Roomba Control via Vera

I am on the waiting list and intend on buying one as long as shipping is not too ridiculous.

Has anyone else contacted the vendor?

Yes - this is the response:

Dear Alan,

Some pleople of UK are insterested in our module and we are looking for a distributor. I can’t tell you a detailed shipping price now but if you are interested tell us using this email address and we will notice you when we have this information. If you do a pre-order now (without any payment only an email expressing your desire to buy the module) the price of the module are not the normal price (67.5?) we offer in pre-order for 50?. Nowadays we are in production process and we will able to have modules in stock at January 10th.

If you have any question or if you want to do the pre-order contact with me without any inconvenience, we will respond you as soon as possible.

Best regards and happy Christmas!

Xavier Mart? Carn?
Roomba Wi-fi Remote

Hello everybody,

I’m Xavi, the multi-purpose engineer designer, programer of this module and the apps that we want to upload to our website as examples. We stay in contact with chuck1026 and he has one of our embeddeds and today he has connection estalished between the Vera Gateway and the Wi-Fi Remote for Roomba.

Hi racarter, we finally signed a contract with UPS to the shipping to USA, Europe and have prices ofr the rest of the world. One person of UK received the module and nowadays is trying and using it, also this costumer is very satisfied with the purchase.
We will send an email to you next week to give you all shipping information, etc to send to you a module. If you want we could talk using private messages. A lot of people is waitting because we are surprised and so busy for the number of information requests that we have.
strangely if you tell me your mail, I will search it in my inbox and the same, if you want the next week I could send a your module.

Last, we are so glad and happy for the understanding of the delays. I don’t want to put here a lot of information or something, if any wants to know more information or have any question please don’t have any inconvenience to send me a message.

Excuses for my english, I’m improving it.

Regards :slight_smile:

Nice to see this coming together; might encourage me to get my Roomba up on the workbench and get it working again.

I was about to replace it with an LG model, as Roomba still hasn’t addressed two of the main shortcomings even in their latest models:

• ball bearings for the brushes. 2x $5 items that ensure no more cat hairs enter the gearbox
  • no LiPo battery… and the NiMHs they use are of decidedly poor quality.

[quote=“xmcarne, post:24, topic:168380”]Hello everybody,

I’m Xavi, the multi-purpose engineer designer, programer of this module and the apps that we want to upload to our website as examples. We stay in contact with chuck1026 and he has one of our embeddeds and today he has connection estalished between the Vera Gateway and the Wi-Fi Remote for Roomba.

Hi racarter, we finally signed a contract with UPS to the shipping to USA, Europe and have prices ofr the rest of the world. One person of UK received the module and nowadays is trying and using it, also this costumer is very satisfied with the purchase.
We will send an email to you next week to give you all shipping information, etc to send to you a module. If you want we could talk using private messages. A lot of people is waitting because we are surprised and so busy for the number of information requests that we have.
strangely if you tell me your mail, I will search it in my inbox and the same, if you want the next week I could send a your module.

Last, we are so glad and happy for the understanding of the delays. I don’t want to put here a lot of information or something, if any wants to know more information or have any question please don’t have any inconvenience to send me a message.

Excuses for my english, I’m improving it.

Regards :)[/quote]

Xavi,

I am now connected through my main wifi router instead of Vera and it’s working great! I wish I wasn’t lacking in plug-in design skills. I really want to learn and I feel a bit overwhelmed.

Strangely,

Sounds like Xavi is sending you a module as well?

Chuck

Hello Xavi,

When I email your company about sending to Australia the cost wasn’t available but as a second follow up question, how does this compare to the 790 and its remote function?

[quote=“Brientim, post:27, topic:168380”]Hello Xavi,

When I email your company about sending to Australia the cost wasn’t available but as a second follow up question, how does this compare to the 790 and its remote function?[/quote]

I have a 790 and Xavi’s web interface only lacks the clock on the remote.

