RaspberryPi + Android = PiVeraProject

Vera has been my home automation hub of choice for years now, and my Z-Wave network has been rock solid. Especially with the Virtual Switches plugin, my scenes are pretty complicated and I love it.

But I have never been pleased with Vera’s interface. I feel like the app has always been buggy, and while the mobile web-interface actually has a few more features (and less headaches) than the app, it lacked the granularity of permissions I needed for my household. I also have dozens of Tasker tasks on my Android phone, and I really wanted my phone to automatically trigger events around my home.

I created PiVeraProject: an open-source interface that uses a RaspberryPi to control almost all the Z-Wave devices of the Vera. I also wrote a super light-weight Android app used to send commands to the RaspberryPi.

www.PiVeraProject.org

Solutions provided by PiVeraProject:
- Activate scenes as if they were switches.
- Use a switch to toggle between scenes [where on/off translates to “run scene1”/“run scene2”].
- Create custom permissions for EACH user in your household. Every switch can be enabled on a per-user basis!
- Fingerprint authentication (from the mobile app) can be required for ANY switch or scene.
- Create Tasker ?shortcuts?, to initiate Vera scenes with a single tap.

Not only is it open-source, so you can contribute… I’m also invested in keeping this updated since I use it every day.

Try it out, let me know what you like or what you’d like to see improved.

Warning: it involves a little bit comfort with the command line, but the instructions will guide you.

1 Like

I’ll have to check this out… I have a Pi 3+ sitting around doing nothing.

Interesting, but one question, it works with scenes but does it work with PLEG?
That always becomes the deal breaker for me.

Best Home Automation shopping experience. Shop at getvera!

© 2021 Ezlo Innovation, All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Forum Rules