Raspberry Pi3 / Pine64

Hey guys…

I have a big z-wave network at home, 95% of the entire home is now using z-wave switches/dimmer/wall plug and i’m in the process to receive my VeraPlus tomorrow to replace my VeraEdge…

BUT, I have a bunch of pine64 and rpi3 too. Am I crazy to think that I can use one of them to offload all the Lua scripting I made in the VeraEdge and use the VeraPlus only for Z-wave networking and use the rpi3/pine64 to offload some of the job ?

Anyone here is using a rpi3/pine64 to offload any workload ?

Not going to get into it much because you can easily find the thread, but research running OpenHab as the controller on the Pi or Pine and using the MiCasaVerde binding to have Vera perform the Z Wave functions.

openluup

Definitely: openLuup: README

[b]openLuup[/b] is an environment which supports the running of some MiOS (Vera) plugins on generic Unix systems (or, indeed, Windows systems.) Processors such as Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone Black are ideal for running this environment, although it can also run on Apple Mac, Microsoft Windows PCs, anything, in fact, which can run Lua code (most things can - even an Arduino Yun board.) The intention is to offload processing (cpu and memory use) from a running Vera to a remote machine to increase system reliability.

I already read about OpenLUup… My thread it’s more to have some real life exemple… some idea…

I already read about OpenLUup… My thread it’s more to have some real life exemple… some idea…[/quote]

the openluup section has all the information you would need based on your request.

@mvader: Are you using it?

I have it setup / working ,but am not actively using it… I ended up buying a vera plus.
so far that is working fine for me and i’m not having any issues.
If i start to down the road, i will offload to my openluup instance.

I already read about OpenLUup… My thread it’s more to have some real life exemple… some idea…[/quote]

I mentioned OpenHab, different animal than OpenLoop. It works very well and creates a more stable system when you offload logic from Vera. Checkout the OpenHab thread and/or community if you want more. I will say, it is NOT newbie friendly. OpenHab 1.0 is an intensive process to set up (but works great when done) and 2.0 isn’t ready for mass release yet (though almost fully functional).

Just give a try to openluup and looks nice. You can see all the devices/scenes from Vera and create some also and interact with zwave!

Just to make sure, openluup is free to use but we need to pay for ALTUI on a monthly basis?

Is it normal that I only see less than 10 plugins in the app store on the ALTUI/openluup ?

Good to hear!

Just to make sure, openluup is free to use but we need to pay for ALTUI on a monthly basis?

openLuup is free. AltUI requires a donation if you want to remove the annoying ‘Unlicensed’ flag and footer (and I believe gives access to additional functionality.) Also, if you’ve donated to AltUI, and you’re using openLuup without bridging to a Vera (eg. using MySensors, or Razberry plugins) then you’d have to ask me for a licence key. I’d always appreciate a voluntary donation to Cancer Research UK, and openLuup has a link to that site on the plugin’s control page.

Is it normal that I only see less than 10 plugins in the app store on the ALTUI/openluup ?

It’s early days for the Alternative App Store, but anyone can put plugins into it. It’s not very populated yet, but many, many plugins run under openLuup and can be installed manually.

Edit: The App Store currently has 15 plugins available. Don’t confuse this page with the ‘Plugins’ page (one line above in the menu) which shows the plugins actually known to your current running system.

@akbooer: You don’t ask for anything if we are using openluup with a vera? why? :wink:

Also, is it normal that I can’t see anything under

Create Scene. Triggers, I choose a z-wave device, let say, a dimmer, that under Events, I have nothing ?

My goal with openluup it’s to offload a bunch of scene from my VeraPlus and use openluup to manage if possible ALL the scene I need!

It’s possible that you haven’t transferred all the device and service .xml files from a Vera. Without those, AltUI doesn’t know what services a device offers. The VeraBridge plugin (installed with one click from the Plugins page) allows you to link to Vera and pull down all the files, uncompressed as openLuup needs them, using the single GetFiles action on the VeraBridge control panel.

You don't ask for anything if we are using openluup with a vera? why?

…Donations are most welcome at any time.

Just running lua openLuup_getfiles.lua it’s not enough ?

Oh, yes, that’s fine… I don’t provide that utility any more, having built the functionality into the bridge.

So if you have the files, AltUI should show the services, so long as the device has been created correctly. Recall, also, that openLuup does not support UPnP-style triggers, but uses AltUI’s device watch capability, which is much more flexible.

Not sure to follow… so in Altui/openluup, can I create a scene that will be trigger based on a device in the veraedge? For example, having a scene triggered when a z-wave switch is turn off ?

—EDIT: I can see them now, just try under the verabridge plugin to get the files again!
—EDIT: I can see them under the trigger, but not under the action…

Yes.

For example, having a scene triggered when a z-wave switch is turn off ?

Yes. You can also do it the other way around and trigger a scene on Vera from a variable change on openLuup, but that is for another post.

Let’s get this going first… should be as simple as creating a scene, selecting the (bridged) device and variable from the Watch trigger menu, and specifying what the condition is you want to trigger on (often that’s ‘new == “1”’.) You really need to have taken a look at the AltUI documentation. UI-stuff is not my department!

Maybe @amg0 can give me a little update…