Response time issue with Trane thermostats

I’ve been experiencing this issue for as long as I’ve been using HomeWave, but it’s only recently started to really annoy me… probably because everything else with the app is working so well.

We’ve always had some issues with the Trane thermostats, as I documented in these posts:
Controlling HVAC
A few issues with HomeWave 1.4 - bugs or feature requests?

So, the trouble I’m having now is that when switching between Energy/Normal, or between Fan On/Auto, or between Mode: Off/Cool/Heat/Auto, the confirmation is delayed. Changing temperature setpoints works great–the control is greyed out for about a second, maybe a little less, and then the control reflects the new setpoint.

I just timed it. I’m operating remotedly (so, not on wifi) and I switched one thermostat fan operating mode from “On” to “Auto.” It took 49 seconds for the control to reflect the new operating state. Now, when I switched it to “On” late last night, the thermostat physically responded quite quickly (again, off wifi… phone is unhealthy), but the confirmation didn’t come back for nearly a minute.

I just timed a temperature setpoint change, using the slider control type. Just under 4 seconds to confirm the new setpoint.

Need logs? Let me know how to help resolve this, thanks.

I have this issue with one of my remotec thermostats and homewave. The issue may not be with the physical device, but a combination of vera being busy, the quality of the network, and iOS limiting homewave interactivity. Surprisingly I’ve notice that not all thermostat values are updated in Homewave with each polling.
I’ve found that homewave does not update as quickly as the standard vera web interface, even when both are on wifi.
You should be able to see in the log what Vera is doing during the long wait. Perhaps the thermostat state is change fairly quickly, and the long wait is for the confirmation.

That’s what I’m trying to indicate here:

My question is… why the difference in wait times between the temperature setpoint and the modes? If it were sporadic, or dependent on the order in which the commands are sent, I’d say it might be a Vera communication or queue problem, but it is always these commands, only these commands, and unaffected by what else is going on.

Setpoints are not reported the same way as the other mode changes. This difference can be seen in both homewave and the standard vera UI. Setpoints initially show the user inputted change. The setpoint value is later updated to reflect the actual thermostat setting. Say I rapidly change a setpoint from 60 to 72. Homewave may show 72, but then change to 68, as the thermostat only heard 8 of the upticks. Setpoints are different because you don’t enter the value, but do increment/decrement.

My next step is the antenna hack.

I don’t think this is the case–which is why I mention that I’m using the slider. I dragged from 70 to 74. I believe that HomeWave sets the setpoint, and does not increment to it… but I’d like to hear what intveltr has to say about it.

?

Google “antenna” on this forum for the long thread.

I still think the setpoint value does not having a pending state as the other switches do. But intveltr will tell us. My setpoints sometimes revert to zero on both homewave and UI5. Don’t know why.

I’ve already done the antenna mod… is that what you mean? I just don’t know what that has to do with this thread.

I’ve already done the antenna mod… is that what you mean? I just don’t know what that has to do with this thread.[/quote]

Yea I too don’t see where this is going. Can you clarify? It’s not a signal issue.

I have two identical thermostats. The one far from vera has sporadic updating of some fields, and is slower to control. Before sending the far thermostat in under warranty, I switched the units. Clearly I have signal issues. These issues do not seem to necessarily manifest as simple problems with thermostats. These issues seem more pronounced using homewave, presumably because of the longer communication/processing chain.

zwave/vera is designed to get the message to the device reliably. But we want it to perform like more like a real time system. If deltanu would look at the log while he controls the device he would get an idea of what portion of the system is the problem.

[quote=“dzmiller, post:9, topic:181128”]I have two identical thermostats. The one far from vera has sporadic updating of some fields, and is slower to control. Before sending the far thermostat in under warranty, I switched the units. Clearly I have signal issues. These issues do not seem to necessarily manifest as simple problems with thermostats. These issues seem more pronounced using homewave, presumably because of the longer communication/processing chain.

zwave/vera is designed to get the message to the device reliably. But we want it to perform like more like a real time system. If deltanu would look at the log while he controls the device he would get an idea of what portion of the system is the problem.[/quote]

Thanks,

I have 7 total Trane Thermostat’s (tzemt500bb32) 4 in one house (single A/C Zoned) and 3 in another (3 separate units). Ranging from 5ft away to probley 100ft or more in the detached garage/workshop of the Arizona House. With a built mesh network, mine seem to all work the same.

