Remotec ZFM-80 for fireplace

I have a gas fireplace with a switch hooked up to the millivolt gas control (seems like magic). I want to be able to control it over z-wave. Seems like replacing the switch with a ZFM-80 is the most straight-forward option (still have to fish a 120v wire to the outlet). Anyone done this?

Thanks,
Roy

I haven’t done it myself, but I’m considering using a ZFM-80 for the same purpose.

If you’re already going to run power to the box that contains the switch, you may be better off using a HomePro ZRW113W, which is a standard Decora-sized switch. Apparently the ZFM-80 is not the right shape for a Decora wallplate. Plus, it’s a nice, normal-looking switch, compared to the ZFM-80’s pushbutton.

Personally, I can’t be arsed to run power up to the switch, so I’m just planning on using a ZFM-80 near the gas control, which is under the fireplace. The nice thing about the ZFM-80 is that you can connect an external switch, which means that all I’d really have to do is install the ZFM-80 between the switch and the gas control.

Unless I am missing something the ZRW113W is a standard relay switch, so it would pass 120v through. That would be BAD. The ZFM-80 is a dry contact relay, so it just closes the circuit and doesn’t pass power through (which is what the current switch does).

If it isn’t a decora wallplate, then what cover are people using?

Thanks,
Roy

According to the instruction manual for the ZRW-113, it is an isolated-contact switch. See here: http://smarthome-products.com/productspecs/ZRW113-S200.pdf

There’s a post on the Homeseer forum where somebody modified a standard Decora wallplate with a Dremel to make it fit the ZFM-80. He also had to re-jigger the mounting brackets on the ZFM-80 so that it fit flush with the wallplate. The post is here: Need a Zwave switch to control 12v circuit - HomeSeer Message Board

Wow, didn’t even know there was another isolated switch. Thanks, will get that one (looks much better).

Roy

Well I spoke too fast… I can’t find the ZRW113W for sale anywhere. Looks discontinued… anyone know where to get one? Is the ZFM-80 the only other isolated z-wave relay switch?

Thanks,
Roy

Ooh, sorry, I thought smarthome-products.com actually sold that item… I didn’t notice the lack of an Add to Cart button. Doesn’t look like anyone else has it either.

It looks like the ZFM-80 is your best bet. You can probably save yourself some time and effort by locating the ZFM-80 near the gas control. That way you can connect your existing switch to the switch inputs on the ZFM-80, and then connect the contacts on the ZFM-80 to the gas control.

Good news. It looks like Homeseer is selling the ZRW-113, if you’re still in the market for one: http://store.homeseer.com/store/x-P491C43.aspx

THANKS!