Hello Chuck,

Thanks for the info and of course the benefits are multiple then. Then the only one thing needed would be an camera to see where you are driving it too…

Hello Brientim,

Excuses, I’m very busy. The module enables you to do something more than the factory remote control. We think in the programmers and permits to develop a software to control the Roomba as you want. By default the module and its web server permits you to do the same things that the iRobot remote but with some information like (real-time info) the status of the carge, the temperature and the battery charge level.

Here with the first version (one year ago) that I designed one boy of a University mades a software that draws the roomba movements and enables you to draw a map of your flat or house and it’s very usefull for architects to have the dimensions of the flat, etc. And if you are an iOs developer or something other system you can manage the roomba from it.

Apart of it, we have an online app website (beta version - we are testing) that will enables you to schedule tasks and cleannings from everywhere with internet access and have the information of charge and temperature of the robot too using the home wifi connection.

We are in contact with Chuck to improve it as well and watching for any bug if it exists.

I sent an email to my partner Francesc to have the shipment price to your country with UPS and I will send you by mail this as a priority. And excuses another time, we are so busy and trying to serve all information and modules as we can.

And Chuck don’t feel overwhelmed, I told you, step by step and enjoying with the learning and programing :slight_smile:
Regards.

[quote=“xmcarne, post:30, topic:168380”]… Chuck don’t feel overwhelmed, I told you, step by step and enjoying with the learning and programming :slight_smile:
Regards.[/quote]

Thanks Xavi!

I am making progress! Thank you for the encouragement :slight_smile: !

Hi All,

Just ordered one today - very excited - @Chuck is doing a great job and i am enjoying following his developments.

[quote=“strangely, post:20, topic:168380”]My only worry would be if the extra height it adds would cause it to get stuck somewhere. As it is mine currently only just clears my AV cabinet marginally, and also my kitchen cabinets.

Seems pretty reasonable. I might just get one for the cool factor alone at that price! :)[/quote]

I forgot to comment on the height… I will measure the height above the Roomba deck. My guess is approx 3/8"… I was concerned as well. A quick stop at Home Depot yielded some small square clear adhesive feet that came in a 9 pack. I forget the size but they are 5/8" High or so…

Good day,

Some family has asked me if any of these robotic vacuums can be integrated. This thread seems promising but a bit dated. What state if any is this in? I gather I need this roomba WiFi module. Is the software available for vera in any real way?

Thanks and happy automating!

^^^
Good question, I’ve just purchased a Pursonic i7 Pro robotic vacuum cleaner and remembered that there was a Roomba thread.
Love to read any updates, especially any news on the i7.

[quote=“Pestus, post:34, topic:168380”]Good day,

Some family has asked me if any of these robotic vacuums can be integrated. This thread seems promising but a bit dated. What state if any is this in? I gather I need this roomba WiFi module. Is the software available for vera in any real way?

Thanks and happy automating![/quote]There is a basic plugin, and it can also be controlled via luup in a scene.

See the below thread for futher details:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,17560.0.html

I can’t find the video, but I have seen a YouTube vid where a guy interfaces a Roomba with a small Zwave microcontroller hard wired right into it.

[quote=“Aegis, post:37, topic:168380”]I can’t find the video, but I have seen a YouTube vid where a guy interfaces a Roomba with a small Zwave microcontroller hard wired right into it.[/quote]No need for Zwave since the this plugin uses a WiFi controller that somebody already manufactured.
http://www.roomba-wifi-remote.com/

Thanks again Strangely :slight_smile:

[quote=“strangely, post:38, topic:168380”][quote=“Aegis, post:37, topic:168380”]I can’t find the video, but I have seen a YouTube vid where a guy interfaces a Roomba with a small Zwave microcontroller hard wired right into it.[/quote]No need for Zwave since the this plugin uses a WiFi controller that somebody already manufactured.
http://www.roomba-wifi-remote.com/[/quote]

It seems to me if you want a scene where your Roomba starts after you leave your house, i.e. triggering off a door locking and no one is there and PCs are off then, you want Zwave. I thought the Roomba hack was so cool because you can do just that and don’t have to listen to it.