RC4551 - mounting location help

Hey,

I purchased a few Sercomm RC4551 IP cameras and just yesterday I installed my first one. I went around my shed and found the best spot to mount it based on what I could see and I did, I mounted it in the center of shed about 6" down from ceiling on the wall. The camera has a 180 degree viewing angle and can see 95% of the inside of my structure. The problem I pose now is that during night it switches over to the night mode and being it is so close to the ceiling the IR light illuminates the ceiling and nothing else - see picture below. I was just curious if anyone has used this type of camera and how they have mounted it, how far from the ceiling? My fear is that I may have to mount it 5 feet off the ground (I have 10ft side walls) and it would be to accessible.

Typically, panoramic (fish eye) cameras are not wall mounted, but are ceiling mounted in the center of the desired field of view.

I agree—when in IR mode, any bright reflective object can “blow out” the image. If you can’t mount it as suggested, then try angling it down to reduce the amount of ceiling in the field of view.

I tried mounting it on the ceiling and it gives me a real weird picture - it has a 180 degree viewing angle not a 360. I will try to put some shims behind it to tilt it down.

If you can turn the camera’s IR LEDs off, an external IR illuminator might work. You can adjust the beam to avoid the ceiling and only light the garage itself.