I guess for DeltaNu it could be an issue if it was only one of his thermostat’s or if both were located far from the controller. But since hes already done the antenna mod (which I haven’t and might do it now just because) I guess more testing is in order.

I did the antenna mod to reach sensors in the garage without a hop. It works great. But I don’t think it’s applicable to my issue, as I’ve described it, so maybe we can shift the antenna talk to an antenna thread.

Here’s what I do with homewave. Sometimes the current temp numbers in green don’t update with the other information. I have no idea why. It seems to me that a thermostat update would include all fields for that device.

Using slider or ring controls HomeWave does indeed send only one setpoint as opposed to stepping to it. As for the delayed mode status update, I’ll have a look. In principle it should display instantly whatever value Vera reports. There may be a discrepancy between the Vera UI display and values reported over the net.

Can you try changing thermostat mode on the Vera UI, then get and parse the status update through port 3480?

I like your look on the thermostat with the round circle plus the up and down triangles. Can you send a screen shot of the those settings to mimic that look. Thanks,

That’s what I’d assumed.

I set thermostat device # 85 to Energy Mode through the Vera UI… and then I used HomeWave to turn it back to Normal Mode:

Time Item 35:01.0 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 85 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1 variable: CurrentTemperature was: 74 now: 73 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xa0d480/NONE duplicate:0 <0x803> 35:01.9 ZWaveNode::HandlePollUpdate_Basic_Set node 16 device 85 unhandled <0x803> 35:15.3 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest device: 85 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_UserOperatingMode1 action: SetEnergyModeTarget <0x1741e> 35:15.3 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest argument DeviceNum=85 <0x1741e> 35:15.8 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 85 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_UserOperatingMode1 variable: EnergyModeTarget was: Normal now: EnergySavingsMode #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0x9f89f0/NONE duplicate:0 <0x1741e> 35:16.0 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 85 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_UserOperatingMode1 variable: EnergyModeStatus was: Normal now: EnergySavingsMode #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xa02fd8/NONE duplicate:0 <0x803> 35:18.8 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 85 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Heat variable: CurrentSetpoint was: 67 now: 65 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xa111b0/NONE duplicate:0 <0x803> 35:19.1 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 85 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Cool variable: CurrentSetpoint was: 73 now: 77 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xa14e20/NONE duplicate:0 <0x803> 36:46.1 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest device: 85 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_UserOperatingMode1 action: SetEnergyModeTarget <0x17c20> 36:46.1 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::HandleActionRequest argument DeviceNum=85 <0x17c20> 36:46.1 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 85 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_UserOperatingMode1 variable: EnergyModeTarget was: EnergySavingsMode now: Normal #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0x9f89f0/NONE duplicate:0 <0x17c20> 36:46.3 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 85 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_UserOperatingMode1 variable: EnergyModeStatus was: EnergySavingsMode now: Normal #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xa02fd8/NONE duplicate:0 <0x803> 36:49.3 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 85 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Heat variable: CurrentSetpoint was: 65 now: 67 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xa111b0/NONE duplicate:0 <0x803> 36:49.8 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 85 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Cool variable: CurrentSetpoint was: 77 now: 73 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xa14e20/NONE duplicate:0 <0x803> 36:59.3 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 85 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1 variable: CurrentTemperature was: 73 now: 73 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xa0d480/NONE duplicate:1 <0x803> 37:03.0 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 85 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1 variable: CurrentTemperature was: 73 now: 74 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xa0d480/NONE duplicate:0 <0x803> 37:05.8 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 85 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_FanOperatingMode1 variable: Mode was: Auto now: Auto #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0x9dc448/NONE duplicate:1 <0x803>
I only included rows containing the device number.

“Draw Ring” and “Buttons.”

Choose ‘Button’ then go down and make sure 'draw ring" is turned on. intveltr did a great job with these controls. If you have room, this control looks good larger, taking up the top half of the screen.

Choose ‘Button’ then go down and make sure 'draw ring" is turned on. intveltr did a great job with these controls. If you have room, this control looks good larger, taking up the top half of the screen.[/quote]

I have 4 thermostat’s in one house and 3 in another. Space is tight, I don’t need fan control but I do need the rest.