allows you to integrate the features that the wifi module exposes into Vera. Z-wave is not needed.

• Garrett

[quote=“garrettwp, post:41, topic:168380”][quote=“Aegis, post:40, topic:168380”][quote=“strangely, post:38, topic:168380”][quote=“Aegis, post:37, topic:168380”]I can’t find the video, but I have seen a YouTube vid where a guy interfaces a Roomba with a small Zwave microcontroller hard wired right into it.[/quote]No need for Zwave since the this plugin uses a WiFi controller that somebody already manufactured.
http://www.roomba-wifi-remote.com/[/quote]

It seems to me if you want a scene where your Roomba starts after you leave your house, i.e. triggering off a door locking and no one is there and PCs are off then, you want Zwave. I thought the Roomba hack was so cool because you can do just that and don’t have to listen to it.[/quote]

Still no need for z-wave that is what the plugin that is being discussed that works with the wifi model does. It allows you to integrate the features that the wifi module exposes into Vera. Z-wave is not needed.

• Garrett[/quote]

Gotcha…and after studying what is presented here, it is a slicker solution than the one I was referring to. Is the plugin only available via manual upload at this time? I didn’t see it in the Apps dashboard.

Just drilled the hole to expose the SCI port. You guys rule. Oh yeah, and my Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007s just arrived…

You have to load it manually still at the moment. Not sure what the developers plans are for it.

As for the serial port, you normal only have to remove the clip on trim cover on the top. I’ve been meaning to either drill mine (like yours (nice job by the way)) or cut out a bigger section the size of the module… with the view to try and lower it at much as possible. I Would likely also need to modify the connector on he module too, since it has a spacer there.

[quote=“strangely, post:44, topic:168380”]You have to load it manually still at the moment. Not sure what the developers plans are for it.

As for the serial port, you normal only have to remove the clip on trim cover on the top. I’ve been meaning to either drill mine (like yours (nice job by the way)) or cut out a bigger section the size of the module… with the view to try and lower it at much as possible. I Would likely also need to modify the connector on he module too, since it has a spacer there.[/quote]

Thanks. Yes, was thinking to drill hole for now, but may very well cutout footprint for entire module if plug isn’t long enough to secure tightly in the port. It’s very difficult to find any images of the din connection of the Roowifi board. There may also be enough travel in the Roomba faceplate to jam the module underneath it and snap the cover on top of it…

I attached some pics for you from mine.

As you can see, it’s far from flush and it can be be lowered by about 3/16th of an inch if the spacer is removed.

Just tried to pry it off in mine, and its pretty solid; might need take the dremel to it :slight_smile:

[quote=“strangely, post:46, topic:168380”]I attached some pics for you from mine.

As you can see, it’s far from flush and it can be be lowered by about 3/16th of an inch if the spacer is removed.

Just tried to pry it off in mine, and its pretty solid; might need take the dremel to it :)[/quote]

Thanks for the pics. Is the spacer there so it can fit above the OEM faceplate? Assume your goal is to just make it more flush?