Remote Control - Receiver similar to Sonos

I’m a VeraPlus owner, not sure if I really need Vera integration with what I’m asking, but thought you all may have some solutions.
SETUP:I’m wiring up my living/dining/kitchen and putting a receiver/cable box hidden in basement. I’m also adding speakers (2) outside all hardwired back to receiver.

GOAL: to be able to control the volume, speakers, channel, also connect to pandora and other internet audio sources via remote (either App or actual remote control). I would specifically like to do this when I’m outside and not have to point at an IR repeater.

My brother has sonos and it’s very intuitive and user friendly, but also expensive.

Any thoughts from past or current experience?

THANKS!

Look into a Chromecast.

Interesting, so basically plug it into the AUX in my receiver, the “chromecast” works off wifi and then I can control it from anywhere. BUT I won’t be able to power on and control receiver volume or receiver functions, it would control the phone/chromecast volume

Its doable depending your receiver brand / features and control method. If there is no supported plugin already for it, then you would also need something like a harmony remote or something else to control it over IR.

Personally I would either go all SONOS Cost; 200$ a room minimum. Nothing beats is compatibility and ease of use. Plus you can move them where you need them. They may seem like a lot but you can start small and add on as you need to with no need to run wires.
http://www.007systems.com/sonos-audio-distribution.html

if money is an issue, get a harmony hub remote to control all of the features of the A/V Receiver Cost; <100$
get smaller amps with Chromecasts to power the speakers and plug the amp(s) into appliance modules you can control with Vera to keep them from being on 24/7 Cost; varies wildly. Chromecasts are 35$ each.