RFXtrx with lightwaverf speed

[ul][list][list][list]Hi all,

First post and sorry if its already been asked, searched but couldn’t find anything.

Been playing with the vera and RFXtrx for a while and really liking it. Just done a bathroom refurb and fitted:

Lightwave RF Mood Lighting Controller
Aeotec MultiSensor 6
LightwaveRF Dimmer (4 Gang)
Fibaro Universal Dimmer 2
Fibaro Double Switch 2 Gen5 (For bathroom fan & speaker amp)

Basically mood controller triggers scenes that sends commands to LightwaveRF Dimmer (4 Gang), Fibaro Universal Dimmer 2 & Fibaro Double Switch 2 Gen5 with Aeotec MultiSensor 6 to try and automate some of it.

My issue is the response time from sending a scene to the Lightwave 4 gang dimmer. It take quite a while and there is a long pause between each gang of the switch changing state. I want to try using the multi sensor to trigger a scene when it detects a person entering the room but with the current time it takes for the lights to come on it would be pointless.

It’s a bit quicker when sending the scene command from the vera app rather than the Mood controller and as the RFXtrx is downstairs in the living room whilst the mood controller and 4 way dimmer is upstairs in the bathroom I suspect part of my problem is distance. That said I have a 2 way Lightwave dimmer in the same room as the RFXtrx and there is a noticeable pause as well just not as long.

I will have to experiment regarding the distance but wondered if any of you have any advice/experience regarding this such as some settings that might help speed things up or things to try. I’d also appreciate knowing if this response time is just inherent with the Lightwave stuff as if so it will affect me purchasing more in the future.

On a related side note when in the Vera app and changing the state of a dimmer under the device tab does anyone else experience the green “beach ball” straight after making the change? It seem to hang around for a long time and I wonder if there anything I can do about it?

Sorry for the ramble and thanks for all the help the forum has already given me. :D[/list][/list][/list][/ul]

If you start scenes using a 433 transmitter it creates a delay.
See this link for the explanation of an identical problem Don't use AC door/window sensors - Home Automation Domotica Forum Europe, Bwired Forum

Ahh thats annoying, should have done more research before hand. Think I get it, guessing its not bi-directional so needs to tx then rx. Either way back to the drawing board.

Thinking I might be able to link the 4 buttons on the bottom of the mood controller and 4 gang directly as per LighwaveRF instructions. I could then have the vera also receive the 4 lower mood controller buttons to trigger the Fibaro Universal Dimmer 2. Finally I could use the top 2 buttons on the mood controller to control the bathroom fan by the Fibaro Double Switch 2. I think this might work unless Im missing something?

Sure this has been asked a load before but is there a similar product to the mood controller that works with wave as this would solve a lot of my issues? Last time I looked the most I could find had 4 buttons, was the wrong colour (no brushed metal finishes) and was really expensive.

I get around this by doing as you suggest. Set as much as possible up direct Lightwave->Lightwave. Then mirror this and anything Lightwave can’t do (e.g. logic) on Vera.

This minimises the perception of lag. For example I have a landing light with a Lightwave motion detector and dimmer. The Motion detector sends an “on” to turn the dimmer back on at whatever brightness it was last set to. I set the “off” on the motion detector to 1m (it is set to 45s on Vera using PLEG, so one way or another it gets turned off).

I want it on high most of the time, but low from 7pm when the kids go to bed and very low at night so that people can get to the bathroom.

The first time it is triggered after a change in the brightness schedule, the motion detector turns the light on at the old brightness, and then the Vera follows up with the correct brightness, so it flashes on high, then dims. However the next time the detector just turns it on, so it comes on correctly, quickly because only Lightwave is involved.

Most of the time, this isn’t particularly obvious, but there are glitches like that. If you think it through, it can be made to work.

Of course when Vera (frequently) isn’t working, you get unexpected results, but that is a separate issue. In many situations the lag is not an issue.